PDA

View Full Version : High Res shot and studio flash - not working on EM1 Mk2

super_claret
16th February 2017, 08:01 AM
I'm having problems triggering studio flash in high res mode on the EM1 Mk2. I have no issues at all using an EM5 Mk2. I also have no issues triggering the lights in single shot mode (with the EM1 mk2)

My settings are 30sec delay and 2 sec charge time.

Anyone else having this issue or able to help please?

Thanks in advance

super_claret
16th February 2017, 08:04 AM
I posted this on DP Review and someone else responded and is having the same problem. It would be appreciated if any EM1 Mk2 owners out there could try any flash, hot shoe mounted or studio lights, in high res mode and report back

Thanks again.

andym
16th February 2017, 08:52 AM
I noticed the other day that flash doesn't work with the the electronic shutter.
I've not played with the high res mode as yet but assume it uses the electronic shutter.
May be I have a setting wrong for flash but I'm not a great flash user.

super_claret
16th February 2017, 09:03 AM
I noticed the other day that flash doesn't work with the the electronic shutter.
I've not played with the high res mode as yet but assume it uses the electronic shutter.
May be I have a setting wrong for flash but I'm not a great flash user.

I'm a bit confused with the EM1 Mk2 menu, as the anti shock option has been removed. Now only have the silent shooting option, which is known to disable flash.

I feel like packing the camera up and sending it back to be honest. If this is a bug, I'm flabbergasted that a flagship model, aimed at professionals, has been released without testing. After all, the high res mode is advertised as being perfect for product photography in the studio!

pault
16th February 2017, 09:53 AM
Have you looked "gear"-"D1"-"Settings" you might be able to turn "anti0shock" on

super_claret
16th February 2017, 10:06 AM
Have you looked "gear"-"D1"-"Settings" you might be able to turn "anti0shock" on

Thanks Paul, only had the camera for a few days and been working through the manual and hadn't realised that certain options can be hidden.

Is the anti shock option using the electronic shutter?
I know that the silent mode uses electronic shutter and cannot be used with flash.

pault
16th February 2017, 10:08 AM
As I know Anti-shock uses mechanical shutter

super_claret
16th February 2017, 10:10 AM
That would explain why I can use flash with anti shock shutter.

Beagletorque
16th February 2017, 10:22 AM
You can set flash for use with silent shutter, but it is set to off by default. Just enable it in the menu.

super_claret
16th February 2017, 10:30 AM
Thanks, for a minute wondered if that might have solved the flash not working in high res mode but alas, it still won't fire.

Graham_of_Rainham
16th February 2017, 10:33 AM
Have you checked:

"Camera settings limitations: shutter speed not longer than 8 sec, aperture not narrower than F8, ISO not higher than 1600 and flash sync not faster than 1/50sec (previously in E-M5 Mark II or PEN-F, flash sync limit was 1/20sec)"

super_claret
16th February 2017, 10:37 AM
Thanks Graham but everything is set correctly (as far as I know). Shutter speed 1/50th (have tried with 1/20th too), ISO 200 and f5.6. The high res shot actually completes, but it won't trigger the flash. I've even tried the little Olympus flash on the hot shoe and it won't fire. Flash fires fine in single shot mode.

This really has me beat.

Beagletorque
16th February 2017, 10:43 AM
Does the flash fire in high speed silent mode?

super_claret
16th February 2017, 10:46 AM
Does the flash fire in high speed silent mode?

Just checked that and no it doesn't fire the flash in high speed silent.

What significance would that have?

Beagletorque
16th February 2017, 10:48 AM
Is there a setting for flash in both H and L modes? Don't have the camera with me so I can't check.

super_claret
16th February 2017, 10:56 AM
Is there a setting for flash in both H and L modes? Don't have the camera with me so I can't check.

If there is, I can't find them. May I ask what significance this has with the High Res shot?

andym
16th February 2017, 10:57 AM
You can set flash for use with silent shutter, but it is set to off by default. Just enable it in the menu.

