PDA

View Full Version : Firmware Update on Monday

wornish
6th May 2017, 04:43 PM
According to the rumours site Oly will release a firmware update on Monday.

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-new-e-m1ii-and-300mm-firmwares-will-be-released-on-monday-read-the-improvements-list/

OM USer
6th May 2017, 04:46 PM
No update for the E-M5 Mk 1 though (sigh!).

benvendetta
6th May 2017, 07:50 PM
I'm still waiting for a Pen F firmware upgrade.......

Ross the fiddler
8th May 2017, 06:35 AM
I'm still waiting for a Pen F firmware upgrade.......

Ha ha! It's looks like you don't have to wait any longer! :D
http://dl01.olympus-imaging.com/ww/ud2/ENU/0001/1220/index20a.html
Firmware Update for OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
[ PEN-F ]
[Precautions when updating firmware]

When you update your firmware to version 2.0, camera settings are reset.

Ver.2.0
(May. 08 2017)
Flash controllers manufactured by Profoto are supported.
Backup of camera settings is possible.
Art filters can be selected by using touch operations while viewing sample images in Art Filter mode.
Setting minimum value for shutter speed to increase ISO sensitivity while auto ISO is set is possible.
Improved operability of AF targeting pad.
Ver.1.1
(Dec. 01 2016)
Macro Flash STF-8 is supported.
Electronic Flash FL-900R is supported.
Improved stability of exposure when shooting videos.

The catch is here though, you probably can't back up your settings until after the update & only be useful if you get another update (or just want to back up settings).

https://www.olympus.com.au/Learn-Explore/Blog/User-1/May-2017/Latest-Firmware-Upgrades

wornish
8th May 2017, 07:35 AM
Updates all done and working. The viewfinder colours are much better, less harsh. Not tested the noise reduction yet.

Also updated 3 lenses.

Good job Olympus.

pdk42
8th May 2017, 08:42 AM
Ha ha! It's looks like you don't have to wait any longer! :D
http://dl01.olympus-imaging.com/ww/ud2/ENU/0001/1220/index20a.html

The catch is here though, you probably can't back up your settings until after the update & only be useful if you get another update (or just want to back up settings).

https://www.olympus.com.au/Learn-Explore/Blog/User-1/May-2017/Latest-Firmware-Upgrades

Nice to get an upgrade, but I was really hoping they'd add more dial customisation - specifically the exp comp and front knob. I'd love to use the exp comp for ISO and the front knob for AF. As it is, I use neither having no use for JPEG modes and the exp comp dial is too stiff to easily use when the camera is to the eye.

Bengeo
8th May 2017, 10:04 AM
Updates all done and working.

Please could you test one thing for me?

Re: "When shooting through the E-M1 Mark IIís viewfinder during Rec View, the camera now automatically switches to the rear LCD monitor for image playback when the eye is moved away from the viewfinder."

If the monitor screen is closed (screen facing in), does the image playback still show in the EVF? It should do, but there is a 1% chance they could cock this up!

Thanks.

wornish
8th May 2017, 10:26 AM
Please could you test one thing for me?

Re: "When shooting through the E-M1 Mark IIís viewfinder during Rec View, the camera now automatically switches to the rear LCD monitor for image playback when the eye is moved away from the viewfinder."

If the monitor screen is closed (screen facing in), does the image playback still show in the EVF? It should do, but there is a 1% chance they could cock this up!

Thanks.

With the rear screen facing in when I take my eye from the viewfinder the viewfinder goes off and the screen stays off. The viewfinder comes back on if my eye gets close again. Hope this helps.

Bengeo
8th May 2017, 10:38 AM
With the rear screen facing in when I take my eye from the viewfinder the viewfinder goes off and the screen stays off. The viewfinder comes back on if my eye gets close again. Hope this helps.

Thanks for testing that Dave. That is great - it's as it works now. After battling the Mk1 switching to the monitor for review I was frightened they'd mess up the Mk2. I can upgrade without fear now!

Westy
8th May 2017, 06:28 PM
Well em1 mkii and 300mm lens updated. Although I did have an oh s@#t moment. When I tried the camera and lens I couldn't get the 300mm lens to autofocus. I thought oh no I can see a trip to Olympus happening here. Anyway after removing and reattaching, things seem to be working OK. :rolleyes:

Miketoll
8th May 2017, 08:50 PM
Mine done too, not forgetting there is an update for the 14-100 as well.

