PDA

View Full Version : Menus question

Walti
30th March 2017, 08:31 AM
Has anyone sat down and worked out what happens when you switch to C1, C2 and C3, then back to A,P,M?

It looks like just about everything can be set differently in each C mode, including playback etc, which means that as I've been playing I've got C modes with different settings for some items I'd like the same!

I think I've got to work out which settings I want to be consistent and re-set the camera then go through the consistent settings then the custom settings in turn.

I've also managed to accidentally set one of the C modes so that it does away with the top and bottom menus when you switch to lever 2 dial use, so the ISO and WB menus no longer show up - I can't find where to set them back to show... any clues anyone?

Wrotniak's cheat sheet highlights which settings are changed in the Custom menus, so that's a good start!

pdk42
30th March 2017, 08:49 AM
Setting the C modes takes some care for sure. I reckon almost everyone goes through a phase of realising their initial mistakes, doing a full reset and starting again - it's just part of the learning curve.

A little project I've got on my list is to try to figure out the data structure of the save file from OV3/Camera Updater and put something on top of it to give a decent UI. That way you could setup things with a nice big PC screen and (hopefully) a clearer UI. Would be nice if Olympus documented it - but I can't see that happening.

TonyR
30th March 2017, 10:26 AM
SOme of the settings that get saved into the Custom modes are just silly. I, for example, have my own file numbering scheme. I use the first digit after the "P" to indicate which camera it is and then increment the 5th digit manually after each 10,000 shots. That way, I shouldn't get any duplicate numbers.

However, the file naming is set separately in each custom set and for non-custom sets. So, I have to change it in four places!

Growltiger
30th March 2017, 10:45 AM
SOme of the settings that get saved into the Custom modes are just silly. I, for example, have my own file numbering scheme. I use the first digit after the "P" to indicate which camera it is and then increment the 5th digit manually after each 10,000 shots. That way, I shouldn't get any duplicate numbers.

However, the file naming is set separately in each custom set and for non-custom sets. So, I have to change it in four places!
Some people do deliberately want to change the file naming with the different C settings, for various reasons.

There is no need to change it in four places if you work like this:
1. Set up your camera for all its normal default settings (including in your case the file naming).
2. Assign (store) those settings in C1 and in C2 and in C3.
3. Recall C2. Make changes for C2. Assign as C2.
4. Recall C3. Make changes for C3. Assign as C3.
etc.

TonyR
30th March 2017, 10:49 AM
Some people do deliberately want to change the file naming with the different C settings, for various reasons.

There is no need to change it in four places if you work like this:
1. Set up your camera for all its normal default settings (including in your case the file naming).
2. Assign (store) those settings in C1 and in C2 and in C3.
3. Recall C2. Make changes for C2. Assign as C2.
4. Recall C3. Make changes for C3. Assign as C3.
etc.

... and when I want to change it again?

pdk42
30th March 2017, 10:53 AM
So, I have to change it in four places!

Or change it once before adding the things that differ for each C mode. Therein lies the problem of course with the current way to setup C modes. If you want to change something in multiple configs after you've set them, you need to do it 'n' times.

Walti
30th March 2017, 11:25 AM
A little project I've got on my list is to try to figure out the data structure of the save file from OV3/Camera Updater and put something on top of it to give a decent UI. That way you could setup things with a nice big PC screen and (hopefully) a clearer UI. Would be nice if Olympus documented it - but I can't see that happening.

Just done a settings save and opened the file, I was hoping it would all be in clear text, but its machine code so meaningless to me! :confused:

DerekW
30th March 2017, 12:26 PM
Would a library of settings files be useful.
or
are the settings going to be changed frequently according to what type of pictures are being taken.

wornish
30th March 2017, 03:46 PM

I agree it would be really nice to be able to create the settings file "offline" i.e. on your PC then upload it to your camera. As the Oly software is free I really don't understand why they don't open source it and allow others to add functionality. They could do it without giving away their firmware Crown Jewels.

pdk42
30th March 2017, 06:18 PM
Just done a settings save and opened the file, I was hoping it would all be in clear text, but its machine code so meaningless to me! :confused:

Where does it squirrel away the file? Not got cable and camera to hand now so can't test it.

andym
30th March 2017, 06:24 PM
When I first had my Mk2 Graham of Rainham asked me for a copy of my settings file so he could have a play(beyond me).

I wonder if he got anywhere with it.

pdk42
30th March 2017, 06:45 PM
Where does it squirrel away the file? Not got cable and camera to hand now so can't test it.

Found mine - the damn thing is in binary! I'm amazed that anyone would do that in 2017. XML, JSON, properties file, ... anything! And the damn thing is 313Kb - that's enough to fill half an old 720Kb floppy disk. I know the menus are complicated, but is there really a third of a million bytes of data needed to encode it?!

wornish
30th March 2017, 09:11 PM
Found mine - the damn thing is in binary! I'm amazed that anyone would do that in 2017. XML, JSON, properties file, ... anything! And the damn thing is 313Kb - that's enough to fill half an old 720Kb floppy disk. I know the menus are complicated, but is there really a third of a million bytes of data needed to encode it?!

In a short sentence . NO
Its probably a database file format of some type, maybe sql or sql-lite or some variant. That tends to be the norm these days.

c12402
30th March 2017, 10:55 PM
There is an interesting post somewhere (I could not found again) explaining global and local settings in this camera. Global are those that once changed, the setting is valid for all modes. Local are those that requires a particular value in each mode.

I remember that most of parameters were local and a few ones global, and were not totally evident. My conclusion: we have to review all parameters in every mode to avoid surprises when changing from one to another, including PASM modes.