PDA

View Full Version : Cable release - buyer beware!

StephenL
30th January 2009, 11:07 AM
Being the cheapskate I am, when I wanted a cable release for my E-3 I scoured the world for the cheapest,and ended up with a JJC (a known make) for about £7.

All went well until I wanted to release the shutter in the portrait format. No joy. Worked fine in all other orientations, including "inverse portrait".

So I was worried that it might actually be the camera.

However, I decided to fork out £50 (ouch!) for a genuine Olympus RM-CB1, which works perfectly in every position known to man (and woman).

The moral of the tale is: buy the best!

PS any tips for not losing the ridiculous little screw cap? Why can't they have a tethered rubber plug, like for some of the other orifices?

MarkVarley
30th January 2009, 11:14 AM
I bought a cheap one off ebay and once I'd cut the plastic body of the plug down a bit it fit fine and worked fine, until I snapped the plug (camera on a tripod, over my shoulder while I walked to a new position on the hillside, must have bashed the plug on my shoulder in the move).

I bought a replacement on ebay from another seller (just happened to be the cheapest one) and the plug fit fine straight away, but the control itself feels like a cheaper plastic than the last one, never mind, it works fine.

As for the little plastic cap, I was going to hot-glue some black cord to it and tether it to the grip, but I doubt I'll get around to it.
This is on my E-300, I'm disappointed to hear they've not added some kind of attachment on the E-3, thats just sloppy.

Nick Temple-Fry
30th January 2009, 11:45 AM
PS any tips for not losing the ridiculous little screw cap? Why can't they have a tethered rubber plug, like for some of the other orifices?

You can screw it onto the provided fitting on the back of the rm-cb1.

Nick

Ian
30th January 2009, 11:58 AM
Being the cheapskate I am, when I wanted a cable release for my E-3 I scoured the world for the cheapest,and ended up with a JJC (a known make) for about £7.

All went well until I wanted to release the shutter in the portrait format. No joy. Worked fine in all other orientations, including "inverse portrait".

So I was worried that it might actually be the camera.

However, I decided to fork out £50 (ouch!) for a genuine Olympus RM-CB1, which works perfectly in every position known to man (and woman).

The moral of the tale is: buy the best!

The RM-CB1 has a storage facility for the screw cap - look on the underside of the unit :)

Ian

Edit: Nick already said it!

StephenL
30th January 2009, 12:45 PM
Thanx, I found this after I had made the post! My only difficulty now is dropping the thing twixt camera and release! I have bigger tablets in the morning! My insensitive fingers have difficulty enough as it is! :mad:

The RM-CB1 has a storage facility for the screw cap - look on the underside of the unit :)

Ian

Henk
30th January 2009, 02:20 PM
I have lost the cap too. I think it is a bad design, the connector should be flush in the camera and the cap should be permanently attached to the camera.

The wire remote of Olympus is way overpriced so I got me a radio controlled remote by Hähnel (http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=dslrremotecontrols&id=35&pId=35) which will connect to my E-510 as well as my E-3 and costs less than the piece of wire from Olympus. And it works!

StephenL
30th January 2009, 02:45 PM
I thought of radio controlled ones but was put off by them fitting to the camera in the same way as any other cable release, including my ill-fated JJC. I figured that if I got a genuine Oly, then at least I'd have some comeback if it too failed. But I respect Hahnel as a make, and if I'd come across one I would have tried it. I could only find "cheapy" ones.

I got me a radio controlled remote by Hähnel (http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=dslrremotecontrols&id=35&pId=35) which will connect to my E-510 as well as my E-3 and costs less than the piece of wire from Olympus. And it works!

250swb
30th January 2009, 04:35 PM
Two things can fail with the JJC remotes. The cable isn't very 'rubbery', so the outer sheath usually snaps where it goes into the plug. This causes intermitent failure before it finally gives up the ghost. The second problem is potentially more serious, in that some of the JJC RM-CB1 remotes come with the barrel connectors inside the plug out of alignment, and this is difficult to spot. What then happens is that the plug is screwed onto the socket and the inside of the socket (the part with the pins) can be pushed into the body of the camera (it seems to be only mounted via a rubber gasket in the E3). If it goes to far it is a job for Olympus, but sometimes it can be saved by carefully pulling it back out and into position with needle nosed pliers by grabbing one of the pins.

I think you did the right thing getting the Olympus remote, it is pricey, but it is reliable and well made.

Steve

StephenL
30th January 2009, 04:45 PM
And if anything goes wrong, it's back to Olympus, even if the camera is damaged by it!

I think you did the right thing getting the Olympus remote, it is pricey, but it is reliable and well made.

Steve

benvendetta
6th February 2009, 01:26 PM
At one stage I was going to go with the cheap version but after reading many horror stories on DPReview I decided not to. However, I was lucky to get the proper Oly one, unused on EBay for about £22 - bargain. However, I have yet to use it much as the RM-1 cordless one is so much easier as long as you can aim it at the front of the E-3.
Wouldn't it be great if Oly made their bodies with a sensor on the back as well...................

Chris_Smith
23rd February 2009, 10:52 PM
Hi Guys

First post for me here.

Bought a new E-3 today and was a bit miffed to find out that my remote release cable that I've already got for my E-520 will not fit the E-3. The price of the official E-3 cable release is extortionate (£75). I've noted the Hahnel wireless release as previously mentioned and that sounds like a better prospect.

My question though is about the infra-red units made by Oly. I know the receiver is at the front but how difficult are they to use when the camera is tripod mounted and taking group photos?

dodger
23rd February 2009, 11:50 PM
I too had a JJC one, which just stopped working after laying in a drawer for a couple of months, so I went looking for a replacement when I got my E-3. I discovered that Hahnel make a cable release for the E-system. It's not widely available but it is worth the money.

The part number is HRO-280, and it comes with adapters to fit any E-system camera (E1/E3, E4x0/5x0, E30).

I ordered mine from Jessops, and it arrived within two weeks (it's a special order item which comes directly from Hahnel, you won't find it in any of their stores). Cost was about £25.

flying haggis
24th February 2009, 05:00 AM
having read this thread, if anybody wants an Olympus remote there is one on here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Olympus-RM-CB1-Remote-Control-Cable_W0QQitemZ280315019621QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_P hotography_DigitalCamAccess_RL?hash=item2803150196 21&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

hope it helps someone

and just for stephenL

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLYMPUS-Flash-Sync-Cap-and-Remote-Control-Cap-NEW_W0QQitemZ350159222988QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pho tography_DigitalCamAccess_RL?hash=item350159222988&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

StephenL
24th February 2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks for that! Not yet managed to lose it, but .....

and just for stephenL

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLYMPUS-Flash-Sync-Cap-and-Remote-Control-Cap-NEW_W0QQitemZ350159222988QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pho tography_DigitalCamAccess_RL?hash=item350159222988&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318