PDA

View Full Version : Moving away from Olympus...

Gazza_DJ
24th February 2017, 10:11 AM
..But staying in the 4/3 / m4/3 family!

My E3 + 12-60 has served me well for several years now. I still really like the camera - while it may be rather stone age in some aspects like it's high ISO noise control, it can still produce great images and has proven to be very reliable as I'm not the as careful as I should be sometimes.

One thing I wanted to get into was video, so ideally I wanted something that produced excellent 1080p60, 4K would be a nice bonus but not a necessity. Still image quality still needed to be worth the upgrade over my E3 of course!

After a lot of deliveration, I eventually settled on a Panasonic G80 with the 12-60mm as it ticked all the boxes (retaining weather proofing was nice too) while staying just about within budget. It arrived this week so hopefully I'll have time to play with it this weekend. Only thing I've done so far is test the dual IS - I was able to get sharp handheld photos of my car dimly lit under a single sodium street lamp at 1/3sec shutter speed, F4.1, ISO3200. Quite impressive!

Polite Engineer
24th February 2017, 06:55 PM
Ditto
Just traded in my old E620 and a number of lens to get the G80. I wanted something smaller than the E620, a bit more modern and the weather sealing. The video ability is a nice addition. Played around with the post focus option, which is interesting, although don't know when/if I will get to use it in earnest.

Gazza_DJ
25th February 2017, 11:18 AM
I'm keeping my E3 for now, I may sell it at some point, we'll see.

It's going to take me a while to get used to the G80! I feel like my Grandmother must feel when using a tablet :D