PDA

View Full Version : Are you feeling cold?

Ross the fiddler
8th February 2017, 11:21 AM
Then why not come down to the lovely warmth downunder. *upsided

3914 :p :D

Actually, I don't know why I am grinning. *shrug *pnc

Anyhow, I think I will be ......*chr ;)

I never thought I'd say it, but I am looking forward to Monday! *yes

BTW, today we have had 33mm of rain so far, but the garden will definitely be dry by the end of the weekend.

steverh
8th February 2017, 01:33 PM
There's warm and there's too warm :eek:

skids
8th February 2017, 06:31 PM
Might get down to -3 degrees C here tonight - prefer that to what you have on the way Ross.

Jim Ford
8th February 2017, 07:05 PM
The temperature here today was around 4 degrees C. If it drops any further I might have to put on a jacket over my 'T' shirt when I go out. It looks like it will climb to 11 degrees next Tuesday, in which case I'll get the sun lounger out and plaster on the sun cream!

Jim

Clockwork Donkey
8th February 2017, 08:17 PM
The temperature here today was around 4 degrees C. If it drops any further I might have to put on a jacket over my 'T' shirt when I go out. It looks like it will climb to 11 degrees next Tuesday, in which case I'll get the sun lounger out and plaster on the sun cream!

Jim
Ah you soft southerners. I had to fight through the crowds today. We were all heading to Cleethorpes beach with our swimming kit. Spent most of the day in the sea cooling off then lay on the beach with an ice cream.

Of course I may be making this up.:D

Jim Ford
8th February 2017, 09:30 PM
Ah you soft southerners. I had to fight through the crowds today. We were all heading to Cleethorpes beach with our swimming kit. Spent most of the day in the sea cooling off then lay on the beach with an ice cream.

Yeah, but we had it tough when we were young!

Mother used to bath us in the pond in the middle of winter, and only let us out when we became trapped under the ice!

Jim

Ross the fiddler
8th February 2017, 09:48 PM
Yeah, but we had it tough when we were young!

Mother used to bath us in the pond in the middle of winter, and only let us out when we became trapped under the ice!

Jim

*laugh Tell me Jim. Are you tall to match your stories too? :p :D

*chr

Jim Ford
8th February 2017, 09:52 PM
*laugh Tell me Jim. Are you tall to match your stories too? :p :D

*chr

Funny you should mention - I'm 6ft 4 1/2 inches tall!

Jim

Naughty Nigel
8th February 2017, 10:33 PM

Of course I may be making this up.:D

Ahh, bunch of soft southerners down in Lincolnshire.

We break up the ice on the beach at Whitley Bay to go for a swim. And that's in the summer! ;)

Some of the softer northerners go to Seaton Canoe, but the currents there are quite strong, so there is a danger you'll end up in Brazil.

Then after a swim we 'drink a glass of sulphuric acid, and lick road clean wit tongue' as they say. :D

David M
8th February 2017, 10:45 PM
It's -9C feeling like -14 with the wind this afternoon. We had 5 hours of freezing rain yesterday afternoon and evening. I managed to get the drivers door open to go to work this morning. The other doors and boot are frozen shut and there's so much ice on the door mirrors there's 3 inch long icicles hanging off them.

Ross the fiddler
9th February 2017, 03:15 AM
Funny you should mention - I'm 6ft 4 1/2 inches tall!

Jim

So it's only natural you tell 'tall stories' then! :D

Jim Ford
9th February 2017, 10:46 AM
Some of the softer northerners go to Seaton Canoe, but the currents there are quite strong, so there is a danger you'll end up in Brazil.

We used to consider ourselves lucky if we stopped at Brazil! We were usually swept past Brazil, down past Patagonia and Cape Horn and into the Roaring Forties, until we ended up in Antarctica where we played beach volleyball on the Ross ice shelf!

Jim

Naughty Nigel
9th February 2017, 10:51 AM
We used to consider ourselves lucky if we stopped at Brazil! We were usually swept past Brazil, down past Patagonia and Cape Horn and into the Roaring Forties, until we ended up in Antarctica where we played beach volleyball on the Ross ice shelf!

