PDA

View Full Version : Another E-M1 Mark II+ 12-100 and grip...

mm500
8th February 2017, 08:13 PM
Not mine obviously but it's on Ebay....

What's happening? Is everyone regretting spending the money or something...?

Mal.

Tempting eh?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/olympus-omd-em1-mark-ii-/182448842063?hash=item2a7acc654f:g:VCsAAOSwLEtYm20 n

Mrs T
8th February 2017, 08:48 PM
It does seems odd, and the pictures look somewhat cluttered!

steverh
8th February 2017, 09:00 PM
Grey import possibly?

pdk42
8th February 2017, 09:43 PM
Could be legit, but...

- Really scruffy pics with debris around the gear
- One-liner description riddled with spelling and grammar errors
- Pay on collection only

It's not even a particularly good price. Sounds fishy IMHO.

Greytop
9th February 2017, 12:22 AM
I wouldn't go anywhere near it. Very dubious.

AMc
9th February 2017, 11:06 AM
Might be legit - someone who needs the money in a hurry and collection is at least less likely to be a rip off.
I would still turn up with a couple of burly mates along with my 2600 in cash though!

Kami
9th February 2017, 11:13 AM
30-odd transactions, and only ONE a sale, for 300 - and for which the vendor was given Negative feedback ? No way would I consider buying off this seller !

And has the kit been cared for appropriately ? Doesn't look like it, given the junk lying around and the dust on the kit and scrapes on the boxes after such a short time. I'd advise at least sending a private message to ask for the shutter count before even considering forking out that amount of money.

Kami
9th February 2017, 11:17 AM
Urgh, the feedback they leave for others doesn't seem too cooperative when things go wrong, either.

joglos
9th February 2017, 11:46 AM
MMM Makes you wonder if someone has got it on interest free credit then selling and doing a bunk

benvendetta
9th February 2017, 12:55 PM
Mmmmm, just down the road from me :rolleyes:

mack100
9th February 2017, 02:20 PM
30-odd transactions, and only ONE a sale, for 300 - and for which the vendor was given Negative feedback ? No way would I consider buying off this seller !

And has the kit been cared for appropriately ? Doesn't look like it, given the junk lying around and the dust on the kit and scrapes on the boxes after such a short time. I'd advise at least sending a private message to ask for the shutter count before even considering forking out that amount of money.

And possibly the body number too.

Graham_of_Rainham
9th February 2017, 02:30 PM
Mmmmm, just down the road from me :rolleyes:

Cash on Collection and take a few very big "mates" with you... :D

timboo
9th February 2017, 02:57 PM
Think I spotted what might be an Aldi job application it talks about the benefits of Aldi and as they don't reward loyalty can't see what else it could be.
Not that there is anything wrong with Aldi.

Re price well over priced as Aperture advertised/sold 1 for 1450 recently with no lens.
That would leave spare cash to buy the lens brand new and have an extra 50 for the sky rocket.

Based on the price alone don't actually see why I looked further into the listing looking at pics. Ah well can't be bothered deleting it now. Plus it's good banter.

mm500
9th February 2017, 03:08 PM
On the face of it: new prices:

Camera, 1850
Lens, 1050
Grip, 200

Sounds like about 3100 new so he's taking a bath on 500 for owning something for a week.

If he'd take 2 grand I'd think about making the long drive....

Mal.

timboo
9th February 2017, 04:09 PM
On the face of it: new prices:

Camera, 1850
Lens, 1050
Grip, 200

Sounds like about 3100 new so he's taking a bath on 500 for owning something for a week.

Mal.

If you are selling a camera like this as a photographer some thought would go into the backdrop and composition of the photo. it just doesn't represent a passionate photographer. Maybe someone thought about taking up photography and changed their mind but as it stands quite rightly raises suspicion based on the available information rather than judgement.

mack100
9th February 2017, 04:14 PM
I bet the original receipts would be "lost" as well.

timboo
9th February 2017, 05:07 PM
I bet the original receipts would be "lost" as well.

The dog ate it *burger

mack100
9th February 2017, 05:10 PM
The dog ate it *burger
He also ate my sons homework, several times in fact.

lostp
9th February 2017, 05:45 PM
It does appear suspicious but would you invite people to your house (so they know your address) to collect if you were dodgy? Or maybe not a very bright chap, who knows.

pdk42
9th February 2017, 06:39 PM
Many years ago, I pushed the button on an eBay "Buy It Now" for a mint, sealed-box Canon 5dii +24-105 at a good price. The listing was marked "collection" and since it wasn't too far from where I was living at the time it was convenient for me too.

After the eBay sale closed, the seller contacted me and said that he wanted me to pay cash when I collected. It was a pretty big slug of money (in excess of 2k) so I was not comfortable with it at all. I did some more digging and discovered that the address was in a very dodgy part of town (in Luton) so I decided to ask that he send me the receipt for the camera's original purchase (it was after all still sealed in its box). The seller gave me some story of it being a gift from a relative who worked for Canon UK so he didn't have a receipt.

Based on this, I was thinking "stolen gear" so I said that I had changed my mind because I wasn't happy with the transaction. At this point he got very abusive and threatening and it all turned very unpleasant. To avoid any fall out, I agreed to pay him about 30 to cover his eBay fees which calmed things down. It was money well spent in my view given my original stupidity to buy it in the first place.

I learned my lesson - if it smells fishy, then it probably is!

Greytop
9th February 2017, 06:55 PM
My intuition says dubious source with the E-M1 MkII, 12-100 and grip.

I may be wrong but I wouldn't go near it. Have a careful look at the ebayer's history too.

wanderer
9th February 2017, 09:56 PM
I notice the body box is the kit with the 12-40 but no other mention of this lens.
The body as shown also has one PD anchor link but no other. The whole is covered with stoor from some source which would not be in the packaging.
As said previously a very cluttered desk and a dirty computer screen.
I don't think its grey, I reckon its closer to red hot.
Oh.... I've lost me barge pole again.

dcbrookes
9th February 2017, 10:29 PM
I recently bought a new 7-14 Pro through Ebay (from a bricks and mortar dealer). When I was looking I found a listing for a used lens being sold by a professional photographer - I checked his website, and his work looked OK. However, the pictures of the 7-14 he had posted on Ebay were absolutely appalling and gave no indication of the state of the lens - underexposed and taken from a couple of yards away. I just wonder how a professional hoping to sell something for over 700 can assume that this was acceptable. When I sell even cheap household items I still photograph them on a neutral background using a couple of studio flashes with lightboxes - and I am not a professional, just an OAP with standards!

AMc
10th February 2017, 10:26 AM
To be fair - sometimes bad photos make for a bargain :).
A few years ago I was looking for 3 folding bikes - hand made in London and well engineered, they're very expensive new (900 or more) and hold their value (500 or so used even for 10yr old ones). They're also frequently stolen :(!
I was searching fleabay &gumtree daily, checking serial numbers against stolen registers etc.
I came across a 1 year old "white" 3 speed one - would have cost just over 1K new.
The photos made the bike look yellow, they were pretty dark and taken with a camera phone. It hadn't been cleaned for the photos and the listing was very brief - cash on collection only. Seller had very low feedback over a long membership..
The bike turned out to be mechanically perfect, just dirty in the pictures. The seller worked in the trade so it was discounted to him - he'd ridden it to work every day for a year, received his new one and put it up for sale. Mine came in the box from his new one. I went for it on the basis that I'm quite a big bloke ;), was meeting him in a public place in the day - I was prepared to walk away if it were dodgy in any way and accept a "non paying bidder" mark against my eBay if necessary. I wouldn't have gone to some dubious part of town after dark though :)

I bought the other two bikes from a lovely lady who was clearing her house prior to a move. Her partner had been a cyclist and a sailor and the bikes had been on the boat. Again poor pictures taken in a garage at night with a phone and collection only from a remote place in Lincolnshire meant they went for substantially less than if they'd been photographed properly and boxed for shipping.
I bid on one and bought the other for the same price a couple of weeks later. She insisted on giving me a load of spares and two bags which if she'd listed them with postage were worth 50-60 each.

Fleabay is IMHO full of dodgy deals, broken and stolen goods etc. but there are still bargains to be had once in a while - caveat emptor!

Naughty Nigel
10th February 2017, 10:47 AM

Mal.

I would take a pair of asbestos gloves with you. *yes

Naughty Nigel
10th February 2017, 10:59 AM
............ I checked his website, and his work looked OK. However, the pictures of the 7-14 he had posted on Ebay were absolutely appalling and gave no indication of the state of the lens - underexposed and taken from a couple of yards away. I just wonder how a professional hoping to sell something for over 700 can assume that this was acceptable. When I sell even cheap household items I still photograph them on a neutral background using a couple of studio flashes with lightboxes - and I am not a professional, just an OAP with standards!

Yes. I am often intrigued by the eBay descriptions where a seller describes a camera that he/she "has owned from new, and taken good care of", yet they are unable to take a half decent photograph of the camera. :confused:

I think bikes and the like are different because you wouldn't necessarily expect a cyclist to be a good photographer.

If in doubt I always take a look at the 'See Other Items' link to see what else the seller is trying to shift. All too often it seems they have raided a local WI jumble sale and are trying to make a profit where the Womens Institute failed. :rolleyes:

wanderer
11th February 2017, 04:11 PM
I think bikes and the like are different because you wouldn't necessarily expect a cyclist to be a good photographer.

Well... I cycled seriously (touring & long distance) for 25 years and had a number of my photos published in cycling mags.
In my unspare time I'm a pro photographer.;)
I''l leave it to others to decide whether I'm good.
On the bike I was known as 'the fat b*****d of the mountains' but only downhill.:D

Hemlockwood
12th February 2017, 11:28 AM
Failed to sell. Now relisted at 2700. A rise of 100 on original price.:confused: