PDA

View Full Version : Auto-Focus activating when walking about using S-AF

MikeH
25th March 2017, 04:09 PM
First time I've really managed to get out and about since buying the camera last week. Weather conditions, nice sunny day with some very light wispy cloud.

Two lenses in use. The 12-40 mm Pro and the 75-300 f4-8-6.7 II. Firmware for the MK2 is 1.1 the 12-40 is 1.3 an the 75-300 is 1.0. Face Detection is off and the touch screen is not activated with the rear screen folded away.

As I was walking around today with either lens on the camera I kept hearing the focus confirmation bleep. Which is rather strange as I'm set on S-AF.

When I got home with the 12-40 on the camera I thought I would have another look at this bleeping. Taking the camera out of the bag as soon as I switched it on the Focus Assist Lamp came on and I heard that bleep again.

As another test I went outside, focused on a distant object and then moved the camera to look at something close. Immediately I heard the bleep, but when I looked through the EVF, everything was totally over exposed, so I switched off and then switched on again.

I've just done another walk around test in the house with the rear display open so I can see what is happening. I'm still on S-AF but as I walk around a the house the camera is focusing on objects and giving me that confirmation bleep. I can see the single green square appearing in the display as the camera focuses.

Have I got a setting somewhere that needs changing? Any help would be appreciated.

Growltiger
25th March 2017, 06:18 PM
Do you have the optional grip on the camera?

MikeH
25th March 2017, 06:52 PM
Yes it is fitted.

Growltiger
25th March 2017, 09:55 PM
Yes it is fitted.
Good guess wasn't it!
That is the answer then.
You are bumping the release on the grip without realising it.

Ross the fiddler
25th March 2017, 11:12 PM
Good guess wasn't it!
That is the answer then.

Yep. :D I've had that same issue myself on other models & realised I didn't have the battery grip on Lock. :rolleyes:

MikeH
26th March 2017, 07:12 AM
Good guess wasn't it!
That is the answer then.

Silly Me. I thought I had it on Lock. Thanks for that.

bigsambwfc
6th July 2017, 02:46 PM
the hld9 shutter is easily accidently triggered in horiz position,i cut the top of an ibrufen gel tube and pushed it down the void in the vert shutter button,so I can still use fn buttons etc in horiz position with grip lock off all the time,it is easy removed or worked round if your vert shooting, all I have lost is one dial function.olympus should have put an isolation feature in the menu for the grip shutter button or put the shutter were the other dial is,swopped them over would have been better.

omd em1 mk2 100-400 pan-leica bif mainly