PDA

View Full Version : Using Panasonic lenses

joglos
16th April 2017, 06:01 PM
Hi My friend who is a Panasonic user is looking to buy the E-M1 MII in the next week or so, i assume all her Many lenses will work well, just wondered if there were any issues with any of them so i can for warn her rather than find out afterwards. thanks

Graham_of_Rainham
16th April 2017, 09:30 PM
OIS will not work in conjunction with Olympus IBS.

It's one or the other...

Growltiger
16th April 2017, 09:41 PM
The lenses will work fine. Some special Olympus featues can't be used with them:
1. Focus Stacking (in camera) - but Focus Bracketing will work.
2. Pro Capture.

Olympus IBIS will work with all the lenses. Or you can tell the camera to use OIS instead for those lenses.

pdk42
16th April 2017, 09:50 PM
The main issues seem to be:

- Sync IS (camera and lens working together to provide the highest stabilisation). Both manufacturers have their own designs but they're mutually incompatible. It's not the big deal it might sound since these features add maybe a stop at the most to the base lens or IBIS on its own. Probably not a good reason to avoid mixing them - unless the absolute utmost stabilisation is really needed.

- Aperture rings - Panasonic put aperture rings on some of their lenses but Olympus cameras don't support it.

- Max focussing speeds. Panasonic lenses work best in terms of AF on Panasonic bodies and vice-versa. Again, not as big a deal as it sounds. They all work well enough unless the absolute fastest AF is vital.

- Purple flare. Some Panasonic lenses cause purple flare on Oly bodies. The worst is the 7-14 f 4.

- Some features on the E-M1ii only work with Oly Pro lenses or selected non-Pro Oly lenses - e.g. Pro Capture, Focus stacking in camera.

Generally speaking, these are all edge cases but if you need those edge cases then it may matter.

drmarkf
16th April 2017, 11:09 PM
The original mki Panasonic 20mm f1.7, and occasionally the Pan-Leica 25mm f1.4, used to rattle their aperture leaves on the E-M1i, especially in low light. This seemed to improve with software updates, but it was irritating for candid shooting in dim light. The Pan-Leica 15mm f1.7 doesn't do it.

Melaka
17th April 2017, 08:39 AM
I don't have an EM1 II but the Panasonic 35-100/2.8 and the 100-400 work fine on the EM1 and the EM5 II.

drmarkf
17th April 2017, 09:15 AM
I can confirm the 12-35 f2.8 works fine as well on the M1i and ii and the M5ii.

Subjectively, SAF on the 12-35 and 35-100 f2.8 works very quickly on all 3 of those bodies (although I've never compared it formally against a Panasonic body). I have used the 35-100 on one M1i and the 40-150 Pro + 1.4 converter on another at the same rugby match, and I couldn't say there was an obvious difference between them in CAF focusing speed or ability to follow running players. However, when I did the same shoot a year later with the 35-100 on an E-M5ii the CAF was rubbish.

joglos
17th April 2017, 06:08 PM
Thanks all for the input , i have passed on the replies. :)