PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see from Olympus next?

Ian
4th February 2009, 02:19 PM
I have posted the same question on FTU, but I thought it would be interesting to ask e-group members also:

Compared to the years up to 2007, Olympus has kept the new models flowing regularly:

2007 - E-410, E-510, E-3
2008 - E-420, E-520, E-30

The current line up seems to have most of the bases covered:

E-420 - budget price and compact, but no IS.
E-520 - compact and feature rich, yet remains affordable.
E-30 - the new-generation Olympus DSLR that bridges the gap between the E-520 and the E-3.
E-3 - ruggedised flagship with plenty of controls and accessories.

So where will Olympus go next? If the current range doesn't tick all the boxes, what would you like to see from them later this year.

By the way, I'm focusing on E-System models, not Micro Four Thirds.

Ian

MarkVarley
4th February 2009, 02:39 PM
There is a new model coming soon, though I can't remember if it's between E3 and E30 or between E30 and E5xx, (my memory is totally f****d), but whatever it is it seems to be another 'level'.

StephenL
4th February 2009, 02:47 PM
It seems to me that the E-410 to E-420, and E-510 to E-520 have both been "technical" upgrades of the same product.
The E-30 is a new niche.
The E-1 eventually morphed into the E-3.
I think the next upgrade needed, though for me not desperately, is from the E-3.
It will need more pixels (to satisfy the numbers game) and maybe go back a step to the better ergonomics of the E-1. It will be an evolution not a revolution. It will probably have "built-in" twin releases and extra battery power, obviating the need for an extra grip. It will also need better noise control to satisfy those who need to shoot at high ISOs. But it needs to retain that certain "quirkiness" to keep it different from Caniks.

RogerMac
4th February 2009, 03:34 PM
The one thing that I really, really want is a better manual, starting with hypertext pointers (click on a line in the index and you jump to the right page) The E500 had such a manual and it was so much better than than the other manuals for later models.

Stupid really since converting an existing manual to hypertext should only take a few days work.

Roger

MarkVarley
4th February 2009, 03:41 PM
Features I want to see added:
1. A built-in AF-assist lamp, red or orange.
2. A remote IR receiver on the rear of the body also.
3. A grip that fits the whole range.
4. Changeable focus screens, personally I want one with a split-focus and a 'thirds' grid.

Gwyver
4th February 2009, 03:51 PM
An E3 type of machine with 14bit ADC to get the most out of/into the Raw file and either a sensor with improved dynamic range or f/w assist to make capture of bracketted files for subsequent HDR pp more automated.

Oh, a 3" high-res LCD would be great.

This would enable everyone to better exploit Olympus's wonderful lenses .

brob108
4th February 2009, 04:25 PM
I'd certainly appreciate better higher ISO ability - if Olympus could match the performance of the D700 on a four thirds sensor that would be amazing (though probably impossible). It would certainly save me a lot of money!

Speaking of the D700, dare I mention the f words (Full Frame)? How that would fit with the current lens line up may not be possible but it does seem to be the way things are going.

Two CF card slots would certainly be very helpful too.

I feel the E3 is starting to struggle a bit to keep up with what the latest batch of cameras have to offer (not that there's anything wrong with the camera and what it produces, it's just the march of technology).

I'm not sure if Olympus would want to go into the higher pro bracket (to compete with the Sony A900, D700, 5D mkII) but it would be interesting if they did.

MarkVarley
4th February 2009, 04:28 PM
I'd certainly appreciate better higher ISO ability - if Olympus could match the performance of the D700 on a four thirds sensor that would be amazing (though probably impossible). It would certainly save me a lot of money!

I'd also like to see a high-ISO improvement, a couple of times I could really have done with the ability to go to a higher ISO and not lose so much quality doing so.

benvendetta
4th February 2009, 04:34 PM
Can Oly really sustain both the E-4xx and E-5xx series now that the E-30 is here?
A three-tier range, including the pro-level E-3 is all they really need IMO (but no doubt others will disgree!). I always felt that prior to the E-30 the two lower series bodies were too close together (again, you will probably disagree!). I consider that there is more of a difference between the E-30 and E-3 (the pixel numbers ARE important to many punters). The E-30 is to the E-3 what the Nikon D90 is to the D300 (we know that Oly is unlikely to have a D700).
I would have thought that combining the 'best bits' of these two ranges (E-4xx and E-5xx) would be sensible (a true OM sucessor I suppose/hope and to which I may buy into). I see no reason for Oly ever to want, or need a larger line up as I doubt if they will ever be selling dSLRs in the same numbers as Canikon, and they need to make money like all of us. We can hope they will, but I consider that they are too far off the pace (in terms of mass acceptance by the general public, and sales) IMO.
I am happy with my E-3 but am always happy to see whay Oly has up its sleeve.........

