PDA

View Full Version : Am I blind? can't find any decent info about AF in the manual

Nawty
27th March 2017, 07:15 PM
I've been looking for two days to find any detailed information on CAF in the manual and can't for the life of me find it.

From searching on the net I understand that CAF only works between frames in Sequential Low up to 18FPS (electronic shutter), setting Seq-High fixes the focus and exposure at the first frame.

Also, there seems to be zero explanation about C-AF Lock.

Or, am I being blind?

I know this info can be found but is it too much to ask for a decent manual for such a customisable (and expensive) camera?!

wornish
27th March 2017, 08:41 PM
References to C-AF are spread all over the user manual. If you do a search in your pdf viewer for C-AF it should show you the relevant pages. I agree its not all together in a single easy to find place.

TonyR
28th March 2017, 09:37 AM
You are not blind. There is very little information about C-AF in the manual.

pdk42
28th March 2017, 01:00 PM
The lack of explanation on AF setup by Olympus is quite shocking IMHO. Compare with how the Fuji in camera help works - diagrams, use cases etc.

Gwyver
28th March 2017, 04:59 PM
Scroll through this page from the Olympus Australia web-site - it provides more use cases than the user manual.
https://www.olympus.com.au/Products/Interchangeable-Lens-Cameras/Olympus-OM-D/E-M1-Mark-II/Features/High-speed-Performance

Hope this helps.

Nawty
28th March 2017, 06:49 PM
Glad it's not me :)

Scroll through this page from the Olympus Australia web-site - it provides more use cases than the user manual.
https://www.olympus.com.au/Products/Interchangeable-Lens-Cameras/Olympus-OM-D/E-M1-Mark-II/Features/High-speed-Performance

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I'd found that through another source and it is miiiiles more useful than the manual.

DerekW
31st March 2017, 08:58 AM
The Australian pages are informative but not instructive. I screen captured and printed the information into a leaflet for "later reference" but when I started really reading the information I discovered it did not actually instruct, it only told you what was possible.

Bloody marketing....

pdk42
31st March 2017, 10:01 AM
The Australian pages are informative but not instructive. I screen captured and printed the information into a leaflet for "later reference" but when I started really reading the information I discovered it did not actually instruct, it only told you what was possible.

Bloody marketing....
Yes, the Oz site is pretty good. These tables in particular are useful:

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/MkII_AF.JPG

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/MkII_AF_2.JPG

TonyR
31st March 2017, 10:16 AM
To be honest, in practical use, I don't find that the C-AF Lock settings actaully do anything like what it says in the table. I have tried them all and find I keep returning to +1 as it seems to give me the best results. The only other conclusion I am close to making is that +2 seems to "wobble" around the correct focus point, giving less accuracy that +1.

I think this setting is really stupid, particularly for wildlife. Am I really going to say. "Look, there's a sqirrel. Let's just go and change that C-AF Lock setting. Menu Gears->A1->C-AF Lock set to um(?) -1. Now, where's that squirrel?". Without explaination of how the C-AF works and what this setting does, I don't think I will ever change it.

I recently read an interview where one of the Olympus techs talked about how there where some large number of C-AF "cases" (was it 18?) and that the camera had to work out which "case" it was dealing with. For example, bird in flight. Then it would adopt a strategy for that. I don't ever want my camera to do that.

Just tell us how the C-AF algorithm works (how does it change focus points? Does it extrapolate focus distance linearly or in some other way? etc), what actual parameters the camera settings adjust and by how much, and I will work out how to use it for my purposes. As it is, we're completely in the dark :(.

Fortunately, C-AF Lock +1 seems to work quite well, most of the time.

DerekW
31st March 2017, 03:38 PM
I apologise to Aussie marketing - the web pages helped me a lot - also thanks to Paul to point out the key section.