PDA

View Full Version : After 4 months this camera is not as good as my omd em1

Grimbleweed
25th April 2017, 08:19 PM
having lots of issues.
But biggest is general lack of clarity/focus.
Did loads of test shots and generally very dissappointed with mark two focus against my em1 original - could it be faulty??
I have tried most everything. Settings exactly the same etc. but distinctly more clarity in em1 over em1 mark ii.

generally in using its a lovely camera but if umage quality is not up there and over above the emi whats the point.

timboo
25th April 2017, 08:30 PM
There was a similar thread recently see if any of this helps you.

https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44575&highlight=em1+focus

bassman
27th April 2017, 07:17 AM
having lots of issues.
Did loads of test shots and generally very dissappointed with mark two focus against my em1 original - could it be faulty??
I have tried most everything. Settings exactly the same etc. but distinctly more clarity in em1 over em1 mark ii.

generally in using its a lovely camera but if umage quality is not up there and over above the emi whats the point.

Good advice from Timboo, really interesting thread and lot's of things to get out and try. Would be interested to know if there's any particular type of subject or situation that's causing any difficulties and be great to see some examples.

Regards..... Mark

RobEW
27th April 2017, 07:31 AM
Not as good as Mark I? And it seems that the flurry of cheap used Mark Is (selling to fund Mark II) is waning ...

MJ224
27th April 2017, 08:06 AM
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P4250320_2_Medium_.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/92942)

This shot was taken at 5 metre distance. But not sure whether it was the wind, either blowing the feathers around or blowing me and my large zoom lens around. Or the silent shutter causing problems.

Not the first time I have had these disappointing results re sharpness......

Ricoh
27th April 2017, 09:24 AM
I think camera/lens tests need to be set up in more 'scientific' manner, eg camera on a tripod, remote release (or self timer), static target normal to the centre of the lens etc, etc.

Silent shutter (electronic shutter) apart, is there any concern about shutter shock with the MK II?

Growltiger
27th April 2017, 09:43 AM
There is no reason not to use the anti-shock mode (the diamond) when using the standard shutter. It isn't the default setting, and the option has to be made available using the Cog/D1 menu, row 4.

If the OP is comparing 100% crops then he is looking at the image with a higher magnification because the sensor is 20MP instead of 16MP. This will make an unfair comparison as it magnifies any lack of image quality. You need to compare at the same size.

Without seeing examples taken with the two cameras, togther with the settings it is impossible to say. My results show equal or better images, and there are many excellent sharp photos from the E-M1 II being posted on mu43.com

Ricoh
27th April 2017, 11:15 AM
There is no reason not to use the anti-shock mode (the diamond) when using the standard shutter.

Sounds like a gem :)

Without seeing examples taken with the two cameras, togther with the settings it is impossible to say. My results show equal or better images, and there are many excellent sharp photos from the E-M1 II being posted on mu43.com

A lot has been lost in not having contact sheets to study. There's no way of knowing how many duds were made to make one great super sharp image.

pdk42
27th April 2017, 01:31 PM
having lots of issues.

As always - to get to the bottom of a problem you need to go back to the most basic setup and then do controlled ("scientific") changes and look at the results. I'd try something like this:

- Start with a native u43 lens and do tests with the camera on a tripod in good light and low ISO using 0s anti-shock or electronic shutter and SAF. If that's failing then we're definitely in trouble!

- Change one thing at a time thereafter - shutter, CAF, lens, hand-held, IBIS etc and see where problems begin.

Hope that helps!

Personally, I find the E-M1ii AF much better than the mk i - and the camera overall a big step up.

GyRob
27th April 2017, 08:51 PM
I agree with the above you need a controlled starting point I always test using a cereal box with nice clear print tripod single focus point SAF fast shutter speed then with the same settings try CAF
A bird is about the worst subject to do a test with .
Rob.