Ross the fiddler
8th May 2017, 10:24 PM
Mine done too, not forgetting there is an update for the 14-100 as well.

That must be an interesting lens! :p But there is an update for the 12-100 f4 lens. ;) *yes :D

TonyR
9th May 2017, 04:53 AM
Anyone hazard a guess as to what improved noise reduction in sequential shooting with IS turned on means?

Bikie John
9th May 2017, 07:35 AM
I wondered if it was referring to mechanical rather than digital noise.

It still didn't make much sense!

John

wornish
9th May 2017, 07:38 AM
Having tried it now I can't see or hear any difference.

TonyR
9th May 2017, 08:11 AM
And why only when the IS is turned on?

It annoys me that Olympus never really tell us how anything works so that we can properly make decisions about how to use the camera. E.g. Focus Lock setting.

andym
9th May 2017, 08:21 AM
As I understand it(and I could be wrong) noise reduction is dark frame subtraction for long exposures:confused::confused:.
Noise filter reduces noise in jpgs.

I'm also confused but have done the update with no problem.

GyRob
9th May 2017, 08:46 AM
done the update all seems ok.
I wish they would make it so when using more than 1 focus point all the others assist if needed , say if using 5 points center is the main and if it struggles only then one of the other's kicks in
I think this would be a lot better .

Miketoll
9th May 2017, 09:41 AM
That must be an interesting lens! :p But there is an update for the 12-100 f4 lens. ;) *yes :D

Ooops, another senior moment. *yes

shenstone
9th May 2017, 11:38 AM
Updates all done and working. The viewfinder colours are much better, less harsh. .

Glad for that feedback its the key thing for me I was not happy with them before, but living with them for the other benefits of the MkII

Regards
Andy

raichea
9th May 2017, 02:45 PM
A user on another forum has complained of focus inaccuracy with the 12-100 after the update... not sure that the lens update was applied, but think so.

wornish
9th May 2017, 02:49 PM
A user on another forum has complained of focus inaccuracy with the 12-100 after the update... not sure that the lens update was applied, but think so.

Can you share a link or name the forum?

I have just been trying my 12-100 and it works great.

raichea
9th May 2017, 03:34 PM
It's the MyOlympus group on Yahoo...you have to join to get access.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/MyOlympus/info

Geoff Clinton
9th May 2017, 05:43 PM
Just done the camera update, then tried the update for the 12-100m. Disaster
the lens no longer sends aperture values to camera and no displayed image on either the EVF or back screen. Has anyone any ideas?

Growltiger
9th May 2017, 06:15 PM
Just done the camera update, then tried the update for the 12-100m. Disaster
the lens no longer sends aperture values to camera and no displayed image on either the EVF or back screen. Has anyone any ideas?
In this order: Take lens off, put it back on. Turn the camera off and on. Take the battery out and put it back in. Utter incantations. Send it back to Olympus.

wornish
9th May 2017, 08:58 PM
First - Don't panic.
Then follow instructions from Growltiger. If the camera update ended with an OK and then the lens update ended with and OK you are fine.

The lens just needs to be removed and put back, the camera power cycled. Also, make sure you have not pulled down the ring to put in in manual focus mode.

Hope it works out OK.

Geoff Clinton
9th May 2017, 09:52 PM
Thanks for suggestions, tried all of them to no avail. When I tried to update the 12-100 lens the whole system seemed to go into lala land. I left it for about 30mins but it never resolved itself. With other lenses everything is ok. I will talk to Olympus service tomorrow morning, but I guess its back to Olympus for it.
Thanks for comments.
Geoff

Gwyver
10th May 2017, 09:17 AM
Just a reminder - the current version of Olympus Camera Updater does NOT restore the shutter speed, aperture and Exp Comp values that you may have previously associated with your Custom Mode settings.

This may be a problem for you if you use a custom mode to spring into 'action' shooting.

Walti
10th May 2017, 09:31 AM
Just a reminder - the current version of Olympus Camera Updater does NOT restore the shutter speed, aperture and Exp Comp values that you may have previously associated with your Custom Mode settings.

This may be a problem for you if you use a custom mode to spring into 'action' shooting.

