PDA

View Full Version : OMD mkII af Area

GyRob
11th May 2017, 07:04 PM
I was doing some tests today and found that with single point it way bigger than the oblong in fact it covers the area that 5 points shows .

I have not used single point much for BIF as I though it was to tiny but now I'm thinking it may well be worth having a few goes .
Well once the sun come back .
Rob.

Miketoll
12th May 2017, 06:53 PM
So that raises the question of what is the difference between the single point and the 5 points? Is that again bigger than it looks in the viewfinder or does it just react differently?

GyRob
12th May 2017, 08:16 PM
5 is bigger all round than what the 5 shows Mike .
Although I always set everything Manual I have set the metering to center weighted ,this shows a circle in the VF and this with single point is about the AF area I think this will be handy for BIF.
Rob

pdk42
13th May 2017, 07:19 AM
This is an interesting post:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59478635

It corroborates the comments above and provides extra information.

Graham_of_Rainham
13th May 2017, 08:05 AM
Digital is so much more fun than film ever was...

In the past only the likes of AP would test aspects of camera performance, now it's within the capabilities of most people to come up with ways of testing things.

GyRob
13th May 2017, 08:24 AM
Thanks for that Paul very interesting and very much matches my take on it ,I do think for BIF shots using single af point this is an advantage, single is often the best and fastest point to use and with it being bigger it may well make BIF shots that bit easier .

Birds in a tree with twigs around not so good as you always try to get the AF point on the eye and as birds tend to always be moving I'm sure it will be problematic because you will have to keep moving the camera a little until Part of the AF Point get the eye by then the bird may well have moved a little so it will be a chasing game .

That said if hand holding one can never hold the camera perfectly still anyway so some quick bursts should ensure you will get some that catch the eye I know this is not ideal but could be a work around .
Rob.

bassman
13th May 2017, 10:09 AM
Thanks for that Paul very interesting and very much matches my take on it ,I do think for BIF shots using single af point this is an advantage, single is often the best and fastest point to use and with it being bigger it may well make BIF shots that bit easier .

Birds in a tree with twigs around not so good as you always try to get the AF point on the eye and as birds tend to always be moving I'm sure it will be problematic because you will have to keep moving the camera a little until Part of the AF Point get the eye by then the bird may well have moved a little so it will be a chasing game .

That said if hand holding one can never hold the camera perfectly still anyway so some quick bursts should ensure you will get some that catch the eye I know this is not ideal but could be a work around .
Rob.

Do you think, if we had the facility to reduce the S-AF target area from 14x to say 20x , this could make a huge difference ! The camera allows you to increase the size of the S-AF target area, in the full VF, just need to be able to make it super small and even better if could rotate rectangle between horizontal and vertical.

Mark

GyRob
13th May 2017, 10:34 AM
I'm sure if it was able to be made smaller it would make a big difference as it does with the 1dxmkII .
It does slow the focus down a little but for birds on a twig this is not so much a problem at all.
Rob.