PDA

View Full Version : Battery problem...

MarkVarley
30th January 2009, 12:31 PM
I have about 6 BLM-1 batteries, had them since 2005, in heavy use.
The other day I put one on to charge (Olympus BCM-2 charger) and after a couple of minutes of normal (charging) red light, the light started flashing red.
I put a multimeter on it and it was reading low, as it's an old battery I figured it had turned-up it's toes so I ordered a replacement. This is doing the same thing.

Same on both chargers, chargers working fine with other batteries.

Any thoughts forum folks?

Nick Temple-Fry
30th January 2009, 12:58 PM
One of my batteries has done that - stopped flashing after a while and charged perfectly OK. Battery has been used and charged several times since perfectly OK.

I don't think this is a death sign for the battery.

(Maybe it happens more often - I don't tend to watch the charger in action as it sits on a shelf - and why look at it when you know the battery wont be charged yet)

Nick

Archphoto
30th January 2009, 01:17 PM
I would mark this bat and keep an eye on it, see a bit what it does.
If it charges OK now, keep using it, but keep in mind that it is 4 years old.

The blinking could be a sign that the voltage left in the bat when you start the recharging is below a certain minimum.

Greetings,
Peter

MarkVarley
30th January 2009, 03:01 PM
I've put both the old one and new one on charge and I'll check on them tonight, so far both flashing merrily.
Cheers both!

Archphoto
30th January 2009, 05:12 PM
A question: when do you charge your batteries ?
When the camera tells you to do so, or inbetween ?

I allways charge my bat. when the camera tells me to, and the E520 is just one month old.

Peter

E410, E520, 7-14, 11-22, 14-42, 40-150

MarkVarley
30th January 2009, 05:13 PM
I use a pair of batteries in a grip and I always pull them as soon as convenient when the red battery icon comes on.

Archphoto
30th January 2009, 05:21 PM
The best way to do.

I checked OLY and they say nothing about a blinking light......
Just wait untill tomorow and see what happened.......

Peter

rolfw
30th January 2009, 05:51 PM
Interesting, I have a mixture of genuine and ebay batteries and haven't seen that error yet, but will keep an eye out for it. I always use my batteries to exaustion, they seem to charge better.:)

Nick Temple-Fry
1st February 2009, 10:25 PM
Mark - did they charge OK - or did they explode?

I assume no fatalities as you've posted since

Nick

joeletx
2nd February 2009, 12:36 AM
A question: when do you charge your batteries ?
When the camera tells you to do so, or inbetween ?

I too measure the batteries with a Voltmeter and it read about 8.4V freshly recharged and 5.9V-6.3V drained. Since I got burned one time with a drained battery, I always take the readings and charge my batteries when it drops below 6.5V; before any shooting event.

MarkVarley
2nd February 2009, 10:14 AM
Mark - did they charge OK - or did they explode?

I assume no fatalities as you've posted since

Nick

As the new one was doing it also I think it is a low voltage thing, I left both flashing away and overnight they charged and seem fine.

Nick Temple-Fry
2nd February 2009, 10:25 AM
Good

I too suspect it's a low voltage thing, I wonder if Olympus 'pulse' the charge below a certain voltage to reduce overheating/growth of internal resistance.

Nick

Archphoto
2nd February 2009, 10:31 AM
That's what I think too. A pitty though that Olympus say nothing about this smart feature. It's the best way to charge a battery that has been drained verry far.

Peter