PDA

View Full Version : What card for second slot?

Roy Mathers
17th April 2017, 06:50 PM
I've been thinking of adding another card to my EM1 MkII. The first slot is already occupied by a Lexar Professional 32 gB 2000x on which I shoot RAW. I'd like to add another card to shoot jpegs simultaneously - but do I need such a large capacity or speed as the Lexar? If not, what would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

MJ224
17th April 2017, 06:59 PM
The second card slot does not support the same technology as the first.

I have placed a fast X10 card there and have assigned it to video.

So placing another Lexar Professional 32 gB 2000x would be a waste of resources.............

Not an expert, just a user of the mk2

Roy Mathers
17th April 2017, 07:47 PM
Thanks for your response. I realised that the Lexar would be overkill (that's why I asked the question) but I wanted to know what was good for jpegs.

drmarkf
17th April 2017, 08:15 PM
I read somewhere on here that the current implementation of the M1ii firmware is that, whenever you put any card in slot 2, it slows down both slots to the slot 2 data transfer speed.

Is that not right?

Growltiger
17th April 2017, 09:12 PM
You want the fastest card that doesn't do UHS II, since that slot doesn't support it and you would therefore be wasting money.
Example: SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s
(This card is also an example of one that is perfect for use in the E-M1 I.)

For the first slot the SanDisk card is the Extreme Pro 300MB/s, which shows you what a big difference there is.

Some people like to just put in an old cheap card, but this will slow your camera up as the buffer won't clear quickly.

Bengeo
17th April 2017, 09:18 PM
I read somewhere on here that the current implementation of the M1ii firmware is that, whenever you put any card in slot 2, it slows down both slots to the slot 2 data transfer speed.

Is that not right?

Not quite. If you shoot Raw to Slot 1 and JPG to Slot 2 then the writing speed will be governed by the slower slot.

If you have 2 cards but write Raw and JPG to a UHS II card in slot 1 then you'll get the benefit of the speed.

Having a card in Slot 2 can delay the start up process according to some reports, but I haven't found it to be a problem.

Roy Mathers
17th April 2017, 09:19 PM
That's really what I wanted to know! As I mentioned, my first slot already has the Lexar Professional 32 gB 2000x in it, so I assume that the SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s would be great for slot 2. Thanks for your help.

c12402
17th April 2017, 09:33 PM
IF, you are going to use pro modes or long burst of shots, second slot must be empty. Any combination of copy one another, etc... will slow down the entire system to the speed of second slot.

However, if you use video and not too long burst of stills, the combination is video in slot 1 and pictures in slot 2.

For people as myself, only using pictures, the second slot is a good idea with a bad implementation.

Roy Mathers
17th April 2017, 09:38 PM
What about my plan of RAW in slot 1 and jpegs in slot 2?

c12402
17th April 2017, 09:55 PM
Not really working... it slow down the whole transfer. There is a test somewhere (do not remember what blog), measuring all this and reaching the conclusions I summarize.

Google a bit searching for em1 mk2 and cards speeds, it should appear, it was done 5 months ago or so.

pdk42
17th April 2017, 11:32 PM

Is that not right?

I did some testing Mark and proved this is correct only if you write something to slot 2. If you have two cards fitted but with the save strategy set to as write to card 1 until it fills up then switch to card 2, there is no slowing down of writing.

drmarkf
18th April 2017, 09:54 AM
I did some testing Mark and proved this is correct only if you write something to slot 2. If you have two cards fitted but with the save strategy set to as write to card 1 until it fills up then switch to card 2, there is no slowing down of writing.

Great, thanks. I was about to do just that, but you've saved me the trouble and I can now do something more productive this morning!