Out of interest where is this. Can't find it. :o:o:o

Beagletorque
16th February 2017, 11:00 AM
Menu cog c1

Beagletorque
16th February 2017, 11:00 AM
I assume hires shot uses high speed shutter settings?

super_claret
16th February 2017, 11:05 AM
I assume hires shot uses high speed shutter settings?

High Res Shot has a setting of its own. Camera Menu 2 > High Res Shot. When selected it displays an offset grid indicating sensor shift (I presume). I cannot change the shutter/drive modes.

There is no option to enable flash in high speed silent.

andym
16th February 2017, 11:06 AM
Menu cog c1

Probably just me but I still can't find any stting to allow single frame electronic shutter with flash.

G Release/j/Image Stabilizer
N Rls Priority S Off    114
Rls Priority C On   
jL Settings
j/♦j
Max fps 10fps   
Frame Count
Limiter Off   
♥j
Max fps 18fps   
Frame Count
Limiter Off   
Max fps 18fps   
Pre-shutter
Frames 8 shots   
Frame Count
Limiter On, 25 shots   
jH Settings
j/♦j
Max fps 15fps   
Frame Count
Limiter Off   
♥j
Max fps 60fps   
Frame Count
Limiter Off   
Max fps 60fps   
Pre-shutter
Frames 14 shots   
Frame Count
Limiter On, 25 shots   
O K Image Stabilizer S-IS AUTO    53, 114
j Image Stabilization Fps Priority  
Half Way Rls With IS On  114

super_claret
16th February 2017, 11:07 AM
Out of interest where is this. Can't find it. :o:o:o

On the Mk2 it's Camera 2 > Anti Shock/Silent > Silent Mode Settings > Flash Mode

Beagletorque
16th February 2017, 11:10 AM
Is flash enabled in the SCP? Just checking!

andym
16th February 2017, 11:11 AM
On the Mk2 it's Camera 2 > Anti Shock/Silent > Silent Mode Settings > Flash Mode

Got it *chr*chr*chr

super_claret
16th February 2017, 11:14 AM
Is flash enabled in the SCP? Just checking!

Sorry but could you tell me where that setting might be please. I've enabled flash in the silent shot mode, but that doesn't help with high res shot.

The camera fires flash in single shot.

Beagletorque
16th February 2017, 11:25 AM
Will check mine lunchtime and let you know.

Beagletorque
16th February 2017, 11:26 AM
How are you firing the flash?

super_claret
16th February 2017, 11:29 AM
How are you firing the flash?

I'm using a hot shoe mounted radio trigger. I've also tried the small flash gun that came with the camera FL-LM3 hot shoe mounted and another flash but nothing fires. Just to confirm that everything triggers correctly in single shot.

I've also not had any problems using the EM5 Mk2 in high res mode, the flash fires perfectly.

wornish
16th February 2017, 12:02 PM
Just tried the hot shoe mounted Oly flash supplied with the camera and that works fine in High Res Mode. Get 8 flashes. You need to set the delay for flash recharge to zero when using the Oly flash.

super_claret
16th February 2017, 12:04 PM
Just got off the phone to Olympus and problem solved. I had to re-set my camera, then go and enable flash in silent mode Camera 2 > Anti Shock/Silent > Silent Mode Settings > Flash Mode > Allow.

Then turn on High Res Shot and set the flash recharge to 4 secs ( for this test I used the FL-LM3 which needs a 4 sec recharge time..).

Then go into Super Control Panel and select high res shot in the drive mode.

Also in SCP, go to flash setting and enable FULL flash.

Maybe my camera needed a reset but glad it's working now.

Big thank you to David at Olympus UK.

