PDA

View Full Version : Iron Pot - Storm Bay Tasmania - New Painting

pandora
13th March 2017, 07:39 AM
It happens to be Australia's Queen's Birthday long weekend and I've just completed a new painting of The Iron Pot Lighthouse,
also known as the Derwent Lighthouse. It is Tasmania’s oldest lighthouse, and the second oldest in Australia.
The square tower was built in 1832 by Pommies (convicts) :D. The 11-metre (36 ft)-tall tower
has a range of 11 nautical miles (20 km; 13 mi).[3]

Oil on canvas board 24" x 24"
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Iron_Pot_Tasmania.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/92124)

Wee man
13th March 2017, 08:52 AM
Nice painting Mark and even a BIF !

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Beagletorque
13th March 2017, 11:55 AM
That's a biggy. Excellent movement in the water, you've always impressed me with your waters.

OM USer
13th March 2017, 03:19 PM
Another good one Mark

pandora
13th March 2017, 07:03 PM
Ed, Andrew, Om - Thanks for commenting. I thought you'd be interested to see the reference images used for this work.
I draw the painting on canvas in charcoal taking elements from two or more photos to form a coherent composition.

E-520 + SWD70-200mm reference images (2009 archives)
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5311065xx.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/92135)

Mrs T
13th March 2017, 07:52 PM
Yet another great painting Mark.

Naughty Nigel
14th March 2017, 09:45 AM
Great painting Mark. The BIF really makes it for me.

MJ224
14th March 2017, 10:17 AM
As all have said, a really nice painting.

Not to criticise, but I would have left off the water drops from the gulls feet...........

*chr

pandora
14th March 2017, 10:45 AM
Yet another great painting Mark.
Thanks Amanda.

Great painting Mark. The BIF really makes it for me.
Thanks Nigel, birds are always part of a seascape, and landscapes also.

Not to criticise, but I would have left off the water drops from the gulls feet...........*chr

Thanks Mark, but why? :confused:

Naughty Nigel
14th March 2017, 11:07 AM

Not to criticise, but I would have left off the water drops from the gulls feet...........

*chr

I don't find the water drops distracting. The position of the bird helps to guide the eye towards the lighthouse, so I don't really find myself looking at the bird itself.

iso
14th March 2017, 06:40 PM
I think people are missing the point here. Mark took a couple of pics, (the long shot of the lighthouse I like a lot), and produced something else with them. good'on'yer,.*chr

MJ224
14th March 2017, 07:03 PM
Thanks Amanda.

Thanks Nigel, birds are always part of a seascape, and landscapes also.

Thanks Mark, but why? :confused:

No offence meant, and not taken I am sure.............

I just thought the "drips" where not immediately obvious what they where, and IMHO, they look (drips) have just been sketched on. What I see, is the bird taking off from the beach, maybe a damp one but not from water from which the drips might come from. Just my take, most likely wrong (I usually am!!)

If everyone else thinks they are great, then you have obviously hit the nail on the head,

But the painting otherwise is very pleasing......................

*chr

pandora
14th March 2017, 08:14 PM
No offence at all, Mark. I was just interested to know how you saw the "drips". Perhaps it was remiss of me not to have painted a disturbance on the surface of the water (albeit about 2" deep!) to make the narrative more obvious. That can still be done. You will notice that disturbance in the reference photo. Thanks for the valued feedback, to artists and photographers alike, constructive critiques are just as valuable as compliments.

pandora
14th March 2017, 08:31 PM
I think people are missing the point here. Mark took a couple of pics, (the long shot of the lighthouse I like a lot), and produced something else with them. good'on'yer,.*chr
Thanks iso. Painting from one's own photos is both challenging and gratifying. To reconstruct the photographic experience and interpret it differently in a new medium is what I'm attempting to do. "Artist's Licence" confers freedom to change things around, ramp up the chroma and make any other changes at the painter's whim.

pandora
14th March 2017, 08:39 PM
I don't find the water drops distracting. The position of the bird helps to guide the eye towards the lighthouse, so I don't really find myself looking at the bird itself.

Thank you Nigel. Between the lighthouse and the critical placement of the bird, there's a deliberate 'tension' upon which the power of the composition relies.