PDA

View Full Version : Spotted at Slimbridge...

Walti
26th February 2017, 05:20 PM
Just got home after a week out and about including a stop-off at Slimbridge while travelling on Friday, where we spotted an E-M1mkii (complete with 300f4 and MC1.4) - had a quick chat with the owner, but didn't establish if it was anyone here!

Mrs T
26th February 2017, 07:29 PM
You'd have seen another one if you'd been there yesterday, but with the Panasonic 100-400mm!

Harold Gough
28th February 2017, 04:17 PM
You'd have seen another one if you'd been there yesterday, but with the Panasonic 100-400mm!

Amanda,

That lens is on my shopping list, when the price is right. It is said to be very good. Would you agree?

Harold

Mrs T
28th February 2017, 08:49 PM
Amanda,

That lens is on my shopping list, when the price is right. It is said to be very good. Would you agree?

Harold

Yes I would agree and I do like the extra reach compared with the Olympus 40-150mm + 1.4 TC. However the Olympus has the advantage of f4 and closer focusing. I wish the focus ring turned the same way as the Olympus and it could be used with the Olympus pro capture. I have been very happy with the results.

Amanda

Phill D
1st March 2017, 08:01 AM
Amanda what is the difference in close focussing? I've been wondering if I should sell my little used 40-150 & 1.4TC and get the 100-400. What do you think would that be daft?

MJ224
1st March 2017, 08:44 AM
Can concur with Amanda re the Pany 100-400mm

Would go further by saying its a much better lens anyway. Much better clarity

You get what you pay for..............

Mrs T
1st March 2017, 08:28 PM
Amanda what is the difference in close focussing? I've been wondering if I should sell my little used 40-150 & 1.4TC and get the 100-400. What do you think would that be daft?

Phill D,

The 40-150mm has a focussing distance of 0.5m vs. 1.3m for the Panasonic.

It really is noticeable depending on your subject. I found with the Olympus I could get very close to dragonflies, and not as much with the Panasonic. For birds at Slimbridge it makes much less difference. It does hunt a little bit more than the Olympus in lower light.

Both are great lenses, and neither would be daft. If the extra reach is the deciding factor then you will probably fond the Panasonic ideal.

Amanda

MJ224
1st March 2017, 09:27 PM
Kinda wonder if the min focusing distance with a zoom lens should be the deciding factor.

If you are determined to shoot at close distances, then I suspect you are not using the right lens. Certainly the Pany outclass's the Oly for zoom quality...........

Have to add I have never tried (nor afforded) the Oly 300mm primes, but that's another story.

Mrs T
1st March 2017, 09:36 PM
For me, it was the extra magnification.

Phill D
2nd March 2017, 07:45 AM
My problem is that I had my 75-300 pinched and as I subsequently got the 40-150 & TC I just didn't get round to replacing the longer lens. I'm missing that longer reach and was wondering if the Panasonic 100-400 would be a better way to go. To be honest I've never really got on with the 40-150 & TC. It's too heavy for everyday shorter use and just not long enough when I want the long end. Plus the bokeh is just too nervous for me all too often giving almost double exposed looking backgrounds. I'm surprised you say that the Panny is better quality Mark I'd have thought it would have been a bit worse to be honest. I do like the close focussing of the Olympus so would miss that for the occasional flowers and insects but how does the bokeh compare between the two lenses? and is the smaller max aperture of the Panny a good enough reason to justify both lenses? Any thoughts welcome.

MJ224
2nd March 2017, 04:07 PM
My problem is that I had my 75-300 pinched and as I subsequently got the 40-150 & TC I just didn't get round to replacing the longer lens. I'm missing that longer reach and was wondering if the Panasonic 100-400 would be a better way to go. To be honest I've never really got on with the 40-150 & TC. It's too heavy for everyday shorter use and just not long enough when I want the long end. Plus the bokeh is just too nervous for me all too often giving almost double exposed looking backgrounds. I'm surprised you say that the Panny is better quality Mark I'd have thought it would have been a bit worse to be honest. I do like the close focussing of the Olympus so would miss that for the occasional flowers and insects but how does the bokeh compare between the two lenses? and is the smaller max aperture of the Panny a good enough reason to justify both lenses? Any thoughts welcome.

Hi Phil. Hope this not a Thread Hijack................

I can't give any scientific qualification re saying the Pany is better quality than the Oly 75-400. But I am taking my moon shots a rating. The Pany has taken significantly better more detailed shots it. Whether this is a mark of quality would depend on your view point. I know I struggled to get a good detailed shot of the moon with the Oly 75-300mm. Some say the Oly gets soft at the 300mm end, certainly my shots showed the moon to be not at all detailed. The zoom is good, the lens ISIS works very well, the speed of focus is good. The minimum focus length is probably outweighed by the extra zoom, and IMHO, a foot closer ain't that much of an advantage. Downsides of the lens is its weight and size. In this winter weather, the lens is usually fairly wide open, and all I want is to see the bird in good detail. However a birding lens, it works well for me............

Having bought the Pany a month ago, I still have the Oly, but have not used it since...There ya go.

Mrs T
2nd March 2017, 08:34 PM

Hi Phill,

If you can I would have both. Mr T uses the 40-150mm + TC most of the time when we go to Slimbridge, but if I wanted to use pro capture then I would use it. For there without a doubt the extra reach of the 100-400mm is a real boon. I also like you, do like to take photos of flowers and/or insects so I know exactly what you mean.

In terms of IQ, I would agree with Mark that the 100-400mm Panasonic and the 75-300mm Olympus are probably similar quality and at their best in good lighting.

But if the comparison is between the 100-400mm Panasonic and the 40-150mm + TC Olympus then I would say the Olympus edges it. However you are not keen on the strange bokeh.

So, I think they both have their place!

I'll try and find some pictures I've taken with both lenses and e-mail them to you if you want. If so are you happy to PM your e-mail address? It might not be this weekend though.

Amanda

Phill D
2nd March 2017, 09:21 PM
Oops sorry about the hijack but brilliant info Mark and Amanda thanks. Pm on its way Amanda.

Harold Gough
3rd March 2017, 06:36 AM
Yes I would agree and I do like the extra reach compared with the Olympus 40-150mm + 1.4 TC. However the Olympus has the advantage of f4 and closer focusing. I wish the focus ring turned the same way as the Olympus and it could be used with the Olympus pro capture. I have been very happy with the results.

Amanda

Thanks. The longer maximum focal length is the main interest, e.g. for any opportunist shots of birds or large dragonflies.

Harold