Beagletorque
16th February 2017, 12:55 PM
Glad you're sorted.

super_claret
16th February 2017, 01:04 PM
Typical, the camera will still not trigger the studio flash in high res mode. The radio trigger is a single pin, hot shoe mounted trigger and I'm told by Olympus that it won't work, as it's the back four pins that are used to trigger the flash....even though it will trigger the flashes in single shot mode !!!!

Back to square one now and Olympus can't help!

Beagletorque
16th February 2017, 01:15 PM
Peanut slave fired from the mini flash?

DerekW
16th February 2017, 01:23 PM
A reset resolved the orientation issue on my camera - fortunately I had used the Olympus Viewer 3 to save the camera settings before the Reset took place. I was then able to reload my settings to the camera without any issues.

super_claret
16th February 2017, 01:33 PM
Peanut slave fired from the mini flash?

I'm going to look into this further when I get chance. Still can't believe that the camera will fire the flash in single shot mode but not in high res mode!
Also, my studio setup worked fine with the EM5 Mk2 in both single shot and high res mode....really baffling!

super_claret
17th February 2017, 10:58 AM
I've since tried this with a PC sync cable plugged into the camera via PC socket and directly connected to studio light. Again, it fires without issue in single shot mode but in high res mode, nothing. I've checked that silent shot flash is allowed!

This has got to be a bug but Olympus don't appear to want to acknowledge this.

Olympus are aiming this camera at studio product photography but it won't fire studio lights (except by mounting the FL-LM3 and triggering the studio lights optically)

Graham_of_Rainham
17th February 2017, 01:14 PM
...Olympus are aiming this camera at studio product photography but it won't fire studio lights (except by mounting the FL-LM3 and triggering the studio lights optically)

I have posed this issue to Robin Wong and so far he has confirmed that it works with the new FL guns. I'm waiting for a reply to the specific question on the old FL-36/50s and single contact triggers.

super_claret
17th February 2017, 01:20 PM
I have posed this issue to Robin Wong and so far he has confirmed that it works with the new FL guns. I'm waiting for a reply to the specific question on the old FL-36/50s and single contact triggers.

How bizarre though that it works perfectly with the EM5 Mk2! It just doesn't make any sense that they would change the way the high res shot triggers flash.

Graham_of_Rainham
17th February 2017, 01:28 PM
How bizarre though that it works perfectly with the EM5 Mk2! It just doesn't make any sense that they would change the way the high res shot triggers flash.

I agree. I shall be disappointed if it will not fire my FL-50Rs & FL-36R.

I also thought the PC connector would be the one thing that would work to provide backwards compatibility. But electronic shutters are so different to physical ones that I can understand why it does not work.

Hopefully Olympus will be able to correct this.

c12402
18th February 2017, 10:57 PM
Appparently next Week we may have a firmware upgrade to em11.2

Let's see if this issue is addressed

kbouk
20th February 2017, 03:14 PM
I hope so because my old FL36 has problems with compatible Canon hot shoe cord espessially on silent mode.

super_claret
22nd February 2017, 12:24 PM
Appparently next Week we may have a firmware upgrade to em11.2

Let's see if this issue is addressed

I wouldn't hold your breath as Olympus UK claim there isn't a problem!

super_claret
22nd February 2017, 01:00 PM
Just spoken again to Olympus UK and they have said...

"the reason the flash won't fire is because high res shot is an Olympus specific mode and can only be used with Olympus flash"

I asked the question "why does the EM5 Mk2 fire studio flash with a radio trigger"? The response I got was "the EM5 Mk2 is a completely different camera to the EM1 Mk2"

Not having much luck with this one I'm afraid

Graham_of_Rainham
22nd February 2017, 01:40 PM
I'm still waiting on an answer as to if the old FL-36R and 50R will work, or has it got to be a new style gun?

super_claret
22nd February 2017, 01:59 PM
I'm still waiting on an answer as to if the old FL-36R and 50R will work, or has it got to be a new style gun?

Good luck with that Graham. Do you own the Mk2 or are you asking the question with a view to purchasing one?