Ian
4th February 2009, 05:17 PM
Can Oly really sustain both the E-4xx and E-5xx series now that the E-30 is here?
A three-tier range, including the pro-level E-3 is all they really need IMO (but no doubt others will disgree!). I always felt that prior to the E-30 the two lower series bodies were too close together (again, you will probably disagree!). I consider that there is more of a difference between the E-30 and E-3 (the pixel numbers ARE important to many punters). The E-30 is to the E-3 what the Nikon D90 is to the D300 (we know that Oly is unlikely to have a D700).
I would have thought that combining the 'best bits' of these two ranges (E-4xx and E-5xx) would be sensible (a true OM sucessor I suppose/hope and to which I may buy into). I see no reason for Oly ever to want, or need a larger line up as I doubt if they will ever be selling dSLRs in the same numbers as Canikon, and they need to make money like all of us. We can hope they will, but I consider that they are too far off the pace (in terms of mass acceptance by the general public, and sales) IMO.
I am happy with my E-3 but am always happy to see whay Oly has up its sleeve.........

That's interesting - my opinion os completely the reverse :)

The E-4xx and E-5xx differ considerably in controls, and lack of IS in the case of the E-4xx.

Meanwhile, I feel that the E-30 has almost all the key features of the E-30, and more, apart from the alloy body and weather proofing. The latter two will be deal-makers for some, but I'd say that if I had to choose between the two myself, I'd go for the E-30 now.

Ina

Ian
4th February 2009, 05:20 PM

Speaking of the D700, dare I mention the f words (Full Frame)? How that would fit with the current lens line up may not be possible but it does seem to be the way things are going.

Two CF card slots would certainly be very helpful too.

I feel the E3 is starting to struggle a bit to keep up with what the latest batch of cameras have to offer (not that there's anything wrong with the camera and what it produces, it's just the march of technology).

I'm not sure if Olympus would want to go into the higher pro bracket (to compete with the Sony A900, D700, 5D mkII) but it would be interesting if they did.

There is no prospect of a larger sensor for Four Thirds. It's already 'full frame' but for a smaller area sensor than 135 format full frame.

There is, however, certainly plenty of prospect for continued improvement in sensor performance. I feel Panasonic is about two years behind Canon and Nikon in this respect, and will catch upover the next 3-4 years. There is a law of diminishing returns and this should surely mean the gap will narrow.

Ian

Nick Temple-Fry
4th February 2009, 05:34 PM
Well I suppose a successor to the E-3 sometime in 2010 with about 14mp and improved high iso performance would be nice.

But I think what e-system is crying out for is a longer lens in the pro range, a 'big brother' for the 50-200 with the same sort of optical quality and characteristics. Something like a 150-400 (or even better 500). The E-3 (and I have no doubt the E-30 will be) is a great wildlife cameras with an intrinsic advantage given by the smaller sensor, but handicapped by the lack of fast long glass.

Nick

Ian
4th February 2009, 05:53 PM
An E3 type of machine with 14bit ADC to get the most out of/into the Raw file and either a sensor with improved dynamic range or f/w assist to make capture of bracketted files for subsequent HDR pp more automated.

Oh, a 3" high-res LCD would be great.

This would enable everyone to better exploit Olympus's wonderful lenses .

I'm still not convinced that 14-bit sampling is anything but a gimmick unless you have a very clean signal and that means a very large sensor or very large photosites. According to DxOMark, the E-3 has comparable colour sensitivity and tonal range with the Canon EOS-50D, which has the same pixel pitch as the E-3, as well as 14-bit sampling.

You can over-sample (to 16 or 32 bits) from RAW in post processing anyway.

Ian

Makonde
4th February 2009, 07:24 PM
I want two things:

1. A successor to the E3 that is a significant upgrade in terms of lower available light ability: ISO, and low light autofocus. I don't want E-30 - like bells and whistles on it - I want the best possible image quality from the widest possible range of light. At fair value of course (so they can save on the bells and whistles). I think it is very much in Olympus' interest to have a really good 'flagship' in terms of sheer photographic firepower. Oh yes, and I don't want a crummy XD card but a second CF slot.

