PDA

View Full Version : La La Land.

Jim Ford
8th February 2017, 07:36 PM
If you really, really must waste 2 Hrs of your life, don't go to see 'La La Land', but instead, paint a door and watch the paint dry - you'll find it far more entertaining than the film!

By the time we had driven the 20 mins home, my partner commented that she had already forgotten it, which is a measure of just how engaging the film was.

Jim

Naughty Nigel
8th February 2017, 08:27 PM
If you really, really....... paint a door and watch the paint dry - you'll find it far more entertaining than the film!

I will have you know that watching paint dry is fascinating! *yes

I have been watching paint dry for the past forty years, and my father watched paint dry for nearly fifty years before me, and I am still not bored. Indeed, there are some aspects of the process that are still not fully understood by paint chemists after more than a century of commercial paint making.

If you really need a byword for boredom try golf. :D

Jim Ford
8th February 2017, 09:24 PM

Or tennis - stupefyingly tedious! The relief I felt when Andy Murray was knocked out was like that of a particularly satisfying bowel movement!

Jim

Naughty Nigel
8th February 2017, 10:05 PM
Or tennis - stupefyingly tedious! The relief I felt when Andy Murray was knocked out was like that of a particularly satisfying bowel movement!

Jim

I appreciate that sentiment Jim. :D :D :D

Zuiko
8th February 2017, 10:09 PM
I will have you know that watching paint dry is fascinating! *yes

I have been watching paint dry for the past forty years, and my father watched paint dry for nearly fifty years before me, and I am still not bored. Indeed, there are some aspects of the process that are still not fully understood by paint chemists after more than a century of commercial paint making.

Almost anything becomes interesting if you can make money from it! :D

Even banking! :D:D

Naughty Nigel
8th February 2017, 10:18 PM
Almost anything becomes interesting if you can make money from it! :D

Even banking! :D:D

I wouldn't enjoy golf even if I made money from it.

A good walk spoilt in my view. *yes

Zuiko
8th February 2017, 10:27 PM

And Mark Twain agreed with you - allegedly!

For the money top golfers earn I'm sure I could quickly come to like it! :D

Zuiko
8th February 2017, 10:28 PM
BTW I thought La La Land was another name for the House of Commons.....

pandora
8th February 2017, 10:30 PM
I'm in the business of watching paint dry, often it does so all too quickly. For me the last word in boredom is watching cricket - aspecially if we're losing ... *shrug

Naughty Nigel
8th February 2017, 10:37 PM
And Mark Twain agreed with you - allegedly!

For the money top golfers earn I'm sure I could quickly come to like it! :D

I suspect the other golfers would become impatient if you got your tripod and camera out on the 9th tee though John. :D

Zuiko
9th February 2017, 12:18 AM
I suspect the other golfers would become impatient if you got your tripod and camera out on the 9th tee though John. :D

And waited for the light to change! :D

Crazy Dave
9th February 2017, 09:48 AM
Jim, all credit for sitting through to the finish of La La Land. We left after 15 minutes. If I had to find one word to describe it, crass is the first one that comes mind.

David

Naughty Nigel
9th February 2017, 10:28 AM
If you really, really must waste 2 Hrs of your life, don't go to see 'La La Land', but instead, paint a door and watch the paint dry - you'll find it far more entertaining than the film!

By the time we had driven the 20 mins home, my partner commented that she had already forgotten it, which is a measure of just how engaging the film was.

Jim

There again, some people will spend that much time every night of the week catching up with soaps on the idiot's lantern. :(

Wee man
9th February 2017, 10:34 AM
Can I enquire which is the best colour to watch for maximum enjoyment?
Should you watch in artificial light, daylight or darkness to enhance the experience.
Even the title would put me off attending such a film thanks for the warning.

Wee Man

Harold Gough
9th February 2017, 10:38 AM
BTW I thought La La Land was another name for the House of Commons.....

No. It's Trump's manifesto.

Harold

Harold Gough
9th February 2017, 10:44 AM

Have you noticed the similarity between "golfer" and "gopher"? A creature with a life considerably lacking in variety and challenges and based around a hole in the ground.

Harold

Naughty Nigel
9th February 2017, 11:12 AM
Can I enquire which is the best colour to watch for maximum enjoyment?
Should you watch in artificial light, daylight or darkness to enhance the experience.

Wee Man

Well that is an interesting question.

If we are talking alkyds (as in conventional enamels) it is best to view the drying process in natural daylight.

Like most paints the initial drying mechanism is by solvent evaporation, but alkyds actually 'cure' by absorbing atmospheric oxygen. This process is stimulated by adding tiny quantities of certain metal soaps such as lead napthenate, or more recently, zinc or zirconium.

However, alkyds never stop drying. The paint will harden and become dry within about twelve hours, but the process continues slowly throughout the life of the coating, with the result that it gradually becomes harder and more brittle to the point that it eventually cracks and flakes off. Regular repainting slows down this process, prolonging the useful life of the scheme.

However, as side effect of this process is that white and light coloured alkyds will become very yellow or even brown if they are not regularly exposed to light, and ideally, sunlight. This effect is often seen on skirting boards where the paint is covered by carpet, and inside dark cupboards and lockers. . Exposure to sunlight bleaches out the yellowing effect.

This process is not fully understood, but is believed to be due to the formation of oxygen free radicals within the affected coatings.

Excessive use of driers (to speed up the drying process) also accelerates hardening and yellowing, as well as increasing the risk of solvent entrapment.
There is also an interesting effect in some red paints where the dryers are absorbed with time, so the coating is very slow drying. :D

Naughty Nigel
9th February 2017, 02:31 PM

Jim

All of the showbiz luvvies are talking it up darling. *sarc *crap