Graham_of_Rainham
22nd February 2017, 05:45 PM
Good luck with that Graham. Do you own the Mk2 or are you asking the question with a view to purchasing one?

The latter. I've never been an early adopter of new models and I have more cameras than I can use already :cool:

The answer to the studio flash seems to be very simple. Use the flash supplied and optical slave triggers.

super_claret
22nd February 2017, 06:01 PM
The latter. I've never been an early adopter of new models and I have more cameras than I can use already :cool:

The answer to the studio flash seems to be very simple. Use the flash supplied and optical slave triggers.

Although that is a simple solution, unfortunately, the LM3 doesn't fire my studio lights unless it's set to full power and that is causing me a problem with light spill. Olympus UK mentioned there was a way of turning off the hot shoe mounted flash via the RC mode on the camera and it should still trigger my lights, but this doesn't work.

ThomD
24th February 2017, 02:44 PM
I just tested this with the Metz 52 and it works as hoped. I noticed that the camera waits until the flash reports ready before the camera fires again. That may be why it needs a Olympus compatible flash.

super_claret
24th February 2017, 02:56 PM
I just tested this with the Metz 52 and it works as hoped. I noticed that the camera waits until the flash reports ready before the camera fires again. That may be why it needs a Olympus compatible flash.

Is that mounted on the hot shoe?

ThomD
25th February 2017, 12:21 PM
Is that mounted on the hot shoe?

Hot show mounted. The only radio trigger that I think would have any hope of working would be the Air Commander f(with their flash) rom Nissin. Since it supports HSS and TTL, it is the most Olympus compatible radio trigger on the market.

c12402
25th February 2017, 01:54 PM
I can confirm that hig-res is compatible with Metz 52-1 flash. I flashes 8 times and generate the 50MB jpgs.

Graham_of_Rainham
25th February 2017, 02:02 PM
I can confirm that hig-res is compatible with Metz 52-1 flash. I flashes 8 times and generate the 50MB jpgs.

That's a result. Any chance we can see the image?

c12402
25th February 2017, 11:51 PM
I've made a just quick sample, not a real well exposed picture...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/586/33116307255_3746756557_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/SsnJoK)_2260200 (https://flic.kr/p/SsnJoK) by Juan Guerrero (https://www.flickr.com/photos/familia_guerrero/), en Flickr

c12402
26th February 2017, 10:07 AM
As far as I understand, single pin hotshoes does not work, the flash need to provide a signal to the camera that it's ready.

Bryonia30
26th February 2017, 03:44 PM
I was reading here that there is a bug in the flash: https://unlockingolympus.com/2017/02/e-m1-mkii-bug-report/

Perhaps this site might help you?

Michael Sewell
15th March 2017, 06:01 PM
The Elinchrom HS transmitter works fine with the mkII in HiRes mode.
As it also communicates with the Skyport plus receivers, you can fire any head, not just Elinchrom.

My account of using the HS transmitter can be found here (http://www.sewellshouse.co.uk/blog/2017/03/olympus-e-m1-mkii-hires-images-with-studio-flash/).

There's alo a link to download the 80Mp raw file, and the 50Mp in camera converted jpeg.
You can also view the 80Mp jpeg that was converted from the raw.

c12402
15th March 2017, 10:50 PM
Hi Michael,

I had a look at your site blog and it's really interesting and enlightning. Thanks!

Michael Sewell
15th March 2017, 11:10 PM
Hi Michael,

I had a look at your site blog and it's really interesting and enlightning. Thanks!

Thank you for saying so.

PeterBirder
6th May 2017, 08:01 PM
According to 4/3 Rumours the firmwware update due out on Monday will reportedly fix this problem.

"The problem that flash devices from other vendors emit no flash during high-resolution exposures / focus stacking / focus stacking has been fixed."

Regards.*chr

Michael Sewell
6th May 2017, 09:36 PM
According to 4/3 Rumours the firmwware update due out on Monday will reportedly fix this problem.