2. A Micro Four Thirds camera that also has a variant that maximises image quality, one that is aimed at serious photography with light weight and small size. Not just one that is aimed at some marketing person's notion of 'in betweeners' who want something better than a small format P&S but 'aren't ready' for the full works with a DSLR.

How about a 'modular approach' with bodies? i.e. you can select your body from the same range but at different prices according to:

- optional weatherproofing
- metal or plastic
- optional sensor MP
- processor / 'art ' bbells and whistles

...and so forth. The idea being that instead of having a succession of 'whole cameras' you can buy something where as time passes, money becomes available, you can upgrade your sensor or your processor while the body, battery and controls are unchanged?

shenstone
4th February 2009, 08:28 PM
That's interesting - my opinion os completely the reverse :)

The E-4xx and E-5xx differ considerably in controls, and lack of IS in the case of the E-4xx.

Meanwhile, I feel that the E-30 has almost all the key features of the E-30, and more, apart from the alloy body and weather proofing. The latter two will be deal-makers for some, but I'd say that if I had to choose between the two myself, I'd go for the E-30 now.

Ina

I'd agree with the last statement and therefore Oly need to address this with a true new flagship model ASAP and also sorrt out the pricing between the models - the E-30 is at list prices overpriced to it's competition and trying to be an E-3 replacement rather than where I think it should be aiming

Regards
Andy

dbutch
4th February 2009, 10:33 PM
I guess moving the E-3 up slightly so putting the E-30 in fresh air! I would like to see something like wireless transfer - great for event work and also sports etc.. I believe some of the Canons can relay live view images back.

How about a nice wireless macro light system, 2 simple lens mounted units triggered by the current controller in the camera.

I like the idea of a 4xx ti, metal body some seals, multi spot metering: ) but I don't believe it would happen because the sealed lenses are big. But this could be an opening for a pro spec micro4/3 range.

Cheers

Dave

benvendetta
4th February 2009, 11:03 PM
I'd agree with the last statement and therefore Oly need to address this with a true new flagship model ASAP and also sorrt out the pricing between the models - the E-30 is at list prices overpriced to it's competition and trying to be an E-3 replacement rather than where I think it should be aiming

Regards
Andy

All Olys sem to be overpriced when they are first released, which is a strange way of trying to break more into a saturated market IMO.
And my views on the E-4xx and E-5xx were based on something I read recently about them becoming one, but don't ask me where I saw this as I can't remember. But I think it may come.

Graham_of_Rainham
4th February 2009, 11:09 PM
I have suggested this before but I think it is worth posting again:

I would like an upgrade to the software (Camera, Master & Studio) to provide the capability of storing camera settings onto a card and programing the camera settings to a card from Master and Studio.

This would provide the facility to simply plug in a card pre-programmed for whatever type of specific use that you require. On power up with a card with a setup file on it the camera asks if you want to use the card settings.

It would sit as an extension to "My Mode" and be selected, set, saved in the same way. :cool:

Also

I still use multi-spot metering on my OM4Ti and C8080WZ, I'd like to see it incorporated back into the system. It was a brilliant idea then and it's still a great one. *yes

Thanks (In Antisipation) :)

JohnGG
4th February 2009, 11:52 PM
I would like to see the long macro lens finally appear and I would also like to see a shift lens (tilt as well would be a real bonus). I also agree with Nick regarding a big brother for the 50-200 ... how about a 180-450mm f/3.5-4.5 SWD?

An update of the E-3 to move it back ahead of the newer E-520 and E-30 feature-wise would be nice. I'm not really bothered with moving up to 12 or 14 MP, I'd be happy sticking to 10 MP with a noticeable increase in IQ, especially at higher ISOs. I second (or third or however many) the calls to drop XD in favour of a second CF slot and for a higher resolution screen. New grip with HLD-2 (E-1) quality and battery. Nearly forgot, multi-spot metering like the OM3/OM4 *please

I'd also love to see an update of the E-1, a few more MP but retain the legendary colours. Better IQ above 200 ISO and ISO steps in 1/3 EVs. Bigger screen. Second CF slot. Retain the HLD-2 and Dungeness 'B' battery *yes