Just found that out! my C3 was set to manual exposure 1/1000s and f7.1, restored it became f22! It kept the 1/1000s though....

Bikie John
10th May 2017, 01:55 PM
Did mine without incident this morning - E-M1 MkII body, 12-100 and 300 lenses. About 15 minutes start to finish. Some of the timing surprised me a little. The download phase was much slower for the body than the lenses, which is no surprise as it's much bigger. But the lenses took about the same time to update as the body once the process switched to the camera - about 2-3 minutes each. I put a fresh battery in for the update and it shows 98% afterwards.

As far as I can tell the 12-100 is behaving OK.

John

Geoff Clinton
10th May 2017, 02:15 PM
Talked to Olympus this morning, seems my lens has to go on holiday to Portugal!! Talked with SRS my local Olympus dealer, there have been some problems with download site at peak times. Guess next time I will wait.
Thanks for all comments

Geoff

Gwyver
10th May 2017, 03:05 PM
Did mine without incident this morning - E-M1 MkII body, 12-100 and 300 lenses. ...

As far as I can tell the 12-100 is behaving OK.

John

My 12-100 is OK, once I'd solved the self-inflicted gotcha!
After the update, the IS had become switched off, and I couldn't use the SCP to change it. Then I noticed that the IS switch on the lens was in the 'Off' position.

Seems like all the messing about to access the USB port and rotate the LCD had bumped the switch :confused:

JohnGG
11th May 2017, 12:32 PM
I've just done the update of both the E-M1 Mk 2 and the 12-100 and the process appears to have completed without error. The very long wait while the 12-100 did its thing was rather nerve wracking though :eek:

Cheers,

JohnGG

wornish
11th May 2017, 12:34 PM
I've just done the update of both the E-M1 Mk 2 and the 12-100 and the process appears to have completed without error. The very long wait while the 12-100 did its thing was rather nerve wracking though :eek:

Cheers,

JohnGG

I agree about the long wait for the 12-100 being nerve wracking, I was starting to worry but patience paid off.

Bikie John
11th May 2017, 02:59 PM
Talked to Olympus this morning, seems my lens has to go on holiday to Portugal!! Talked with SRS my local Olympus dealer, there have been some problems with download site at peak times. Guess next time I will wait.
Thanks for all comments

Geoff

This is pretty shoddy and highlights the precarious nature of this update process. I would very much rather download the update and copy it to a card to update the body, like every other manufacturer that I have ever had does. Or failing that for the update process to show more clearly what it is doing and, where possible, giving a "cancel" option. This is another one of those things that we discuss on here every now and then.

I usually try and do updates fairly early morning UK time, in the hope that the load on Oly's servers will be lowest then.

John

wornish
11th May 2017, 03:15 PM
This is pretty shoddy and highlights the precarious nature of this update process. I would very much rather download the update and copy it to a card to update the body, like every other manufacturer that I have ever had does. Or failing that for the update process to show more clearly what it is doing and, where possible, giving a "cancel" option. This is another one of those things that we discuss on here every now and then.

I usually try and do updates fairly early morning UK time, in the hope that the load on Oly's servers will be lowest then.

John

I don't think it makes any difference, whether you load it to a card first or not. I think the update works the same way . The Oly software downloads the file from Oly's servers. Then it confirms file received is correct by verifying checksum. Then it transfer file to cameras card. Then runs update of firmware memory. Then do checksum check again and then if its correct display the OK sign. Don't see how the other manufactures process is any different. Except you get a chance to stop at the load onto card stage. Perhaps Oly should give you a final chance to say Go ahead once its downloaded. But that wouldn't stop the occasional hiccup.

The only really safe alternative is to have sufficient firmware memory to hold the existing version and the new version then you can always go back to the existing one. Memory is so cheap these days it could easily be done.

Gwyver
11th May 2017, 04:28 PM
I don't think it makes any difference, whether you load it to a card first or not. I think the update works the same way .
I agree
The Oly software downloads the file from Oly's servers. Then it confirms file received is correct by verifying checksum. Then it transfer file to camera's card.
Dave,
I think this should say ... 'transfer file to camera's memory'.
Olympus update instructions always used to recommend that users remove the SD card before applying a f/w update.
Then runs update of firmware memory. Then do checksum check again and then if its correct display the OK sign. Don't see how the other manufactures process is any different. Except you get a chance to stop at the load onto card stage. Perhaps Oly should give you a final chance to say Go ahead once its downloaded. But that wouldn't stop the occasional hiccup.

