PDA

View Full Version : Over quota

sapper
8th March 2017, 12:08 PM
I have had folk get in touch saying that their emails to me are bouncing with a reason, "Over Quota". Some folk's mails are getting through, but some are not.
Anyone got an idea as to why this is happening? I have deleted loads of emails in the hope that it will help, but not sure if it has.

Shaw
8th March 2017, 12:15 PM
I picked this up on Google:

When the mail server sends an "Over Quota" warning it means your mail account has exceeded (or will soon exceed) the default email account space limitation of 1GB (1000MB). The first notice is issued when an account reaches 900MB.

Naughty Nigel
8th March 2017, 02:08 PM
Are you using MS Outlook to read your emails or do you go online?

If you are using what is known as the "POP3" email protocol with an email client such as MS Outlook there is a setting to confirm that emails are deleted from the server when you delete them at your end. If this isn't ticked the emails will stay there forever!

You may need to log on to your mail account via your web browser and delete the old emails manually.

sapper
8th March 2017, 02:19 PM
Thanks guys.I am using apple mail, have altered preferences to delete from server as advised.

Naughty Nigel
8th March 2017, 02:38 PM
Thanks guys.I am using apple mail, have altered preferences to delete from server as advised.

That sounds like good news.

You may still need to go online to delete emails manually though (online), as the command to delete individual messages is only sent when you empty your Deleted Items folder (or whatever Apple calls it).

sapper
8th March 2017, 04:36 PM
That sounds like good news.

You may still need to go online to delete emails manually though (online), as the command to delete individual messages is only sent when you empty your Deleted Items folder (or whatever Apple calls it).

Dunnit, now to wait and see.

Harold Gough
11th March 2017, 09:01 AM
Are you using MS Outlook to read your emails or do you go online?

If you are using what is known as the "POP3" email protocol with an email client such as MS Outlook there is a setting to confirm that emails are deleted from the server when you delete them at your end. If this isn't ticked the emails will stay there forever!

I use Outlook Express via Windows Live Mail. I have never received such a message but I am certainly grateful, when a PC has been compromised, or is just way being repaired, that accessing Outlook Express in the same account via another computer gets the last couple of years' worth downloaded there. I have used this for the past week.

Harold

sapper
11th March 2017, 09:14 AM
I eventually got Apple to ring me. Spoke to a very nice young lady who helped me sort out the problem.
I had signed up for extra cloud storage for my pics, then after a few months, cancelled it, but my pics were still taking up space on the cloud. We deleted them, ( I have backups) and signed out and back in again and now everything is fine.
So thanks for your help guys.

Naughty Nigel
12th March 2017, 02:26 PM
I use Outlook Express via Windows Live Mail. I have never received such a message but I am certainly grateful, when a PC has been compromised, or is just way being repaired, that accessing Outlook Express in the same account via another computer gets the last couple of years' worth downloaded there. I have used this for the past week.

Harold

That may seem useful, but sooner or later you will run out of space, and people emailing you will receive "mailbox full" messages.

It is far better to create backup copies of your mailbox file (usually *.pst).

The usual location is C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Harold Gough
12th March 2017, 03:02 PM
That may seem useful, but sooner or later you will run out of space, and people emailing you will receive "mailbox full" messages.

It is far better to create backup copies of your mailbox file (usually *.pst).

The usual location is C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Some 18 or so years on, no problem so far. I have never opted for the server to retain copies so it may have some default, rolling retention period.

This is where my live messages are stored, although they are readable only via Outlook express:

C:\Users\Harold\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\(Domain*) (h 752

*Removed for security.
Harold

Harold Gough
14th March 2017, 07:57 AM
I have never opted for the server to retain copies so it may have some default, rolling retention period.
I happened to have to take a look and the server deletes any messages that I delete.

Harold

Naughty Nigel
14th March 2017, 09:43 AM
I happened to have to take a look and the server deletes any messages that I delete.

Harold

That should be the default for POP3 email accounts. Otherwise they will stay there for ever. (I don't think any POP3 mail servers have an automatic retention period.)

If you use multiple machines it is better to use an Exchange mail server. That way messages, notes and calendars are synchronised across all machines, including emails that you have sent.

Some POP3 mail servers also support the IMAP protocol which offers many of the benefits of Exchange at POP3 prices.