Regarding Micro 4/3rds, I wonder if the dimensions of the format would permit a true SLR with optical viewfinder if a pellicle (Canon Pellix, EOS RT & EOS 1n RS) rather than an instant-return mirror was used. The non-moving mirror would require considerably less room and there may be enough leeway for a mirror big enough to avoid vignetting. Even if technically feasible there may be patent issues to overcome :(

Not too much to ask for :o

Cheers,

JohnGG

ianc
5th February 2009, 08:28 PM
I would like to see more prime lenses particularly a 400 or 500mm f5.6ish to keep the price and weight down, a 7mm non fisheye and a 35 or 40mm f1.4.
On the camera front I want a splash proof micro 4/3 with an eye-level finder and of course a range of splash proof micro 4/3 lenses to go with it.

Ian C.

Jonesgj
5th February 2009, 09:21 PM
Great Thread.... we ought to have a regular forum where we can discuss 'wants' and what the other manufacturers are doing that we think Oly should look at.

I nearly went to Canon (The Darkside as my son says!) and considered Nikon

I love my E-520 and all the its functionality and the lens I have already invested-in, but I would love to have:

3" High Res LCD Display
more megapixels
Brighter / larger eye piece
Faster focusing?
Price tag of a 50D / D90 (or less *yes )

...thats all

Now the E-30 is out, and its over priced (in my humble opinion) and doesnt have my top 'want' ........

blu-by-u
6th February 2009, 01:20 AM

Now the E-30 is out, and its over priced (in my humble opinion) and doesnt have my top 'want' ........
I agree on that overpriced bit. The other thing, it's a pretty large camera. Must all pro and semi pro cameras have a certain size to comply with? I am pretty sure all that is in the E-30 can be housed into a E-520 body.

And Oly still have not included an eye detector. Please off that LCD when the eye is in the viewfinder.

David M
6th February 2009, 01:47 AM
I'd like to see some new lenses especially in the Pro/High grade range.

The first would be the 100mm macro that's been on the roadmap for ages. And a longer macro in the 150mm to 180mm range also in the Pro/High grade range.

Also nice would be a 200-400mm f3.5-f5.6 SWD to compliment the 50-200 SWD.

But even nicer would be something like a 400mm f3.5. The old manual focus 400mm f3.5 Nikkor was a spectacular piece of glass 20 years ago so imagine what could be done with that sort of specification these days.

As far as an update to the E-3, I'd like the sensor and level gauge from the E-30. And for me you could lose the pop-up flash. That would make the body slightly smaller and easier to weather/dust proof.

blu-by-u
6th February 2009, 04:38 AM
....And for me you could lose the pop-up flash. That would make the body slightly smaller and easier to weather/dust proof.
That cannot be done. Oly chose to use the built in flash/light to trigger the FL36/50R remotely.

Wreckdiver
6th February 2009, 09:07 AM
Most of the things I would like to see on future DSLRs have been covered by what has been previously mentioned, dual CF slots, 3" screen, improved noise, more pixels etc. However, I would also like to see a redesign of the layout of buttons and controls (from the E-3).

The exposure mode control has returned with the E-30 and that should stay.
The Play button should be moved to below the screen, which it is a more logical place for it.
The Exposure compensation button should be moved to where the Play button is now i.e. so it lies under the right thumb.
A manual switch for focus mode - like the E-1. Just C S MF - C+Manual, S+manual etc. still being done in menus.
Larger function buttons that can more easily pressed whilst wearing gloves.
The External flash connector and Remote cable connector put behind a hinged rubber door - like the Connector cover on the E-3. Get rid of those horrible, fiddly screw caps.
For a top-end camera incorporate the battery grip into the body (like certain other manufacturers) and accomodating 2 batteries. I tend to keep my HLD-4 permenantly attached these days.

Steve

Who's_E
6th February 2009, 10:31 AM
I am quite happy with the lenses available from Olympus, Panasonic and Sigma.

What I would like to see is my settings "remembered" when I update the firmware. The new focusing control on the E3 is worth the annoyance, though some other updates were not.

Carry on producing the E330 so I can have a shiny new one! Pleeeeaaaase...

