PDA

View Full Version : Memory Card OM-D E-M1 Mark II suggestions

rawclicks
21st March 2017, 06:34 AM
Hi All

Please can you suggest which memory card is good for OM-D E-M1 Mark II as I have old SD Cards for OM-D E-M1 I can use them but....

I will be going to Rockingham for experience day from Olympus so need UHS II card not able to decide between Lexar or SanDisk.

Cheers
Rahul

MikeH
21st March 2017, 08:44 AM
I was recommended to buy SanDisk rather than Lexar by someone from Olympus. On the Mk1 I always used SanDisk so it was a no brainer for me to upgrade to SanDisk again.

However, others might tell you something different

TonyR
21st March 2017, 09:00 AM
I have a Lexar 32GB 300MB/s card and a Sandisk 32GB 280MB/s card and the Lexar card is noticable faster to use. If you are shooting bursts, choose the Lexar. If not, either will be fine. (I'm assuming earlier issues with larger capacity Lexar cards have been ironed out).

Grumpy Hec
21st March 2017, 09:35 AM
I'm using Lexar UHSII 64GB. Had been having the occasional odd behaviour in camera which I thought was the previously reported firmware issue on some Lexar cards. However since the MKII firmware upgrade which addressed "RAW file stability" I have had no problems.

The point to remember about UHSII is to ensure that you can max out on the read speed as well as the headline burst shooting capability. You need USB3 and a UHSII card reader to use the extra row of card contacts which is what gives the greatly increased speed. Without that read speeds are the same as UHS 1. I get hugely increased read speeds onto my PC which is worthwhile if you have been on a busy shoot and have hundreds of images or away somewhere exotic and have thousands to copy.

Hec

Growltiger
21st March 2017, 02:57 PM
Having heard about the Lexar problems and since Olympus's official tested and supported cards are SanDisk, I stick to SanDisk. I use the 64GB UHS II ones that are marked 300MB/s.

DerekW
21st March 2017, 06:48 PM
Hec

Can you recommend a card reader for the UHS11 cards. Fortunately I have USB3 sockets on the main machine.

Thank you

cliff
21st March 2017, 07:59 PM
Can you just use the camera as the reader or is a stand alone card reader better?

c12402
21st March 2017, 11:53 PM
After reading the Speedtest of SD cards in em1.2 some weeks ago, it was apparent to me that Lexar was the only one with real speeds close to advertised ones. Differences were quite significant.

I took the risk to buy two Lexars: no problem after 2-3.000 shots. It seems that first units were faulty or maybe, as mentioned before, it was something fixed with FW 1.1.

Growltiger
22nd March 2017, 08:22 AM
After reading the Speedtest of SD cards in em1.2 some weeks ago, it was apparent to me that Lexar was the only one with real speeds close to advertised ones. Differences were quite significant.

I took the risk to buy two Lexars: no problem after 2-3.000 shots. It seems that first units were faulty or maybe, as mentioned before, it was something fixed with FW 1.1.
No, the Lexar problem was specific to only some of their cards and required them to fix the firmware in the cards themselves when they are made. They offered to exchange the faulty cards. Nothing whatever to do with the firmware in the camera.

blu-by-u
22nd March 2017, 08:33 AM
Looking at this thread, I have still not gotten an extra SD chip.

Grumpy Hec
22nd March 2017, 09:56 AM
Hec

Can you recommend a card reader for the UHS11 cards. Fortunately I have USB3 sockets on the main machine.

Thank you

I bought a Hama device for which the link from Amazon is below. I'm sure you may be able to get it elsewhere but I'm lazy so did the scary Amazon one click thing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N9QD7FC

One additional thing on this is to plug this into the PC rather than a USB hub. That way you are coming straight off the motherboard header and you can be sure of getting maximum bandwidth. I did try mine in a hub and it wouldn't work at all which was unexpected but a non-issue as I have a USB3 socket on the front panel of my PC.

Hope this helps.

Regarding the LEXAR vs Sandisk debate. I did had troubles occasionally before the MK II firmware update but not since so perhaps there was both a Lexar firmware problem plus whatever the problem was that Oly spotted and fixed. On my experience I suspect I had just the latter.

The reason I bought the Lexar was because it was on an excellent offer from MyMemory at the time. I have not seen anything remotely as good since.

cheers

Hec

pdk42
22nd March 2017, 04:53 PM
I haven't yet bought any specific cards for the E-M1ii, but I have some half-decent Sandisk 80Mbps "Ultra" cards. I've found something quite odd though. These cards perform very badly - taking 2-3 seconds per raw file to write. An older Sandisk "Extreme" card, rated only at 45Mbps manages twice that speed at about a 1 second per file.

I was trying to avoid buying UHS-II cards since I don't really need mega-burst shooting capability, but at 2-3 secs per image, it seriously delays reviewing the image.

Odd...

Ross the fiddler
22nd March 2017, 09:17 PM
I haven't yet bought any specific cards for the E-M1ii, but I have some half-decent Sandisk 80Mbps "Ultra" cards. I've found something quite odd though. These cards perform very badly - taking 2-3 seconds per raw file to write. An older Sandisk "Extreme" card, rated only at 45Mbps manages twice that speed at about a 1 second per file.

I was trying to avoid buying UHS-II cards since I don't really need mega-burst shooting capability, but at 2-3 secs per image, it seriously delays reviewing the image.

Odd...

Those Ultras at 80Mbps would be the read speed, but what would the write speed be? The Extreme cards would give a higher priority to write speed though or at least I believe the write speed is not so far behind the read speed. I've only been using Extremes for several years (CF before the E-M5).

c12402
22nd March 2017, 09:48 PM
IMHO, it's not consistent to spend 2k£ in a camera and not spending 50-60£ in a decent card, leveraging new specs and enabling high-res and Pro Modes....

Write speeds are a territory of Lexar so please, get one at lest of 32GB 2000X and enjoy the new toy! BTW, do not use the second slot if you want speed, the total time writing is limited by that slot using two cards. A silly decision from Olympus...

Phill D
22nd March 2017, 10:14 PM
A quick comment from me who forgot to get a fast SD card when I got the camera. When I got home I realised I'd only got a Medion mini SD card in an adaptor I'd got from Aldi. It was cheap a few months ago and I was going to use it in my phone. It's class 10 but no idea how fast it is, anyway I tried it out and it seemed to work fine so forgot yesterday and thought I'd try out pro capture! It was also set on silent too so I must have set off umpteen shots in the seconds before I realised. Anyway that was it the camera took ages to write to the card, minutes that seemed like hours rather than seconds! Patience was rewarded in the end and I was able to shoot again. So I'm definitely going to get me a couple of those Lexar cards before I try it again :o

pdk42
22nd March 2017, 10:50 PM
Those Ultras at 80Mbps would be the read speed, but what would the write speed be? The Extreme cards would give a higher priority to write speed though or at least I believe the write speed is not so far behind the read speed. I've only been using Extremes for several years (CF before the E-M5).

Thanks Ross - that'll explain it.

Paul

drmarkf
22nd March 2017, 11:03 PM
Write speeds are a territory of Lexar so please, get one at lest of 32GB 2000X and enjoy the new toy! BTW, do not use the second slot if you want speed, the total time writing is limited by that slot using two cards. A silly decision from Olympus...

Can I please just check if that is also true if you have cards in both slots, but have the camera set only to use the second slot after filling the card in the first?

TonyR
22nd March 2017, 11:11 PM
Can I please just check if that is also true if you have cards in both slots, but have the camera set only to use the second slot after filling the card in the first?

I started off using the second card slot as a convenient place to store a second card, even though I didn't want to write to both or have the camera switch over to the second card when the first was filled. However, I soon discovered that having a card in the second slot slowed down the start-up time and wake up from sleep. I now only have a Lexar 2000x card in the first slot.

BTW, the Lexar 2000x cards come with a very fast card reader.

MJ224
23rd March 2017, 12:52 AM
i bought the Lexmark card at the show, works very well with bursts of shots. I have since ordered the same card from EBay costing about £30 as a backup.
Hopefully the second will be as good as the first...*chr

c12402
23rd March 2017, 07:58 AM
As already posted by Tony, the best place for the second card, unfortunately, is the camera bag. I hope some FW improvements in this area, but the different speeds of both slots will impose clear limitations in the usage of the second slot

blu-by-u
23rd March 2017, 08:22 AM
i bought the Lexmark card ...... have since ordered the same card from EBay costing about £30 as a backup....

Can you share the seller ID? I have been seeing these Lexmark chips from Ebay but hesitant to purchase due to counterfeit products

MJ224
23rd March 2017, 08:55 AM
mymemory-uk (http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/mymemory-uk?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754)

£23.99.

Yes hope its the genuine thing, always a risk, and always an optimist.......*chr

TonyR
23rd March 2017, 09:02 AM
Can you share the seller ID? I have been seeing these Lexmark chips from Ebay but hesitant to purchase due to counterfeit products

Don't buy the Lexar 1000x card (the one at £23.99), buy the 2000x card. It makes a huge difference and the 2000x comes with the card reader.

I got mine from Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lexar-Professional-Class-UHS-II-Memory/dp/B00OD71AYQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490259640.

pdk42
23rd March 2017, 09:06 AM

My limited testing so far does not indicate that there is a hard dependency across the cards. As I mentioned earlier, I'm finding that the write speed on some Sandisk Ultra cards is terrible compared to their Extreme version. If I put Ultra cards in both slots with the camera configured to write to slot 1 then it's slow. If I replace the Ultra in slot 1 with an Extreme but leave the Ultra in slot 2 then it speeds up significantly.

My assumption is that if the camera is configured to write to both cards simultaneously then obviously you'll be constrained by the slowest card; and that there will be certain other operations that read both cards too (for example at startup time) where you'll also be constrained by the slowest card.

I'm going to order some UHS-II cards - as others have said spending a wad of cash on a class-leading piece of portable electronics and then cobbling its performance with cheap cards doesn't make a lot of sense.

MJ224
23rd March 2017, 09:27 AM
Don't buy the Lexar 1000x card (the one at £23.99), buy the 2000x card. It makes a huge difference and the 2000x comes with the card reader.

I got mine from Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lexar-Professional-Class-UHS-II-Memory/dp/B00OD71AYQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490259640.

I bought the Lexar card from the show at the same time as the camera from Camera World. The Lexar is the 1000x. My shots yesterday included bursts of 7 or 8 shots, and the card worked just fine....

I don't doubt a 2000x card will work better*chr

But I have not tried the Pro Capture, where I might expect the card speed to be tested to the full.

What cards did others get given when they bought at the photo show?

Mj

Phill D
23rd March 2017, 09:31 AM
Paul whilst I agree with you and am likely to buy some fast cards soon too. I'd be interested as to the "huge" performance difference Tony referred to between the 2000x and the 1000x cards. I like to use micro SD cards in my Mk1 via an adaptor as I can then quickly put the micro card in my Samsung tablet and review images whilst away on holiday. The micro cards only seem to come in 1000x so I need to balance speed vs convenience.

MJ224
23rd March 2017, 09:41 AM
Following my post about the Lexar 1000X card and Pro Capture.

Have just tried it in the house, after using the Pro Capture Low speed for a few seconds, the card writing certainly takes 10 seconds or so. But camera is up for further shots whilst this is happening.

1000x works Ok, but if you are going top use this Pro Capture a lot, especially at the high speed, my guess is the faster card will work better.

Horses for courses I guess.......

Phill D
23rd March 2017, 09:42 AM
Update I just found a Lexar micro SD card that is 1800x with read/write speeds close to the 2000x card maybe I'll go with that one.

Phill D
23rd March 2017, 09:56 AM
Here is a brilliant site that shows a comparison of card speeds in the mk2. Easy to make a choice from here.

http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/olympus-e-m1-ii/sd-card-speed-comparison-test/

TonyR
23rd March 2017, 10:16 AM
... I'd be interested as to the "huge" performance difference Tony referred to between the 2000x and the 1000x cards...

My camera is set for 15 fps in sequential L. Each raw file is approx 20MB. If I shoot for 1 second, I create 300MB of data which (using the data from the test) site will take 300/159.2 = 1.88 seconds from the start of the burst. i.e. 0.88 seconds from when the burst finishes.

With the 1000 card, the same data takes 300/76 = 3.95 seconds to write from the start of the burst. i.e. 2.95 seconds from the end of the burst.

So the faster card "feels" 3 to 4 times quicker because what you worry about is how long it takes to write to the card after you stop shooting.

Another way to think of this is that, at 159.2 MB/s, the camera can write forever if you shoot at 8 fps or less. I haven't actually tried this but you get the picture...

pdk42
23rd March 2017, 12:45 PM

Thanks, just ordered one of these.

pdk42
24th March 2017, 04:46 PM
Thanks, just ordered one of these.

And oh boy, is it F A S T !!

Why didn't Oly make them both UHS-II?

c12402
24th March 2017, 11:06 PM
That's also a mystery for me... current implementation is not really compelling to use both slots.

RobEW
19th March 2019, 11:34 AM

How can a buyer be sure they are getting a genuine card and not a lookalike? Is the seller at this link known to be reputable?

pdk42
19th March 2019, 11:54 AM
One of my 2000x cards failed. The other has broken plastic on the connector. I recently ordered a Sony Tough card to replace the failed one. Fantastic product. I did a short write up on the forum.

drmarkf
19th March 2019, 12:02 PM
Iíve got several Lexar 1000x and one SanDisk 300Mb/s, and in a couple of yearsí wildlife & motorsports photography, including a lot of Pro Capture, Iíve never had to wait for a buffer to clear.

My experience with my real life usage is that 2000x arenít necessary, but that might not be true for massive High Rate burst users, or 4K video merchants.

pdk42
19th March 2019, 12:09 PM
Here's the quick "review" I did:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49751

Ross the fiddler
19th March 2019, 12:30 PM
One of my 2000x cards failed. The other has broken plastic on the connector. I recently ordered a Sony Tough card to replace the failed one. Fantastic product. I did a short write up on the forum.

I continue to use the Sandisk Extreme Pro 300MB/s SDHC II 32Gb card (was a bonus one from Olympus when I bought the E-M1 II in 2017). It serves me well & I have the Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s SDHC I 32Gb card in Slot 2.

Can you link that Sony Tough write up you did please? EDIT: You did it while I was writing (& distracted for some time).

Growltiger
19th March 2019, 10:45 PM
How can a buyer be sure they are getting a genuine card and not a lookalike? Is the seller at this link known to be reputable?
To be sure buy from Amazon and not from Amazon Marketplace. That link is for a Marketplace seller, GE Trading. It needs to say "Sold and fulfilled by Amazon".