PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Monitor help

Phill D
12th February 2017, 03:05 PM
I've noticed recently that the images on my main ASUS monitor are quite a bit darker and less vibrant than the same images on my Samsung tablet or my daughters laptop. That makes me feel it's about time I invested in a monitor calibration device which is where my question comes. Can anyone recommend a suitable device that I can use to check all three devices and sort out this dark monitor?

MJ224
12th February 2017, 05:27 PM
I've noticed recently that the images on my main ASUS monitor are quite a bit darker and less vibrant than the same images on my Samsung tablet or my daughters laptop. That makes me feel it's about time I invested in a monitor calibration device which is where my question comes. Can anyone recommend a suitable device that I can use to check all three devices and sort out this dark monitor?

Hi Phil, I have an Asus laptop and suffered from the same. What I found was that Brightness setting was the problem. I have upped it a bit to about 55 to 60%. The screen is nice and bright now...........

TubaMagna8
12th February 2017, 05:29 PM
I Bought a Spyder 5 Pro from Calumet not long ago, good price, and i was able to calibrate my laptops and desktop monitors, you can use it to calibrate projectors i believe. There are ways with other models to calibrate a tablet, however you can only view the photographs in most cases in the app provided by the calibrator.

Most of my work is either put on my website or facebook page, so i find it good to keep the calibration of the phone and ipad/tablet as close to default as possible to see what the majority see it like if that makes sense?

The Spyder 5 pro also measure the ambient light for desktop situations.

Naughty Nigel
12th February 2017, 09:06 PM
The only problem I have found with monitor calibration is that, in most cases, the brightness is actually reduced.

(If you think about it, any adjustment to colour balance will only be achieved by reducing the output from one or two of the three colour channels. The default setting is usually 100% for all.)

This is particularly noticeable on my laptop, where brightness is limited in the interests of battery life, although the colour balance is improved over default.

Ian
12th February 2017, 09:12 PM
Tablets and phones are invariably set to be over-bright because they are often used in bright ambient light conditions. I would trust your calibrator...

Ian

steverh
12th February 2017, 10:21 PM
Calibrating laptops presents problems because what you see depends very much on the angle at which you view the screen, which cannot be fixed. This is much less of a problem with a separate monitor which is usually viewed at the same angle each time.

I would only trust a correctly calibrated stand alone monitor. I use an x-rite iDisplay Pro calibrator which belongs to my camera club and is available for members to borrow FOC (along with lots of other equipment!)

Phill D
13th February 2017, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the information guys. I've just looked at the Spyder 5 Pro details and you tube videos and it looks pretty easy to use to me so I'll have a good look at it at the Photo Show at the NEC and see what deals I can get. That's a good comment about your camera club Steve don't know why I hadn't thought of that. I'll raise it as a question next time I go to a meeting and see what help is around. Thanks again everyone.

Crazy Dave
13th February 2017, 05:12 PM
Calibrating laptops presents problems because what you see depends very much on the angle at which you view the screen, which cannot be fixed. This is much less of a problem with a separate monitor which is usually viewed at the same angle each time.

I would only trust a correctly calibrated stand alone monitor. I use an x-rite iDisplay Pro calibrator which belongs to my camera club and is available for members to borrow FOC (along with lots of other equipment!)

Great idea Steve, our club is brimming with funds so will suggest we buy a calibration device. Hope you don't mind me asking but what other kit is shared?

David

Bikie John
13th February 2017, 05:18 PM
Nice idea about the club sharing a calibrator, but I wonder if it is, strictly speaking, legal.

When you buy one you get a serial number which enables use of the device on the buyer's computers. For a club to share it out amongst its member might be (or might not be, of course) a violation of the terms of the license.

John

steverh
13th February 2017, 07:20 PM
Nice idea about the club sharing a calibrator, but I wonder if it is, strictly speaking, legal.

When you buy one you get a serial number which enables use of the device on the buyer's computers. For a club to share it out amongst its member might be (or might not be, of course) a violation of the terms of the license.

John

That's a good point. I have no idea. No one has ever brought it up! How on earth could it be enforced?

Other kit we have available for loan includes:

Bowens Esprit 250 Studio Photography Kit - heads, stands, loads of bits and pieces

Various backdrops, stands and crossbar

Continuous lighting kit

Wacom Intuos 3 Graphics Tablet

Arctic Butterfly Sensor Cleaner (not much used by those with Olympus cameras :D)

Slide projector (!)

Bikie John
13th February 2017, 08:05 PM
I doubt whether it could be enforced, unless you get "caught".

With the other stuff it is either irrelevant or doesn't matter very much. Even with the Wacom tablet, which needs software to run - the drivers are free and open downloads, and if one person has it nobody else can use it. With the Spyder it is a bit different - you only use it once in a while so it is easy to share it around, and doing that will cost the supplier potential sales.

John

DerekW
13th February 2017, 08:38 PM
I spoke to one of the screen calibration companies about sharing the hardware device around a club and letting each member (who wanted to use the device) to install the software. The company did not have any concerns about doing this, basically only one screen could be calibrated at a time. Their view was they had sold the device and the device was not being used by more than one person at a time.

The upside for the company was that users having found out how useful the device was to them, they would go and buy a device for their use whenever they wanted to use it.

Bikie John
13th February 2017, 08:52 PM
Good to know that Derek, thanks.

John

Crazy Dave
15th February 2017, 03:24 PM

Steve, I have just sent you a Personal Message.

Regards

David