PDA

View Full Version : Windows OneDrive: Any Opinons/Experience?

Harold Gough
25th February 2017, 09:46 AM
The opportunity (W10) to set it up keeps popping up. I am wary of it.

Harold

Daveart
25th February 2017, 10:21 AM
Hi Harold, I use Microsoft cloud works really well you can set up different folders and set each one independently is private your eyes only trends and family only or public, oh and a private view invite only.

I got the early one which I got 30gigabyte space I think now it is just 5/10gig space for free, does full size 1080 videos full length no extra cost only restricted by men space.
You can by extra space reasonable cost.

Good luck
Dave

Harold Gough
25th February 2017, 11:29 AM
Hi Harold, I use Microsoft cloud works really well you can set up different folders and set each one independently is private your eyes only trends and family only or public, oh and a private view invite only.

I got the early one which I got 30gigabyte space I think now it is just 5/10gig space for free, does full size 1080 videos full length no extra cost only restricted by men space.
You can by extra space reasonable cost.

Good luck
Dave

Thanks, Dave.

Might that be a good host for videos (ca 250,000 KB) to be viewed by links in forums?

I'm particularly nervous of its removal of duplicate files, as mine, in different folders often share image file numbers.

Harold

Westy
25th February 2017, 12:31 PM
I find it very good, just a bummer that Microsoft greatly reduced the free storage allocation.

Naughty Nigel
25th February 2017, 01:33 PM
I'm particularly nervous of its removal of duplicate files, as mine, in different folders often share image file numbers.

Harold

I have used OneDrive for quite a while, and pay ĢI.99 a month for an additional 100 GB storage.

I find it useful for sharing files and storage space with clients so they have
access to photographs and documents, and they in turn can drop files in for me.

I have never found a problem with duplicate files, and didn't even know OneDrive deleted duplicate files! If it does do this I suspect it would look at much more than the file name before deleting (rather like the 'Easy Duplicate File Finder' app).

I actually prefer DropBox as an app, (I use the free version), and especially its ability to synchronise files over a local network rather than via the internet; but OneDrive is better value.

steverh
25th February 2017, 10:04 PM
I use Microsoft Office 365 and as part of the deal I get a lot of storage space on OneDrive. I find it really useful as a way of sharing folders of images with family and friends. I'm sure it would be equally useful for sharing videos as Harold suggests.

I haven't come across any problem with duplicate images being deleted. I have a folder on my main W10 machine which is synced with OneDrive and everything I want to share is in sub-folders from that. Duplicate file names shouldn't matter in theory but I have not tested it!

Usefully there are OneDrive apps so that you can also sync stuff to your phone or tablet in a controlled manner.

Naughty Nigel
25th February 2017, 10:58 PM
I use OneDrive on several machines. You can choose which folders are synchronised on each. And as Steve says, you can synchronise files on mobile devices.

Another useful feature of OneDrive is that it will allow remote access to non-OneDrive files on synchronised computers at home as long as they are switched on, and file sharing is enabled on the drives concerned.

One thing you may find is that files deleted on one machine turn up in the recycle bin on other synchronised machines, which is as well to be aware of this.

Harold Gough
26th February 2017, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the comments.

I'm not into sharing files, images, etc. My interest is sharing videos is minimal (trail camera footage).

I don't think it's for me. I will probably disable it.

Harold