PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Camera Codec For ORF Files

MikeH
28th March 2017, 05:16 PM
Does anyone know if there is an updated Codec from Microsoft for E-M1 MK2 Raw files? I can view the Mk1 thumbnails in Windows explorer but not the Mk2.

Growltiger
28th March 2017, 05:26 PM
Pay $10 and solve the problem forever. I paid once many years ago and now always have a good codec for any camera. They did the one for the E-M1 II ages ago. I simply had to download the latest version.
http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/

pdk42
28th March 2017, 05:34 PM
Since all Oly raw files have a JPG embedded within them, the old Olympus codec from 2009 will still work (i.e. display the embedded JPG) with any camera.

http://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/codec/

MikeH
29th March 2017, 09:43 AM
I installed the Codec but it hasn't made any difference, still can't see the thumbnails in Windows Explorer.

AMc
29th March 2017, 10:32 AM
The Microsoft codec pack was integrated in Windows 10 but wasn't updated.
I can see my E-PL5 images in explorer but not my E-M10 MkI ORF files.
Installing the Olympus Codec made no difference :(
It never bothered me enough to pay to fix it though.

Graham_of_Rainham
29th March 2017, 03:31 PM
FastStone is Free. It shows the embedded jpg but will open the RAW file as well when requested.

*chr

Growltiger
29th March 2017, 05:44 PM
FastStone is Free. It shows the embedded jpg but will open the RAW file as well when requested.

*chr
Yes, FastStone Viewer is excellent.
But it won't give him what he asked for, which is seeing the thumbnails in Windows File Explorer.

Graham_of_Rainham
29th March 2017, 08:15 PM
Yes, FastStone Viewer is excellent.
But it won't give him what he asked for, which is seeing the thumbnails in Windows File Explorer.

True, but if associated with ORF files, it will open them at one click and once in FastStone, it looks and works a lot like Windows Explorer. So if you are going to look at images, it's a better option than opening WE.

*chr

MJ224
30th March 2017, 06:53 AM
Since all Oly raw files have a JPG embedded within them, the old Olympus codec from 2009 will still work (i.e. display the embedded JPG) with any camera.

http://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/codec/

I have downloaded and run the 64 bit version of the Olympus Codec software, to no effect.

My personal preference is to use Windows Picture viewer, as it prints well, but .ORF's are not shown as pictures, just icons.

That was OK when I recorded RAW and jpegs, but now for some reason I just record RAW's.

Only way to see the pictures is to load up OV3 at the mo............:mad:

Growltiger
30th March 2017, 07:36 AM
I have downloaded and run the 64 bit version of the Olympus Codec software, to no effect.

My personal preference is to use Windows Picture viewer, as it prints well, but .ORF's are not shown as pictures, just icons.

That was OK when I recorded RAW and jpegs, but now for some reason I just record RAW's.

Only way to see the pictures is to load up OV3 at the mo............:mad:
I gave a good solution in message #2 above.

MJ224
30th March 2017, 09:31 AM
I gave a good solution in message #2 above.

Yes that seems to work well, thanks for the tip. Also free for 15 days...

*chr