PDA

View Full Version : struggling with video on Em1 MkII

Maria
7th April 2017, 06:37 PM
I'm really struggling with video on the EM1 MkII - I know very little about video and want to keep things as simple as possible. I'm primarily a stills photographer but very occasionally want to take little clips (usually of my grandsons) as I did with my GH4. I'm happy for these to be full HD, rather than 4K to keep the size down.

Today I took some test shots in the garden, just panning very slowly round. I've got it set to Full HD in "P" mode but whatever I do with the settings, the resulting video looks really jerky. I'm using a Panasonic 12-35 lens and have tried it with the lens IS on or off and M-IS1 or M-IS2 from the menu. Any idea what I could be doing wrong, or suggestions for settings to try.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Maria
7th April 2017, 08:32 PM
It appears the problem isn't what I thought. The video clips are OK - I'd been trying to play them back with various video players on the PC (Windows 10) in the hope of being able to then cast them down to a Panasonic smart TV. "Movies & TV" and "Windows Media Player" played them but rather jerkily, so I jumped to the wrong conclusion. When I eventually tried playing them on OV3 they seem OK (well, as OK as my video capabilities). I found an option in OV3 (which I'm not at all familiar with) to export as MP4 - but this appear to create corrupted MP4s! I also found out we were able to connect the camera directly to the TV via HDMI and they played fine.

It appears that there isn't a problem with the videos - I just need an easier way to play the clips on the TV for visiting guests, once they are stored on the PCs drive, rather than the SD card. Any bright ideas?

Growltiger
7th April 2017, 09:14 PM
Always use VLC as your media player on Windows. It is free and far better than anything else.

(Of course your PC may not be up to the job.)

Ross the fiddler
8th April 2017, 01:31 PM
Always use VLC as your media player on Windows. It is free and far better than anything else.

(Of course your PC may not be up to the job.)

I use it as an option & I also like the audio boost (louder than WMP) ability with it too, but more importantly, it will play .MOV files OK (besides OV3).

OM USer
8th April 2017, 01:42 PM
I use VLC as well.

bassman
8th April 2017, 05:54 PM
Windows 10 on my desktop pc, right clicking on an image or movie file shows an option
'cast to device' .... not had chance to investigate much further but it show 'smart tv' , when I click on it.

Mark.