"The problem that flash devices from other vendors emit no flash during high-resolution exposures / focus stacking / focus stacking has been fixed."

Regards.*chr

Yes. They've stopped the central pin on the hotshoe, along with the Pro Compur socket, from becoming disabled.
That was the only issue.

But did you notice the mention of compatibility with Profoto?
Now that could be interesting.

Ross the fiddler
8th May 2017, 06:56 AM
All is fixed in the latest firmware update today. *yes
https://www.olympus.com.au/Learn-Explore/Blog/User-1/May-2017/Latest-Firmware-Upgrades

Michael Sewell
8th May 2017, 12:51 PM
All is fixed in the latest firmware update today. *yes
https://www.olympus.com.au/Learn-Explore/Blog/User-1/May-2017/Latest-Firmware-Upgrades

Hi Ross, Good to see you here

Ross the fiddler
8th May 2017, 02:25 PM
Hi Ross, Good to see you here

Thanks. I haven't been doing much with my camera this year & have spent more than I could have on the E-M1Mk II on battery powered tools for the garden & workshop etc instead & so I've been a little quiet here as a result (& on other forums). I've been watching price reductions happening for the E-M1Mk II & maybe by Christmas that might be a possibility. I'll have to sell more violins though. ;)

I should add, it's nice to see you here on this great forum too. :)

tuootal
18th September 2018, 09:33 AM
Just checking, was this problem corrected in such way that you can use non-olympus flash transmitters in HR-mode? Obviously profoto and elinchrome should work, but I am interested in younguy and other cheap center-pin transmitters.

I am in planning to do some repro-photography of some museum stuff and plan to use EM-M1 mk II in HR-mode. I also have 3 FL-50R (and FS-SRF11 & FS-STF22, but range is too limited) but I am sceptical whether those will get optical rc-command from flash in camera as the FL-50R's are located inside softboxes. So I think that I should obtain some cheap rf flash transmitters. I have already ordered softboxes, but as time is of essence I might need to order flash transmitters before getting softboxes.

One of challenges is the large size of artwork which is being reproed, they are approx 2-3m wide so with 50mm F2 (old 4/3) I have to get quite far from art.

Any guidance is welcomed,

Tuomas

Michael Sewell
18th September 2018, 07:59 PM
Just checking, was this problem corrected in such way that you can use non-olympus flash transmitters in HR-mode? Obviously profoto and elinchrome should work, but I am interested in younguy and other cheap center-pin transmitters.

I am in planning to do some repro-photography of some museum stuff and plan to use EM-M1 mk II in HR-mode. I also have 3 FL-50R (and FS-SRF11 & FS-STF22, but range is too limited) but I am sceptical whether those will get optical rc-command from flash in camera as the FL-50R's are located inside softboxes. So I think that I should obtain some cheap rf flash transmitters. I have already ordered softboxes, but as time is of essence I might need to order flash transmitters before getting softboxes.

One of challenges is the large size of artwork which is being reproed, they are approx 2-3m wide so with 50mm F2 (old 4/3) I have to get quite far from art.

Any guidance is welcomed,

Tuomas

The issue with the central pin was resolved in the next firmware date, about three months later.

If you can get a hold of a 25mm lens, it would likely better suit your needs.

blu-by-u
19th September 2018, 04:50 AM
High Res Shot has a setting of its own. Camera Menu 2 > High Res Shot. When selected it displays an offset grid indicating sensor shift (I presume). I cannot change the shutter/drive modes.

There is no option to enable flash in high speed silent.

I don't think it's possible to use flash in Hi Res mode. The sensor camera takes a series of shots with the sensor in different positions and is combined into a single image. If Flash is to work, it will have to have to flash with each of the shots.

Ross the fiddler
19th September 2018, 05:13 AM
I don't think it's possible to use flash in Hi Res mode. The sensor camera takes a series of shots with the sensor in different positions and is combined into a single image. If Flash is to work, it will have to have to flash with each of the shots.

