PDA

View Full Version : Pros and cons of silent shutter.

Roy Mathers
10th April 2017, 10:13 PM
The title sums it up - what are the benefits and drawbacks of the silent shutter on the EM1-II? There must be drawbacks, otherwise everyone would use it all the time.

Bikie John
10th April 2017, 10:30 PM
I've not tried it in anger, but reading the manual (and other threads here) one drawback is that it doesn't work with flash, or under electric light driven by alternating current (which is most of it). This is due to the way the data is read off the chip.

There was a recent thread on this very subject, if I can find it I'll post a link.

John

Michael Sewell
10th April 2017, 10:52 PM
Benefits:
Maximum shutter speed of 1/32000th sec (Mechanical shutter = 1/8000th sec)
No mechanical wear
Completely silent
Flash can be used with the silent shutter to a maximum sync of 1/50th sec
No shutter shock.

Disadvantages:
Rolling effect can be seen to some extent. (Although not as pronounced as some other cameras)
The lighting issue (especially with fluorescent) as mentioned by John previously.

Roy Mathers
10th April 2017, 11:01 PM
Thank you both.

pdk42
10th April 2017, 11:02 PM
I use it pretty much all the time. It can cause banding with strongly pulsing interior lighting (LED, fluorescent etc) but generally OK with filament bulbs. Rolling shutter doesn't seem to be a big issue in the real world.

MJ224
11th April 2017, 05:38 AM
Must admit I use it virtually all the time as well. Mainly bird photos :(

Did not realise it had cons............*chr

Graham_of_Rainham
11th April 2017, 06:51 AM
Some wildlife reacts to the slightest noise, so a silent camera (Beep Off as well) can be a very real benefit.

Beagletorque
11th April 2017, 07:09 AM
Flash sync can be much higher with RC and FP mode.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Bengeo
11th April 2017, 08:04 AM
Some wildlife reacts to the slightest noise, so a silent camera (Beep Off as well) can be a very real benefit.

That is a very good benefit, but sometimes the sound of the shutter makes the animal look towards you and I've had to switch to mechanical shutter to achieve that!

MJ224
11th April 2017, 01:02 PM
Makes me smile when in a hide with several Nikon and Canon users, the bird moves and a machine gun effect goes on for several seconds ,,,,,,,,

But my quiet Oly has already shot several photos, and my chum says are you taking any photos? ...............*chr

PeterBirder
11th April 2017, 02:25 PM
I've not tried it in anger, but reading the manual (and other threads here) one drawback is that it doesn't work with flash, or under electric light driven by alternating current (which is most of it). This is due to the way the data is read off the chip.

There was a recent thread on this very subject, if I can find it I'll post a link.

John

Here's the link. http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44713

However, this thread relates specifically to the E-M1 MKII and checking the manual it appears that this model unlike the E-M5 MKII and E-M10 MKII can use flash with silent mode @1/50sec sync speed. Olympus must have been able to increase the read speed of the new sensor/camera to accomplish this.

Regards.*chr

Roy Mathers
11th April 2017, 07:13 PM
Here's the link. http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44713

However, this thread relates specifically to the E-M1 MKII and checking the manual it appears that this model unlike the E-M5 MKII and E-M10 MKII can use flash with silent mode @1/50sec sync speed. Olympus must have been able to increase the read speed of the new sensor/camera to accomplish this.

Regards.*chr

Thanks for that Peter - very interesting!

Roy Mathers
11th April 2017, 07:14 PM
Thank you to everybody who took the trouble to reply.

GyRob
12th April 2017, 10:49 AM
I bought the OMD mkII for the silent shutter for birding /wiled life I'm sick to death of my Canon scaring everything within 400yds as you fire the shutter .

To make a bird say an owl turn I just make a tut tut sound they will often then Look and all the time you can be shooting, the 1DX mkII just drives them away .

The con is I don't want to be out with my friends as they have mechanical ( NOISEY ) camera's so its pointless standing next to them .
Rob.