Jim

But you didn't claim on your life insurance, which is what shipwrecked mariners from Seaton Canoe generally do? ;)

Jim Ford
9th February 2017, 11:23 AM
But you didn't claim on your life insurance, which is what shipwrecked mariners from Seaton Canoe generally do? ;)

We were too poor to pay for life insurance. Those that weren't dare not for fear that their relations would kill them for the money. We were a hard lot round our way!

Jim

Ross the fiddler
11th February 2017, 11:31 AM
Back to feeling hot again...... :rolleyes:

It did get rather hot today, but thankful the air conditioning kept it OK inside. *yes

Although the temperature shows it got up to 45.8, it is also worth knowing this weather station is above the bowling club building (or somewhere there) & could be showing a couple of degrees above the forecast 44 for the day. Never the less, it was HOT! :W)

It was good weather for *chr

Naughty Nigel
11th February 2017, 07:51 PM
Back to feeling hot again...... :rolleyes:

It did get rather hot today, but thankful the air conditioning kept it OK inside. *yes

Although the temperature shows it got up to 45.8, it is also worth knowing this weather station is above the bowling club building (or somewhere there) & could be showing a couple of degrees above the forecast 44 for the day. Never the less, it was HOT! :W)

It was good weather for *chr

I don't mind the heat, but 45 C is getting a bit hot.

A few yeas ago I had to travel out to Aquaba in Jordan during mid-July. The heat there was unbelievable, with daytime temperatures well in excess of 50 C. Even at night it rarely dropped below 35 C

There was a strong, and exceptionally dry wind from the north, which had apparently crossed the Sahara before it came to us.

I distinctly remember drinking gallons of water yet never needing the loo. The heat didn't seem too bad whilst standing in the wind, but the moment you moved out of the wind it was like being in an oven. I guess that is how and why the traditional Arab dress evolved.

Truly, only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in that mid day sun!

Ross the fiddler
11th February 2017, 11:27 PM
I don't mind the heat, but 45 C is getting a bit hot.

A few yeas ago I had to travel out to Aquaba in Jordan during mid-July. The heat there was unbelievable, with daytime temperatures well in excess of 50 C. Even at night it rarely dropped below 35 C

There was a strong, and exceptionally dry wind from the north, which had apparently crossed the Sahara before it came to us.

I distinctly remember drinking gallons of water yet never needing the loo. The heat didn't seem too bad whilst standing in the wind, but the moment you moved out of the wind it was like being in an oven. I guess that is how and why the traditional Arab dress evolved.

Truly, only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in that mid day sun!

That is uncomfortable. :eek: With us the North West winds come from the hot centre of Australia & the weather pattern at the moment is shifting the clouds & moist air further south coming from north Western Australia where there is excessive rain (as well as further up around Asia) but later this afternoon we should hopefully see a cooler change from the south & maybe a shower or two. http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/springwood.shtml It's wind gusts today that have everyone on edge with some areas being categorised as being catastrophic conditions but thankfully where we are, because we've had some recent rain, it is only considered extreme at 37 with wind gusts expected up to 55km/hr after yesterdays drying heat.
Anyhow, we just hope & pray no incidents spark off any fires at all. It was a tree branch falling on power lines in October 2013 that took out over 200 houses then, but at least all services are on high alert for this though.

Hope you have a good one. *chr

maccabeej
12th February 2017, 09:37 AM
Been in 50 degrees in the Red Centre and Marrakech. I could actually feel it burning my skin. On the other hand despite being a Geordie by birth I have to wear a coat in April and May when in Whitley Bay[emoji3]

Naughty Nigel
12th February 2017, 04:31 PM
Been in 50 degrees in the Red Centre and Marrakech. I could actually feel it burning my skin. On the other hand despite being a Geordie by birth I have to wear a coat in April and May when in Whitley Bay[emoji3]

I don't think I have ever known Whitley Bay, or the North Sea to be warm, even in mid-summer!

There have been occasions in the summer that we have driven to the coast to get away from the heat at home, only to be met by sea fret and temperatures of about 12 C - in mid July! :eek: