PDA

View Full Version : Sealed packaging for cameras / lenses???

RobEW
13th March 2017, 06:09 AM
Another question. I'm very curious in this new world.

Do any manufacturers sealed cameras and/or lenses in sealed packages?

The more I read on here and elsewhere online, the mode I realise that some more experienced photographers are very picky and do their own quality control on stuff bought, and often return it for another copy. So even when I buy something new from a retailer, because there are no seals on packs, for all I know it may have been returned by someone more discriminating than me. If there were sealed packs then I'd know if I got one that I had most likely an average copy rather than buying from a pool from which the best copies had been retained and the less good ones sent back.

I guess the same applies when buying used. People are more likely to part with a lens which isn't a good example of its type than one which is an excellent example.

Phill D
13th March 2017, 06:51 AM
Never sent any lenses back I've bought new myself.

RobEW
13th March 2017, 07:00 AM
Maybe it's just a small proportion of the population of lenses out there that have failed someone's personal quality control ...

Naughty Nigel
13th March 2017, 09:07 AM
There used to be a company that sold 'individually tested' lenses back in the 1980's if I recall. They claimed that only four or five lenses in ten met their standards.

I have no idea what happened to them, but I suspect the consistency between lenses is so good nowadays that there is little to choose between any in a batch.

RobEW
13th March 2017, 10:38 AM
This posting (on another forum - are we allowed to do that?) from "Robstar" (no relation) is an example of the sort of thing I had in mind.

https://www.mu-43.com/posts/967288/