PDA

View Full Version : EXIF query

percy
3rd April 2017, 07:22 AM
Hi All,

I gave my E-M1 ii its first serious workout at Donnington Superbikes over the weekend experimenting with different AF and burst modes (resulting in some 1350 images over the 3 days - some serious culling required . . . . ). I must say I'm quite impressed with the camera's capabilities, with a high percentage of in focus shots.

But to the point - looking through the EXIF data (using Mac OS X Preview) I cannot see anything to say whether electronic or mechanical shutter was being used. (I haven't imported to LR yet until I've done some more culling). Can anybody tell me where I can find this please?

MJ224
3rd April 2017, 09:06 AM
Yes all info gratefully read and understood I hope.

As I understand it, when the camera is on continuous shooting, either High or low, the shutter works electronically whatever that means.

Have not really thought how the shutters work on these electronic cameras. I know on film cameras there was either a physical shutter in the lens, or a focal plane shutter in the camera. So at that stage I don't know how the modern camera does it.............

Has not photography moved on??????(rhetorical*chr)

Ricoh
3rd April 2017, 10:34 AM
Hi All,

I gave my E-M1 ii its first serious workout at Donnington Superbikes over the weekend experimenting with different AF and burst modes (resulting in some 1350 images over the 3 days - some serious culling required . . . . ). I must say I'm quite impressed with the camera's capabilities, with a high percentage of in focus shots.

But to the point - looking through the EXIF data (using Mac OS X Preview) I cannot see anything to say whether electronic or mechanical shutter was being used. (I haven't imported to LR yet until I've done some more culling). Can anybody tell me where I can find this please?
Download ExifTool and ExifToolGUI, you may well be surprised what is stored - and you can manipulate if you choose.

percy
3rd April 2017, 12:20 PM
Download ExifTool and ExifToolGUI, you may well be surprised what is stored - and you can manipulate if you choose.

I've used ExifToolGUI previously, and as you say there is a large amount of information available. But it doesn't seem to work on recent versions of OS X any more. I'll have to take another look at it and see if there's been an update, or run it from a Windows machine. I was hoping I could find an alternative in the meantime.

I'm pretty sure that the skew effect I've got on some background fencing in a number of shots is due to the rolling shutter effect, but not having used electronic shutter before for action shots I just wanted to double check which of my images were taken with electronic shutter.

Ricoh
3rd April 2017, 12:34 PM
The GUI interface is optimised for W7 as I understand, I have it running on an old XP laptop - there's life in the old dog.
The skew effect does sound like the effect of an electronic shutter. Id force it to use the mechanical shutter.

percy
3rd April 2017, 02:30 PM
The GUI interface is optimised for W7 as I understand, I have it running on an old XP laptop - there's life in the old dog.
The skew effect does sound like the effect of an electronic shutter. Id force it to use the mechanical shutter.
I have a Windows virtual machine on my Mac so I'll have to try that for now. It's just a bit of a nuisance switching between different systems so a Mac only option would be preferable :)

pdk42
3rd April 2017, 10:08 PM
I did a bit of exploration using EXIFTOOL. There's no obvious tag that shows shutter mode, but there are a bunch of Olympus extended tags called "Olympus Image Processing". The tag at offset 0x1501 looks like it might a candidate for it though. I shot a number of images using both electronic and mechanical shutter and the values seem to be:

Mechanical Shutter: Olympus Image Processing 0x1501 : 10 15 14
Electronic Shutter: Olympus Image Processing 0x1501 : 10 15 15

I could be wrong. I'll do some more testing. You can try it yourself with the following EXIFTOOL command:

exiftool -s -u -Olympus_ImageProcessing_0x1501 <yourfile>.ORF

Would be good if some of you could try it and post some examples to see if my guess is correct. You can download exiftool from here if you don't have it:

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Ricoh
3rd April 2017, 11:49 PM
Is there an A to Z for ExifTool commands? I've cobbled a few together but the ones I have are based on what I've read in various threads, here and there. I'd like to learn and use the commands more effectively.
Ta.

pdk42
4th April 2017, 07:11 AM
It's a complex tool Steve. Let Google be your friend! There are lots of resources online from simple FAQ style stuff to formal command line documentation.

Ricoh
4th April 2017, 09:54 AM
Thanks Paul, I'll do that. The GUI is handy, but very limited I find. For instance, I wanted to amend the value for aperture stored in EXIF (it's invariably incorrect with a RF Leica) and the simplest method I found was to strip EXIF completely and then reinstate the correct values for ISO, SS and Aperture.

pdk42
4th April 2017, 10:50 AM
Thanks Paul, I'll do that. The GUI is handy, but very limited I find. For instance, I wanted to amend the value for aperture stored in EXIF (it's invariably incorrect with a RF Leica) and the simplest method I found was to strip EXIF completely and then reinstate the correct values for ISO, SS and Aperture.

You can do that through the command line for sure. I'm out and about now but I'll send you the details later.

percy
4th April 2017, 12:37 PM
I did a bit of exploration using EXIFTOOL. There's no obvious tag that shows shutter mode, but there are a bunch of Olympus extended tags called "Olympus Image Processing". The tag at offset 0x1501 looks like it might a candidate for it though. I shot a number of images using both electronic and mechanical shutter and the values seem to be:

I could be wrong. I'll do some more testing. You can try it yourself with the following EXIFTOOL command:

Would be good if some of you could try it and post some examples to see if my guess is correct. You can download exiftool from here if you don't have it:

I'll try and upload some later - may not be until tomorrow evening!

percy
5th April 2017, 06:59 PM
I'll try and upload some later - may not be until tomorrow evening!
Here are some from Donnington

percy
5th April 2017, 07:00 PM
and a few more

percy
6th April 2017, 12:31 PM

Pleased to say I've now got pyexiftoolgui working again on OS X having discovered a fix for it.
But I'm afraid I can't yet find anything to identify whether electronic or mechanical shutter has been selected.

Ross the fiddler
6th April 2017, 01:31 PM
I checked (for the E-M1 with electronic shutter) in OV3 for properties & in Drive Mode it is just Sequential shooting (#frame), with no mention of which shutter was used. :rolleyes: