PDA

View Full Version : Shoplifter dies

timboo
10th February 2017, 06:44 PM
Interesting read on sky news where a shoplifter went on a spree and was tackled by a guard unfortunately the shoplifter had bottles concealed on them which broke and caused the death of the shoplifter.
The security guard was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter.
Obviously full facts not known but it sure does make you wonder!

http://news.sky.com/story/shoplifter-dies-after-tackle-by-security-guard-smashes-hidden-glass-bottles-10762653

Naughty Nigel
10th February 2017, 08:34 PM
Darwinism in action? :rolleyes:

I find it sad that the security officer should now have the stress of being arrested and potentially charged with manslaughter when he could not have reasonably known that the shoplifter had concealed glass bottles about his person.

timboo
10th February 2017, 10:58 PM
Darwinism in action? :rolleyes:

I find it sad that the security officer should now have the stress of being arrested and potentially charged with manslaughter when he could not have reasonably known that the shoplifter had concealed glass bottles about his person.

Exactly. On face value seems disproportionate to arrest based on the circumstances. Have to argue the grounds for arrest knowing the available info so far.

a) Unable to ascertain name

b) Unable to obtain address

(c) to prevent the person in question-
(i) causing physical injury to himself or any other person;
(ii) suffering physical injury;
(iii) causing loss of or damage to property;
(iv) committing an offence against public decency (subject to subsection (6)); or
(v) causing an unlawful obstruction of the highway;
(d) to protect a child or other vulnerable person from the person in question;
(e) to allow the prompt and effective investigation of the offence or of the conduct of the person in question;
(f) to prevent any prosecution for the offence from being hindered by the disappearance of the person in question.
(6) Subsection (5)(c)(iv) applies only where members of the public going about their normal business cannot reasonably be expected to avoid the person in question.

None of the above really applies however I would hedge a bet (e) was used and even then not convinced lawful arrest. A good solicitor should pounce on that. Especially as UK trying to reduce numbers in police custody it simply doesnt fit the mould.

Rant over apologies so frustrating the way we deal with things in the uk sometimes.
I just hope people at the scene have come forward or viewed some footage initially which contradicts proportionality by the security person prior arrest, seems an easy option to arrest here.

Jim Ford
11th February 2017, 03:06 AM
I have little sympathy for the felon, but as the actions of the security guard caused his death - albeit unintentionally - I think it's pretty automatic that he be charged.

Jim

Harold Gough
11th February 2017, 07:56 AM
One thieving scumbag less in the community.

Harold

DerekW
11th February 2017, 08:50 AM
Reminded me of

When a felon's not engaged in his employment
Or maturing his felonious little plan
His capacity for innocent enjoyment
Is just as great as any honest man
Our feelings we with difficulty smother
When constabulary duties to be done
Taking one consideration with another
A policeman's lot is not a happy one
When constabulary duties to be done, to be done
When the enterprising burglar's not a-burgling
When the cutthroat isn't occupied in crime
He loves to hear the little brook a-gurgling
And listen to the merry village chime
When the coster's finished jumping on his mother
When the drunkard shows no sign of where the drink went
He nobly bids all alchohol farewell
When the juvenile delinquent to the clink went
He hung his mother's picture in his cell
When the cardshark's finished wiping out his brother
He buys a rattle for his little son

timboo
11th February 2017, 09:12 AM
Interesting Derek Had to read it twice mind.

I will keep an eye out for updates on it. Hope the guard didnt over step the mark force wise at any point.

Wally
11th February 2017, 11:37 AM
A citizen's arrest gone wrong makes room for one more in HMG's 5* hotel. Just hope it isn't taken up by the arresting citizen.

Naughty Nigel
11th February 2017, 08:00 PM
There is no information to say whether the felon fell onto the stolen glass bottles whilst trying to get away, (and whether alcohol or drugs played any part in this), or whether the actions of the security guard resulted in him falling and breaking the glass that caused his death.

But then if the felon hadn't hidden numerous bottles of stolen alcohol around his body he would still be alive.

Harold Gough
12th February 2017, 04:19 PM
But then if the felon hadn't hidden numerous bottles of stolen alcohol around his body he would still be alive.

On the positive side, risk of an infected wound was low.

Harold

pandora
13th February 2017, 09:16 PM
Reminded me of

When a felon's not engaged in his employment
Or maturing his felonious little plan ...............

I'm a lifelong fan of G&S - I have both a CD and DVD of the P of P.

In 1990 when we were in London it was a big disappointment to learn that due to a fire at the Savoy, the Doyly Carte Opera Company was no longer producing.
I believe it has since been rebuilt. So instead we bought tickets to see Les "Miz" at the Palace, which was sensational.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Palace.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/91885)