PDA

View Full Version : Imminent Olympus cameras price increase.

Westy
25th February 2017, 01:09 PM
I am in the fortunate position of being able to buy the EM1 mkii. Whilst in the dealers making the purchase he told me that Olympus are shortly to increase the camera body prices by about 10% (except the EM1 mklii) which he believed had already been factored in at launch. P.S. he didn't think that lens will be affected at this point in time. :(

drmarkf
25th February 2017, 07:53 PM
Noted, thanks.
No surprises in view of the the current, ahemm, situation.

However, I'd just add that there's wide disagreement among various economic sources about whether the current Brexit-depressed pound might stage something of a recovery in the medium term thanks to possible Trump-depression of the US$.

All impossible to predict, of course, and it's the £-yen and yen-China rates that are of primary importance, but in view of the international uncertainty I'd personally counsel against rushing in to any purchases that are a stretch and aren't really necessary.

[Thinks: I wonder how high the £ might have gone without Brexit ;-) ]

[Oh yeah: as predicted this effect is likely to result in price rises for the Nikon 750 and 500, Sony 6500 and newer Canons, which may take some wind out of the sails of the anti-Oly trolls on dpreview!]

pdk42
25th February 2017, 09:26 PM
Oddly, the E-M1ii in the US is $1999. At £1=$1.25, that's £1600. Quite a difference.

DerekW
25th February 2017, 11:10 PM
does the US price include the STate tax?

pdk42
26th February 2017, 12:23 AM
does the US price include the STate tax?

No - but if you ship out-of-state most jurisdictions haven't wised up on how to charge you!

Grumpy Hec
26th February 2017, 07:41 AM
This is consistent with what I was told at the time I was debating whether or not to pre-order the MK II. Both the retailer and the Olympus rep expected camera prices to go up, not just for Olympus, but that this had been factored in to the MKII price to avoid that going up so soon after launch.

This was one of the reasons I decided to buy even though the asking price is high.

A great camera though to put it into perspective and I certainly don't regret my decision.

Hec

pandora
26th February 2017, 10:17 AM
Well then, if camera prices are to rise perhaps more of you should either invest in the latest phone camera or simply take up painting? *shrug :D

drmarkf
26th February 2017, 07:47 PM
Well then, if camera prices are to rise perhaps more of you should either invest in the latest phone camera or simply take up painting? *shrug :D

Or stick with what we're using already. After all, it's not as though they're suddenly going to stop working!

Naughty Nigel
26th February 2017, 09:38 PM

... Or, with reference to another thread, drink more beer so you have plenty of empty cans to take to the scrap yard for recycling. That way you can spend the money raised from scrap on cameras. Perfect logic. *yes

pdk42
26th February 2017, 10:27 PM
E-M1ii now available in $ cheaper than £:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-mirrorless-camera-body-only-black/5684901.p?skuId=5684901

Naughty Nigel
27th February 2017, 09:47 AM

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-mirrorless-camera-body-only-black/5684901.p?skuId=5684901

That is no surprise.

Compare Adobe's charges for the UK with those for the USA and Canada.

Adobe claims the additional cost reflects the need to support different languages in Europe. :rolleyes:

b1ts
28th February 2017, 10:26 AM

And back to the $1999 again, so either a one day offer or mistake.

Also possibly worth pointing out that you are comparing the ex tax pricing there to the inc taxes here, a fairer comparison may be to the likes of panamoz where we can also buy for the equivalent price more or less.
If you brought one of best buys žnto the uk and declared it as you should it would be no real saving (unfortunately :( ).