Nick

Xpres
6th February 2009, 10:48 AM
How about.... being able to send your E1 back to Oly and having the sensor upgraded?
I still use mine a lot - I like it - I would pay the price of a new camera to do it!.

benvendetta
6th February 2009, 12:47 PM
I agree on that overpriced bit. The other thing, it's a pretty large camera. Must all pro and semi pro cameras have a certain size to comply with? I am pretty sure all that is in the E-30 can be housed into a E-520 body.

And Oly still have not included an eye detector. Please off that LCD when the eye is in the viewfinder.

All pro bodies are large and heavy as they have to be strong and withstand years of abuse (in the old days at least!). However, the Oly OM's were supposed to be pro level and of course they were tiny. So there goes logic!
I would love a true small digital OM with a decent VF, a really tough body (ideally magnesium), weather sealing and a great spec.
I would even give up my E-3 if Oly ever released something like that :)

Ray Shotter
6th February 2009, 12:49 PM
I would like to see more prime lenses particularly a 400 or 500mm f5.6ish to keep the price and weight down, a 7mm non fisheye and a 35 or 40mm f1.4.
On the camera front I want a splash proof micro 4/3 with an eye-level finder and of course a range of splash proof micro 4/3 lenses to go with it.

Ian C.

A few more prime lenses would be ideal but the one which I would like to have is a 25mm f1.4.

I would like to see such a lens produced in the micro Four Thirds format also. Panasonic promised such a lens for their micro Four Thirds Lumix G1 - but I have seen no sign of it mentioned in the press to date.

However, I would prefer Olympus to produce such a lens in both 4/3rds and m4/3rds formats.

Ray.

ianc
6th February 2009, 01:19 PM
A few more prime lenses would be ideal but the one which I would like to have is a 25mm f1.4.

I would like to see such a lens produced in the micro Four Thirds format also. Panasonic promised such a lens for their micro Four Thirds Lumix G1 - but I have seen no sign of it mentioned in the press to date.

However, I would prefer Olympus to produce such a lens in both 4/3rds and m4/3rds formats.

Ray.

Panasonic were showing what they hoped to bring out in the next year or so for micro4/3 so I doubt if we will hear anything about the 25mm until they are about to release it.

On the micro4/3 front how about a camera and lenses inspired by the classic rangefinder cameras, Leica M, Contax G series. Compact with an optical viewfinder automatically changing framing lines/finder magnification as you change lens. You could produce for it a 12mm, 18mm, 25mm, 45mm and 65mm. This would make a fantastic compact walk about kit and I'm sure many Nikon and Canon SLR users would buy one as a second camera.

Ian C.

DerekW
6th February 2009, 05:53 PM
I would like to see an external design published for the camera - this would enable one to know how the various functions are supposed to perform - specific examples would include the how the various focusing modes are designed to be used.

I would also like see the cameras having the ability to export a text file showing the various menu settings. I would not expect the data to be be imported as the location and values ranges of the data could change as a result of firmware changes. The export could be either via the memory card or via Oly Studio or Master.

Wreckdiver
6th February 2009, 07:22 PM
One other thing. A GPS receiver to add the location to the Exif data.

Steve

crimbo
7th February 2009, 12:51 PM
I'm still not convinced that 14-bit sampling is anything but a gimmick unless you have a very clean signal and that means a very large sensor or very large photosites. According to DxOMark, the E-3 has comparable colour sensitivity and tonal range with the Canon EOS-50D, which has the same pixel pitch as the E-3, as well as 14-bit sampling.

You can over-sample (to 16 or 32 bits) from RAW in post processing anyway.

Ian

got to disagree Ian. If we had 16 bit sampling and the ability to impose a D-log curve on the data we could gain great highlight and shadow preservation as we then map the data down to 8 bit for screen or print
For those of us who like the tone-mapped HDR captured images, imagine being able to capture all 32 bits in one button press.
Yes the down side we would have to live with is the larger raw files.

also I would like an EVF (I have no real gripe with them) and an electronic shutter - silent and fast

Oh and most important for us astophotographers - a way of taking the IR filter out of the light path

Makonde
7th February 2009, 12:58 PM
To those who have said they would like to see additional gadgets, I put the question:

Would you rather see those gadgets added, than the basic camera firepower improved by better performance in low available light?

I see Oly tempted to go down the route of adding bells and whistles, while losing purchasers who want the best image quality. Those are the purchasers who set the trend and the tone - the pro photographers and the really good amateurs, whose photos people see and think: "now if I had that camera..."