I know there was a delay time for flash charging in Focus Stacking & so thought there is no reason for it not being possible in High Res too, so I went looking & in Shooting Menu 2 there is the settings for High Res Shot which does allow for flash charge time (up to 30 secs) & also post shutter delay.

*chr

blu-by-u
19th September 2018, 05:24 AM
I know there was a delay time for flash charging in Focus Stacking & so thought there is no reason for it not being possible in High Res too, so I went looking & in Shooting Menu 2 there is the settings for High Res Shot which does allow for flash charge time (up to 30 secs) & also post shutter delay.

*chr

Imagine what artistic images we can do with that :D The HiRes is suppose to combine 5 sensor shift to create this, right?

Michael Sewell
19th September 2018, 05:49 AM

No issue now, although there was initially, which was sorted with a firmware update.

https://www.sewellshouse.co.uk/blog/2017/03/olympus-e-m1-mkii-hires-images-with-studio-flash/

Ross the fiddler
19th September 2018, 05:49 AM
Imagine what artistic images we can do with that :D The HiRes is suppose to combine 5 sensor shift to create this, right?

It's actually 8 positions, so seven delays for the flash to charge & flash. :rolleyes: ;)

*chr

blu-by-u
19th September 2018, 06:17 AM
It's actually 8 positions, so seven delays for the flash to charge & flash. :rolleyes: ;)

*chr

Will definitely have a go with this knowledge. 8 exposures :rolleyes:

Thanks

tuootal
19th September 2018, 06:21 AM
Great many thanks for your comments.

Actually I have tried HR-mode with flash (2x Fl-50R) and it works nicely. Needed some fiddling around timings in menus, but worked. Problem was that Oly RC-stuff uses onboard flash to control FL-50R's so I suspect that it wont work with flash enclosed in softbox.

I have also 35mm F3.5 macro, which could be useful. I am just trying to get best possible results from this as the museum stuff is challenging to organize. Even getting originals out of their storage is challenge and setting everything up. I guess that this will be one-off-effort which will not be repeated.

Is there some kind of receiver for Godox flash transmitters (X1T-O TTL, Xpro-O TTL) which could be used with FL-50R? And does somebody know that they work with HR-mode?

Tuomas

tuootal
25th September 2018, 12:33 PM
I think that I have solved this problem. I ran into this product

See godox site for S_type_Speedlite_Bracket

Which allows using bowens-mount softboxes with FL-50R. Cannot get confirmation whether it fits, but it looks promising. Actually I ordered 2 combos of S-type bracket and foldable 60x60 softboxes (product is this, see ebay fo DE-Godox-60x60cm-Faltbar-Softbox-Bowens-Blitz-Schirmhalter-fur-Aufsteckblitz).

Idea is to allow end of FL-50R flash to stick outside of softbox. This then make it possible to use Olympus RC-control.

Hope this works & I will keep you posted.

Tuomas
ps : yes... I would have posted direct links but ... forum sw says that I must have postcount greater than 6. Which I do not have.

tuootal
22nd October 2018, 11:29 AM
Greetings,

Idea I presented in previous message was excellent in writing, but in practice it did not work. Getting FL-50R's reliably working with softboxes in large room using oly RC-signalling proved to be challenge. I got roughly 1/2 of shots working and with Hires-mode you need to have 8 good shots in row. Sadly, fail.

I then bite the bullet and purchased 2x cheapo Godox SK300 II's with matching X-pro-o-controller. This works like a charm. Even with Hires-mode.

Tuomas

ps : I am just a bit slightly disappointed as I have been oly user since E-300 (and before that from C-400, E-100, E-10, E-20, E-3, E-5, E-400, E-500..) and owning almost every possible gear Oly has sold. This is first non-oly gear in decade. But it works and that is only thing in real life which has meaning.