PDA

View Full Version : Investments

sapper
25th February 2017, 10:17 PM
Thought for the Day!
If you had purchased 1,000 of shares in Delta Airlines one year ago, you would have 49.00 today.
If you had purchased 1,000 of shares in AIG insurance company one year ago, you would have 33.00 today.
If you had purchased 1,000 of shares in Lehman Brothers five years ago, you would have nothing today.
But, if you had purchased 1,000 worth of beer over one year at Tesco's, drunk all the beer, then taken the aluminium cans to the scrap metal dealer, you would have received 214.00.
Based on the above, the best current investment plan is to drink heavily & recycle.

pdk42
25th February 2017, 10:24 PM
Sounds like a plan!

Graham_of_Rainham
25th February 2017, 10:29 PM
Along with little memory or any idea of how you ended up with 214 :confused:

David M
25th February 2017, 11:00 PM
This has got me thinking, there's a deposit on alcohol containers in Ontario, 10 cents per beer can. So would it be better financially to crush them and take them to the scrap yard. It gets even more complicated in Saskatchewan where there's a deposit on just about every recyclable container.

Naughty Nigel
25th February 2017, 11:13 PM
Thought for the Day!
If you had purchased 1,000 of shares in Delta Airlines one year ago, you would have 49.00 today.
If you had purchased 1,000 of shares in AIG insurance company one year ago, you would have 33.00 today.
If you had purchased 1,000 of shares in Lehman Brothers five years ago, you would have nothing today.
But, if you had purchased 1,000 worth of beer over one year at Tesco's, drunk all the beer, then taken the aluminium cans to the scrap metal dealer, you would have received 214.00.
Based on the above, the best current investment plan is to drink heavily & recycle.

Having once owned shares in Northern Rock I share your pain. :(

The beer drinking plan seems like a good one, and is eco friendly as well, so what isn't to like? :D

Aluminium seems to be a good investment these days, so what else could we invest in. A classic Aston Martin would be nice to drive and in theory could ultimately be recycled just like the beer cans. *yes

Zuiko
25th February 2017, 11:30 PM
But what would you do with the 214.00?

Reinvest it in more beer of course! *chr

David M
25th February 2017, 11:58 PM
But what would you do with the 214.00?

Reinvest it in more beer of course! *chr

Or, being a long term Olympus user, buy shares in Nikon. :D :eek:

Zuiko
26th February 2017, 12:03 AM
Aluminium seems to be a good investment these days, so what else could we invest in. A classic Aston Martin would be nice to drive and in theory could ultimately be recycled just like the beer cans. *yes

How about buying a DeLorean? Okay, it's made of stainless steel, not aluminium, but we could use it to travel back to the future then we would know which investments would be good and even the winning lottery numbers!

Incidentally, plans are currently being developed to restart small scale production of the DeLorean. The company is now owned by a Liverpudlian mechanic based in Humble, Texas (Humble? Texas? Not two words you would expect to find in the same sentence). Apparently a recent change in US law regarding small scale reproduction of classic cars now makes this a viable proposition. http://www.delorean.com/new-delorean-production-update.htm

Wee man
26th February 2017, 01:04 AM
Sapper just to let you know two things have happened since you started this thread; Tesco have a sale on all canned beer, and the metals market has rallied and aluminium has risen 3.7%!
So you would now get more beer and more recyclable materials so you would now get 243:71

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Wally
26th February 2017, 08:45 AM
There is yet another plus to the beer / recycling and it that as beer is made from barley / hops it should also count as one of your five a day.

If you think that is good news, then it gets better? *yes

A recent health news item has suggested raising the five a day... to 10 a day. :tup

A win - win scenario. *chr

MJ224
26th February 2017, 10:37 AM
Thought for the Day!

And a fat belly..........*chr

OM USer
26th February 2017, 02:22 PM
How about buying a DeLorean? ...Incidentally, plans are currently being developed to restart small scale production of the DeLorean. The company is now owned by a Liverpudlian mechanic based in Humble, Texas

Yes, I've heard this too.

Harold Gough
26th February 2017, 03:47 PM

But not cycle! :eek:

Harold

Harold Gough
26th February 2017, 03:54 PM
There is yet another plus to the beer / recycling and it that as beer is made from barley / hops it should also count as one of your five a day.

Now that the five a day recommendation has gone up to ten a day, that's ten beers. Two for breakfast...

Harold

Naughty Nigel
26th February 2017, 09:32 PM
Sapper just to let you know two things have happened since you started this thread; Tesco have a sale on all canned beer, and the metals market has rallied and aluminium has risen 3.7%!
So you would now get more beer and more recyclable materials so you would now get 243:71

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Asda are currently offering 3 x 10 packs of Draught Guinness for 20.

Having thirty aluminium cans to recycle must be good karma. :)

maccabeej
24th March 2017, 02:34 PM
Unfortunately I was diagnosed with coeliac disease last year so I can't drink beer. This investment plan doesn't work for me. So where to I go to buy these Lehman share!

Naughty Nigel
24th March 2017, 04:08 PM
Unfortunately I was diagnosed with coeliac disease last year so I can't drink beer. This investment plan doesn't work for me. So where to I go to buy these Lehman share!

I'm sorry to hear that, but you can always donate the beer to a good cause.

I will PM you with my address. :D

Wee man
24th March 2017, 09:33 PM
Just buy the beer pour it down the loo ( cut out the middle man ) and recycle the cans.
OR
Pour the beer into plastic bottles recycle the cans and sell the beer at a car boot sale, charging a deposit on the bottles. Win for you

Wee Man

Naughty Nigel
26th March 2017, 07:48 PM
Just buy the beer pour it down the loo ( cut out the middle man ) and recycle the cans.
OR
Pour the beer into plastic bottles recycle the cans and sell the beer at a car boot sale, charging a deposit on the bottles. Win for you

Wee Man

As an added incentive, you could drink the beer and sell the 'results' to make AdBlue! :)