MarkVarley
7th February 2009, 01:30 PM
To those who have said they would like to see additional gadgets, I put the question:

Would you rather see those gadgets added, than the basic camera firepower improved by better performance in low available light?

I see Oly tempted to go down the route of adding bells and whistles, while losing purchasers who want the best image quality. Those are the purchasers who set the trend and the tone - the pro photographers and the really good amateurs, whose photos people see and think: "now if I had that camera..."
Some gadgets I would use, IS for one and the pitch/roll for another, but the fancy jpeg processing I'll never use.
A gadget-laden camera is always going to come second place to a camera with good solid reliable capabilities, I'd happily ditch many features to be able to go to ISO3200 with barely noticable noise.

blu-by-u
7th February 2009, 02:12 PM
I forgot.. I would love to have that aperture ring to work on my E-system. It would be very useful on all mode..PSAM. Why limit this to only Lumix and Leica bodies?

David M
7th February 2009, 02:14 PM

The only feature of the E-30 I'd like to see added to the replacement for the E-3 is the level gauges.

A stripped down E-3 with the best sensor available would be my camera of choice. I never use flash so don't need the built in flash. I only ever use aperture priority or manual so don't need all the other exposure modes and I only shoot raw so I don't need the JPG options.

Multi spot metering would be nice so I suppose what I'm looking for is a weatherproof, digital, auto-focussing OM4 in a E-3 style body.

Edit. Another feature I'd like to see is ISO down to at least ISO 25 as sometimes ISO 100 is to fast and using ND filters with the 7-14 is impractical.

Wreckdiver
7th February 2009, 02:21 PM

I would gladly sacrifice bells and whistles for improved low light and noise performance. The pixel count doesn't really need increasing, especially at the expense of noise. A bigger screen would be very useful and wouldn't impinge on camera performance. Incorporated battery grip and GPS are not a necessity.

However, the improvements I mentioned above regarding physical layout of the controls are just cosmetic and would improve the ease of use of the camera. I see this as an area where Olympus could improve their products at no extra cost to the end price. Some of the E-3 reviews I read in magazines did knock the layout of the controls and Oly should pick up on this.

Steve

sapper
7th February 2009, 10:02 PM
I would like a radio control so I could shoot "tethered" without actually being tethered if you know what I mean.

andym
7th February 2009, 11:13 PM
E1 style buttons that "click" a little when you push them and are a little larger.

Ellie
8th February 2009, 09:10 PM
I'd like a camera with a rotating/tiltable rear screen, IS and decent resolution with low noise at higher ISO and in low light.

I used the E1 the other weekend (thanks to Thea), it was lovely but there's no point in me buying one because it doesn't have the features I really want. I did like being able to see the settings without having to squint into the viewfinder or look at the menu back of the camera, so that would be good too.

I know there are people who absolutely adore their E300 or E330, perhaps an upgrade would be a good idea.

Other features such as the art filters and scene settings might be fun, but I can't say I'd use them - I seem to be happiest with the Aperture Priority setting, and forget about everything else.

Prices are going to be a problem though, and not just for cameras and other photographic equipment. We have friends who have a shop, they've told us that wholesale prices are rocketing because of the poor Euro/Sterling exchange. Apparently their wholesalers/importers buy in Euros and then convert the prices to Sterling, I presume it's the same for most imported things.

ianc
9th February 2009, 10:38 AM
I'd like a camera with a rotating/tiltable rear screen, IS and decent resolution with low noise at higher ISO and in low light.

I used the E1 the other weekend (thanks to Thea), it was lovely but there's no point in me buying one because it doesn't have the features I really want. I did like being able to see the settings without having to squint into the viewfinder or look at the menu back of the camera, so that would be good too.

I know there are people who absolutely adore their E300 or E330, perhaps an upgrade would be a good idea.

Other features such as the art filters and scene settings might be fun, but I can't say I'd use them - I seem to be happiest with the Aperture Priority setting, and forget about everything else.

Prices are going to be a problem though, and not just for cameras and other photographic equipment. We have friends who have a shop, they've told us that wholesale prices are rocketing because of the poor Euro/Sterling exchange. Apparently their wholesalers/importers buy in Euros and then convert the prices to Sterling, I presume it's the same for most imported things.

It sounds like you want an E3.

As for prices, I work in photographic retail and cost prices are going up across the board. Most companies are putting up their prices between 15 and 25%. If you are going to buy in the next few months it's worth doing so now, if you can, while shops still have stock at pre-increase prices.

Ian C.

Steve Lane
9th February 2009, 12:06 PM
"Multi spot metering would be nice so I suppose what I'm looking for is a weatherproof, digital, auto-focussing OM4 in a E-3 style body."

Here Here! - put this in a E-4xx body and produce a high grade 70mm F2 lens I would be happy!

Cheers, Steve.

MarkVarley
9th February 2009, 12:18 PM
I'd like to see massive discount vouchers for loyal long-time users of Olympus for upgrades...

benvendetta
9th February 2009, 01:25 PM

As for prices, I work in photographic retail and cost prices are going up across the board. Most companies are putting up their prices between 15 and 25%. If you are going to buy in the next few months it's worth doing so now, if you can, while shops still have stock at pre-increase prices.

Ian C.

Why the heck are prices going up in these uncertain economic times? Do companies actually what us to buy their products???? Prices should be coming down!

DerekW
9th February 2009, 02:28 PM
I would like to see UK customers getting a turn round time for repairs and serving that customers in the US are reporting that they get from Oly US. Typically 3 to 4 days.

Makonde
9th February 2009, 04:48 PM
Why the heck are prices going up in these uncertain economic times? Do companies actually what us to buy their products???? Prices should be coming down!
Pound has slid versus the yen. A year ago was "as low as 205.72, its lowest since May 2006" (Reuter, late Jan 2008)
Now? - 136....

With a fall of the order of 35% it's not surprising that prices here are going up by.... a mere 15-25% !

ianc
9th February 2009, 05:10 PM

The reason is simple the pound has plunged against other currencies. The manufacturers are charging the same amount or less in yen, euros, dollars or whatever it's just that the pound is worth about 25% less than it used to be. It's not just photographic companies I was talking to someone with a clothing import business and he is experiencing price rises of up to 75%.

Ian C.

benvendetta
9th February 2009, 05:12 PM
But with people cutting back on 'luxuries' the photographic market will undoubtedly suffer. But at least it won't just be Olympus............!

ianc
9th February 2009, 05:16 PM
But with people cutting back on 'luxuries' the photographic market will undoubtedly suffer. But at least it won't just be Olympus............!

You are right which might explain why Jessops shares are sitting at 1.9p when just over 2 years ago they were at 1.60.

Ian C.

Ellie
9th February 2009, 09:43 PM
For features I suppose yes, but for size no - I'd prefer something a bit smaller. I don't really need a "splashproof" camera either, because none of my lenses are splashproof.

Pound has slid versus the yen. A year ago was "as low as 205.72, its lowest since May 2006" (Reuter, late Jan 2008)
Now? - 136....

With a fall of the order of 35% it's not surprising that prices here are going up by.... a mere 15-25% !
Some will be doing their best to try to absorb differences in exchange rates, but eventually it won't be helped by the suppliers importing first to Europe and then converting prices from Euros into Sterling.

OlyPaul
10th February 2009, 10:41 AM
What I'd like is a camera with the ergomomics and veiwfinder of my E-1 and the features of the E-520 and a reasonable price.

What I think we are going to get and pretty soon is a 1600 E-4 body that will make the overpriced E-30 seem reasonable.

Why do I think this..well the E-30 body is being priced at 998.99 yet I can get a E-3 body from my local Curry's superstore for 919.99 and with the loyalty deal from Oly the camera will have cost me the equivalent of 500, this deal lasts till the end of Feb.

Bottom line expect to see a E4 shortly after the end of Feb and new E-3 prices plummet like the E-1 did when the E-3 was announced.

I'm tempted to get the E-3 but do not really need or want any of the bribery offers (to get rid of stock) so I'm not sure and may take the risk and wait to see if i can pick up a bargain E-3 body offer after the E-4 is released. Or pehaps I'm just cynical. ;)

blu-by-u
18th February 2009, 05:17 AM
....want any of the bribery offers (to get rid of stock) so I'm not sure and may take the risk and wait to see if i can pick up a bargain E-3 body offer after the E-4 is released......
I will wait..I want to be bribed and I want a bargain E-30..not the current over priced unit.

crimbo
18th February 2009, 07:31 AM
bet it is an E-5.... the 4 will have gone the way of the 2