PDA

View Full Version : White balance cap

Ellie
29th January 2009, 01:12 PM
There are various "White balance caps" for sale on ebay.

Do they actually do what they're meant to do?

snaarman
29th January 2009, 01:27 PM
Yes, I think so:

You wear them. They stop you from falling over. They're white.

:)

Pete

Xpres
29th January 2009, 01:32 PM
*laugh*laugh*laugh

MarkVarley
29th January 2009, 01:54 PM
depends how white they are, good ones do.
I always approximate the conditions in camera and tweak, often warming up, in ACR. I also have a lens cloth that doubles as a grey-card for awkward lighting situations.

Graham_of_Rainham
29th January 2009, 03:51 PM
A "friend" once told me that he placed a tissue over the lens and it worked just as well.

It took me 5 minutes to get all the tissue dust of the filter. :(

I now have a bit of a Tesco plastic bag "Every Little Helps" :D

*chr

peak4
29th January 2009, 04:08 PM
Ellie, there's an interesting thread on it here (http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=36269)

The other trick is to use the lid off an old Pringles tube. Unfortunately they're now made of clear rather than translucent plastic so not much use.

Much like the Chinese do Expodisk clones, Lidl supermarkets do Pringles clones, which still use translucent lids ;)

Ellie
29th January 2009, 11:37 PM
*laugh @ Pete.

Reading the other thread is seems to be a fairly accurate description! Looks as if a trip to Lidl might be a good idea ;)

How many people use custom white balance? When, where, and how do you set it? Is it a waste of time and effort, or does it actually improve the end result?

Archphoto
30th January 2009, 12:09 AM
It can help if you make quite a bit of shots under the same light-conditions, because it saves you a lot of time behind the computer to put everthing right again.
For those shots I rather relay on my Minolta Colormeter III.:)

Peter

MarkVarley
30th January 2009, 12:24 AM
*laugh @ Pete.

Reading the other thread is seems to be a fairly accurate description! Looks as if a trip to Lidl might be a good idea ;)

How many people use custom white balance? When, where, and how do you set it? Is it a waste of time and effort, or does it actually improve the end result?

I have a custom white balance for my strobes, 5500K I think.

I also use custom white balance if I'm shooting ambient and have multiple different light sources in the area, hard to see the colour differences with the eyes but they show-up in a photo. My lens cloth is also a grey card and I put it where the subject will be and take a reading from it with the camera.

It's really not important as it's all tweaked in batch in ACR anyway but I'm kinda old-school sometimes.

Lord Minty
7th April 2009, 07:34 PM
Bit of a late reply...

I bought one of the eBay clones ('Menon' IIRC in 58mm) and TBH I haven't found it particularly useful. It could be me misunderstanding how I'm meant to set WB with it, but I got rubbish results anyway.

I'm just glad I didn't buy a real Expodisk...

EH1
7th April 2009, 08:27 PM
They are a bit of a waste of money! If you shoot RAW you can always tweek the WB in post production!

Jonesgj
17th April 2009, 08:19 AM
I use a cap (similar to a pringle lid) I received when I ordered larger photos from Photobox. I have it in my bag and used in conjunction with the one-touch custom white balance (set on the Fn button of my E-520) I find it quite useful.

Sorry for the late reply Ellie.