PDA

View Full Version : Free Copy of DXO Pro V9 anyone interested ?

shotokan101
17th March 2017, 11:31 AM
Hi - I posted this in another lounge thread about Noise Reduction S/W and thought that other members might find it useful so creating own thread.

Did everyone spot this the other week ?

https://www.dpreview.com/news/4139888330/grab-a-free-copy-of-dxo-opticspro-9-while-you-can?ref_=pe_1674010_132618830

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/dxo-optics-pro-9-software-review-24436

Jim

BTW - ignore the February deadline - I've just checked and it still works - just enter your email address using the link in the article

or just use this

http://www.dxo.com/us/digitalcamerauk

Jim

Page still seems to be active and accepting emails...

Jim

shotokan101
17th March 2017, 12:19 PM
The page is indeed still active and accepting email addresses, however, in my case, it appears not to be responding and returning the activation link. No doubt a cost effective way of harvesting email addresses for future advertising purposes. :D

Before posting the thread I used the page to register a new email account and I received an code just fine ?

Possibly a type in the address you used ? - or have you checked your Spam Folder ?

Jim

shotokan101
17th March 2017, 01:51 PM
Yay! :cool:

jdal
17th March 2017, 02:40 PM
Thanks for that. The blurb says it doesn't run on Win10, but it does. It doesn't support the E-M5mkII though.

shotokan101
17th March 2017, 02:43 PM
Yes - the support will be lacking for (RAW) on any camera models released after it was.... and I suppose (assuming it supports other lossless formats like TIFF/DNG) you could convert your RAW's.... in any case still - not bad for Now't :)

JIm

jdal
17th March 2017, 02:53 PM
Yes - the support will be lacking for (RAW) on any camera models released after it was.... and I suppose (assuming it supports other lossless formats like TIFF/DNG) you could convert your RAW's.... in any case still - not bad for Now't :)

JIm
Good point re DNG. I was looking for a raw converter to replace Lightroom, which is becoming stupidly resource-hungry.

jdal
17th March 2017, 03:04 PM
Doesn't support DNG from unsupported cameras, and won't process the LR-output DNG from an E-M5 image.

shotokan101
17th March 2017, 03:11 PM
Shame - just leaves TIFF then...

Harold Gough
17th March 2017, 03:37 PM
It's a shame that it doesn't help many but it opens the RAW files from my EM-1 and from my A7R, so it is useful to me, not least with my Topaz Plugins in PS currently compromised.

Harold

PeterBirder
17th March 2017, 08:20 PM
There is a solution to getting Dxo OP to accept raw files from a camera which is not supported,

Back in 2011 we had the same problem with DxO not accepting E-600 files even though the E-600 is identical to the E-620 functionally (just lacks coloured lights and other physical atributes). The solution was found by member Tordan58 and is given in his thread here (last post). http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17747

You need to change the Hex code in the EXIF associated with the camera model rather than just the text. To do this you need a Hex editer XVI32 here. http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm

I just checked and I was able to take an EM-10 MKII raw file and change its EXFIF to read E-M5 and it was accepted by OpticPro 11 and the displayed EXIF showed E-M5.

The method used is to open the raw file in XVI32, use "SEARCH" to find the TEXT String for the camera model of the original file, change this to a supported camera identity and hit SAVE. This will not only change the text string but the associated Hex code which is what OP is looking for. (Caution, if as in the case of my example the new camera model has fewer characters you have to insert spaces for the missing characters otherwise it moves subsequent bits of text out of position.)

The reason for this complication is that Dxo OpticsPro works on camera and lens profiles derived from physical measurements made in their labs on actual cameras, lenses and camera/lens combinations for both raw and JPEG files rather than simply "reverse engineering" from manufacturers file formats.

Hope this helps.*chr

jdal
17th March 2017, 08:46 PM
Thanks for that Peter, works a treat, I used Ultraedit - my text/hex editor of choice. I feel batch file coming on ... well maybe a macro. Wouldn't like to goose all my raw files!

pdk42
17th March 2017, 09:25 PM
It's probably safer to use Exiftool. That understands the exif format and allows you to change the tags using commands.

jdal
17th March 2017, 09:31 PM
And of course its applying the wrong parameters, so it may not be vary stellar output.

PeterBirder
17th March 2017, 09:43 PM
It's probably safer to use Exiftool. That understands the exif format and allows you to change the tags using commands.

Not sure about that. If I remember correctly when trying to solve the problem with the E-600 we all tried Exiftool and it wouldn't fix it, it seems to be specifically related to the Hex.

Regards.

PeterBirder
17th March 2017, 09:49 PM
And of course its applying the wrong parameters, so it may not be vary stellar output.

Any mismatch will be due to the camera/sensor elements only and it depends on how different the actual sensors are as the lens parameters (which are a key strength of OP's performsnce) will be ok as the majority of lenses (except the very new ones) will still be correct.

I will be very interested to see what results you get.

Regards.*chr

benvendetta
18th March 2017, 07:01 AM
I downloaded it successfully last night. Thanks for the heads up ☺

Harold Gough
18th March 2017, 08:21 AM
From a quick play without instructions, it seems very different from Photoshop to operate. Here is a user guide:

https://www.scribd.com/document/269710135/DxO-Optics-Pro-9-1-User-Guide-Win-Mac

Harold

PeterBirder
18th March 2017, 10:13 AM
From a quick play without instructions, it seems very different from Photoshop to operate. Here is a user guide:

https://www.scribd.com/document/269710135/DxO-Optics-Pro-9-1-User-Guide-Win-Mac

Harold

The user manual is available within the programme, it's accessed from the drop down Help menu at the top of the screen. OP is equivalent to Lightroom not Photoshop.

Regards.

Harold Gough
18th March 2017, 10:52 AM
The user manual is available within the programme, it's accessed from the drop down Help menu at the top of the screen. OP is equivalent to Lightroom not Photoshop.

Regards.

So it is. Thanks.

I went via the Tutorial option. I am not a Lightroom user although I have been curious about it.

Harold

PeterBirder
18th March 2017, 04:26 PM
OP and Lightroom can be considered as primarily raw development and image enhancement programmes whilst Photoshop is more an image manipulation programme although with the addition of ACR it can do raw development.

OP does not do things like layers, cloning, image flipping etc which are manipulation.

Specific features of OP that I like are Micro Contrast which is far superior to Unsharp Mask (although it can do that too) and brings out fine detail without much risk of artfacts, Noise Reduction, and the Smart Lighting which is an "inteligent" shadows/highlights function.This, like a number of functions analyses the image data content to give a correction appropriate to the specific image (which you can then tweak manually if you wish) rather than a manually set adjustment. The lens correction functions having been determined from measurements on sample lenses are very good.

Regards.*chr

Harold Gough
18th March 2017, 04:50 PM
OP and Lightroom can be considered as primarily raw development and image enhancement programmes whilst Photoshop is more an image manipulation programme although with the addition of ACR it can do raw development.

OP does not do things like layers, cloning, image flipping etc which are manipulation.

Specific features of OP that I like are Micro Contrast which is far superior to Unsharp Mask (although it can do that too) and brings out fine detail without much risk of artfacts, Noise Reduction, and the Smart Lighting which is an "inteligent" shadows/highlights function.This, like a number of functions analyses the image data content to give a correction appropriate to the specific image (which you can then tweak manually if you wish) rather than a manually set adjustment. The lens correction functions having been determined from measurements on sample lenses are very good.

Regards.*chr

I have always used PS for RAW, although pre-Camera Raw it was as TIFFs via the Olympus software. I now use it mainly as a host for Topaz plug-ins and for resizing and saving processed images. I use microcontrast only when I have diffraction at very small apertures. There is also a shadow fill function.

Harold

Harold Gough
4th April 2017, 10:55 AM
My copy seems to be getting good results via the default and prime. I have made no adjustments but the noise level seems much lower and has been good enough in recently-processed images. The saving process does take several minutes.

Harold