The only really safe alternative is to have sufficient firmware memory to hold the existing version and the new version then you can always go back to the existing one. Memory is so cheap these days it could easily be done.
When update hiccups ' brick a camera', it is most probable that the f/w writing (i.e non-volatile memory flashing task) has errored. This type of error may occur regardless of whether the update is installed from a SD card or the camera's internal RAM. In such an event the camera is unlikely to have enough remaining trustworthy code to be capable of rewriting the previous f/w.

Bikie John
11th May 2017, 06:45 PM
I don't think it makes any difference, whether you load it to a card first or not.

In terms of the overall function, I agree. And as long as it all works, I agree.

Where I find the Oly process sub-optimal is that it doesn't tell you what's going on, or give any opportunity to cancel out of it. If the download is sticky, there is no real reason why you shouldn't just cancel out of it and try again later. The instrumentation is a better nowadays than it was and you can reasonably deduce which stage it is at, which I find is a big relief compared with how it used to be when it was much more of a black box process which required considerable faith.

There are always things that can go wrong. But regardless of method, if congestion on the servers can brick a camera the method is not good.

John

TonyR
11th May 2017, 07:29 PM
In terms of the overall function, I agree. And as long as it all works, I agree.

Where I find the Oly process sub-optimal is that it doesn't tell you what's going on, or give any opportunity to cancel out of it. If the download is sticky, there is no real reason why you shouldn't just cancel out of it and try again later. The instrumentation is a better nowadays than it was and you can reasonably deduce which stage it is at, which I find is a big relief compared with how it used to be when it was much more of a black box process which required considerable faith.

There are always things that can go wrong. But regardless of method, if congestion on the servers can brick a camera the method is not good.

John

The download from the internet stage does have a cancel button. After this stage, the dialog box changes and the cancel button disappears for obvious reasons.

Growltiger
11th May 2017, 09:14 PM
Failure of the download does not brick the device. Only when the download is completed does the actual update start, when the red and yellow warning symbols are shown on the display.

Using an SD card is actually more risky, not less. There can be problems with the card, whereas there are unlikely to be problems with the memory into which the update is loaded before it is applied.

On several occasions people who have bricked a lens or camera have admitted they accidentally disturbed it or turned it off before it was finished.

Ross the fiddler
12th May 2017, 12:48 AM
Failure of the download does not brick the device. Only when the download is completed OK does the actual update start, when the warning is shown on the display.

Using an SD card is actually more risky, not less. There can be problems with the card, whereas there are unlikely to be problems with the memory into which the update is loaded before it is applied.

On several occasions people who have bricked a lens or camera have admitted they accidentally disturbed it or turned it off before it was finished.

Maybe you didn't quite mean it that way. :confused:
When OK is displayed, all is finished, is it not?

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/S5035124-s.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/72892)

And this is transferring (as far as I know), as seen from an older version of Updater though.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/S5035121-adj-cr-s.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/72891)

Bikie John
12th May 2017, 09:26 AM
The download from the internet stage does have a cancel button. After this stage, the dialog box changes and the cancel button disappears for obvious reasons.

I hadn't noticed that, thank you. The process has been improved over the years. Now we have a percentage clock which as far as I can see refers to progress of the download from the web to the host PC, this is a big help in reducing the nervous tension.

John

Growltiger
12th May 2017, 11:31 AM
Maybe you didn't quite mean it that way. :confused:
When OK is displayed, all is finished, is it not?

You are correct, it was ambiguous, I have just edited it to take out the OK and clarify it.

Basically it first downloads the update and sticks it in memory in the camera. It doesn't matter if this fails, no damage is done.

Then it does the dangerous bit, when it updates the firmware. During this stage there is a warning on the back of the camera to touch nothing. A proportion of people don't notice the warning and touch something, with bad results.

Geoff Clinton
17th May 2017, 03:58 PM
12-100 LENS UPDATE
Just received lens back from Olympus service was great from UK to Portugal and back 6 days. Service report indicates the Power System has been repaired, so it seems it was a random failure not associated with the lens firmware upgrade.

Geoff

Bikie John
17th May 2017, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the update Geoff, that is a relief.

John