PDA

View Full Version : EM1 MkII - EVF and screen monitoring?

Roy Mathers
3rd April 2017, 09:12 PM
Hi - I wonder if one of you gurus can help me. I've found out how to determine the time that the image I've just taken is displayed, but there is a curiosity. If I take the picture using the EVF, the resulting image is displayed in the viewfinder and not on the screen. If I take the shot using the monitor (ie live view) the resulting image is displayed on the monitor.

My question is - is it possible to set it up so that I can take a picture using the EVF and have it displayed on the monitor? It seems that practically everything else is possible with this camera, so this certainly must.

Growltiger
3rd April 2017, 09:21 PM
No you can't.

Most people turn the feature off entirely so they can get on with taking the next photo without delay.

Roy Mathers
3rd April 2017, 09:32 PM
Hi - thanks for the very quick reply. I understand, but surely you can take further pictures without waiting for the display to go off? By which I mean that the act of taking a further picture automatically turns the display off.

Growltiger
3rd April 2017, 10:03 PM
Hi - thanks for the very quick reply. I understand, but surely you can take further pictures without waiting for the display to go off? By which I mean that the act of taking a further picture automatically turns the display off.

But if it is still showing the previous photo you can't see what you are taking!

Roy Mathers
3rd April 2017, 10:07 PM
You can - the previous image disappears immediately you half press the shutter release.

pdk42
3rd April 2017, 10:26 PM
This is the image "Rec View" feature. You can change how long it displays (including off) in the "Setup" menu (the one with the spanner/wrench icon - at the bottom).

It'll be displayed on whatever display you used to take the shot. The idea is that it's presented to the photographer as a quick preview of the last image taken to allow it to be quickly checked before going on and taking some more. A tap on any of the buttons or moving a dial will clear it. As such, it's perfectly sensible that it's put on the same display.

Having said that, if you set the display time to "Auto", then the camera will enter auto-play mode, leaving the image on the screen permanently until you press a button. In this mode, if you shoot with the EVF and then take your eye away from the camera (assuming you have eye-detect enabled), then the preview will switch to the rear LCD. It's quite neat actually since if you then put your eye back to the EVF, it resumes normal compose mode.

Personally I find image preview quite useful and have it set for 2 seconds.

PeterBirder
3rd April 2017, 10:36 PM
Having EVF Eye Detect switched on is the key. It will make it work exactly as you require.

The reason many peole with earlier model cameras switch off Rec View is that it increases power use/ shortens battery life. With the bigger battery capacity of the E-M1 MKII this may not be such a problem.

Roy Mathers
3rd April 2017, 10:48 PM
Thank you Paul and Peter - that's exactly what I wanted to know! Thanks for your help.