PDA

View Full Version : They bounce too ...

Clockwork Donkey
25th March 2017, 09:59 PM
Just returned from a brief trip to the Lakes. First day out I was clambering up the slippery rocks at the side of Ashness Bridge and the inevitable happened. I slipped, twisted my knee and dropped my MkII complete with 12-40 Pro lens, Lee filter holder with two grads mounted onto bare rocks from a height of around four feet. Slow motion kicked in and I saw the camera bounce and crash down again. "******* ****"(insert whatever expletives you consider appropriate) exclaimed I.

The toll:
A lens which feels a tad rough at the extreme range of zoom;
A Lee grad chipped on the extreme clear edge;
A couple of scratches on the filter holder;
Three tiny, almost invisible marks on the camera body;
A grazed and twisted left knee;
Hurt pride, and;
A no doubt considerable bill from Olympus.

The amazing thing is that the camera and lens still work absolutely fine. I have just downloaded my shots to LR and all are as sharp as expected from a pristine lens.

Lessons learned:
I am no longer a spritely youth;
Put the camera back in the bag when traversing hazardous terrain;
Lee resin filters do chip;
Tiny marks to the finish on a black camera body are easily disguised using a black marker pen;
Smile serenely when signing a cheque for the repair bill;
Olympus cameras and lenses are seriously tough bits of kit.

Recommendation:
Don't try this at home!!

pdk42
25th March 2017, 11:05 PM
Oh dear - that is a depressing story. I'm amazed how philosophical you are about it.

MikeH
26th March 2017, 07:31 AM
I sympathise with you. Did something similar in the Llanberis Pass with the E-M1 Mk1, only I didn't drop the camera until it came up and smacked me right in the eye.

First thought, along with a load of expletives, was the camera OK? Hardly a scratch and everything seemed to be working fine. Then I realised I wasn't. Right eye totally closed, cut pouring blood from above my eye and a rapidly rising bump there as well, along with another lump the size of an egg on my shin.

I broke my golden rule about not putting myself in harms way to get a photograph, stepping onto rocks near a river just as the sun is setting in an isolated spot and on my own. Stupid! I got away with it and the only real damage was a few cuts and bruises.

Zuiko
26th March 2017, 07:41 AM
Oh dear, I really feel for you. Let's hope the damage isn't too bad or expensive to repair. Sounds like the camera is okay, but you might want to get Olympus to check it when they repair the lens.

drmarkf
26th March 2017, 10:54 AM
Ouch!
I'm sure it would be worth getting the body checked out as well.

[Touching wood...] The only time I've actually dropped a camera was in the late 1970s when I threw my OM-1 down Pen-y-Ghent. It bounced a few times, but there was just a tiny crack in the viewfinder. Oly UK fixed it quite cheaply, as I recall.

I've come close with E-M1s - ones that come to mind are 1) catching the falling tripod at the last moment as an untightened leg collapsed in Fen Drayton Lakes (yes, 'in') with the 7-14 f2.8 aboard, and 2) having it land on the only tussock of grass for 20 sq metres of granite when the body and 12-35 got pushed and twisted out of a Cotton Carrier clip mount when I was bending forward, so the safety strap didn't prevent it reaching the ground...

Clockwork Donkey
1st April 2017, 04:41 AM
Further to my above tale of woe:
On Monday 27 March I despatched my damaged lens to the Olympus service centre near Notingham. Great facility on the repair tool web site which allows tracking of the job. Lo and behold, my repaired lens was returned to me yesterday (31 march) fully serviced and ready to go. Amazing service from Olympus. But that's not all ... the lens was returned from Portugal! Yes really!

I expect an announcement soon of the first publicly available Star Trek style transporter, made by Olympus of course.

Oh, and the bill for this superb service? .....................zilch, nothing, nil!

Canon eat your heart out.

Phill D
1st April 2017, 06:17 AM
Excellent end to a sad story. Well done Olympus. Think I'll definitely take out my extended warranty.

Grumpy Hec
1st April 2017, 06:41 AM
Further to my above tale of woe:
On Monday 27 March I despatched my damaged lens to the Olympus service centre near Notingham. Great facility on the repair tool web site which allows tracking of the job. Lo and behold, my repaired lens was returned to me yesterday (31 march) fully serviced and ready to go. Amazing service from Olympus. But that's not all ... the lens was returned from Portugal! Yes really!

I expect an announcement soon of the first publicly available Star Trek style transporter, made by Olympus of course.

Oh, and the bill for this superb service? .....................zilch, nothing, nil!

Canon eat your heart out.

Top notch service.

My wife got sand in her Oly Stylus and we sent it off. They fixed it equally fast with no charge.

It was totally down to my wife and we were expecting a bill but none came. She now owns an OMD OM10 MkII partly because of that, so great service does pay for both parties.

Hec

pdk42
1st April 2017, 07:38 AM
Yes - Olympus service is superb. I always found them great. All European servicing is done via Portugal.

MJ224
1st April 2017, 08:28 AM
I can agree with Olympus servicing being good.

Had a 75-300,]mm lens cleaned and serviced, and an EPL5 shutter mechanism replaced.

Had to pay for the work, but very pleased with their work and times. Both done and returned within 10 days............

DerekW
1st April 2017, 08:44 AM
There could be problems ahead with import duty having to be paid in Portugal and back again in the UK when the repaired item returns + a VAT charge on the value increase from being a broken object to a working object.

Somehow I think the issues re VW, BMW and JLR will be ahead in resolving the Oly service process.