PDA

View Full Version : Can the real Teresa May .... An Apology

Zuiko
31st January 2017, 09:32 PM
Please note I have deleted this thread following a complaint from a member. It was quite rightly pointed out to me that this thread is not keeping it clean and doesn't treat women with respect. It is ironic as that is a complaint rightly levelled at the US President. Perhaps this too is locker room talk? But two wrongs don't make this acceptable.

Although it was intended as a little light-hearted humour when I started the thread, in retrospect I can see that the complainant has a valid point and I have no wish to sink to Trump's level. As a moderator I should have known better and I apologise for any offense I have caused. I would also like to thank the complainant for raising this issue and providing me with the opportunity to reconsider if this thread is appropriate, which clearly it is not.

benvendetta
31st January 2017, 10:04 PM
I am surprised that it took that long before a complaint came in.........

Zuiko
31st January 2017, 10:08 PM
I am surprised that it took that long before a complaint came in.........

I am sorry, Dave, I should have known better than to start this thread, but if you spotted it was inappropriate you could have used the Report button.

Wee man
31st January 2017, 10:24 PM
oops.

Put it down to the after effects of your anesthetic ?

Hope you are keeping well.

catkins
31st January 2017, 10:43 PM
I think we're all learning and re-evaluating things that perhaps in the past could be seen to be 'banter' (maybe even so, questionable) but that Dwonold Clump has turned into a much more threatening type of overtly bullying sexist talk that most of us had hoped was been forced into a very distant past.
Interestingly though, some of the best placards in anti Trump protests have made used of quite forthright language that would make most of us blush!
So, perhaps as in so many situations, we need to recognise that humour still has or indeed must have its place but we must be also able to judge the potential harm that comes with certain attitudes of intolerance sometimes contained within banter. But tolerance is something that seems in short supply in this Brexit/Dwonold Clump new world order!
Cheers
Chris

pdk42
31st January 2017, 10:50 PM
A good decision John. I posted on the thread but in hindsight it probably was inappropriate. My only defence is that it was just another opportunity to get at May and Trump!!

Zuiko
1st February 2017, 12:57 AM
Before you go though, can you please mail me that pic of Teresa as its no longer on the thread. :D:D:D:D

John

It's amazing what Google will find for you. ;)

benvendetta
1st February 2017, 12:31 PM
I am sorry, Dave, I should have known better than to start this thread, but if you spotted it was inappropriate you could have used the Report button.

I rather liked the image that you used to illustrate the thread..........:D

Jim Ford
1st February 2017, 12:57 PM
A good decision John. I posted on the thread but in hindsight it probably was inappropriate. My only defence is that it was just another opportunity to get at May and Trump!!

May and Trump are providing a rich source of material on newsthump. These are my current favourites:

http://newsthump.com/2017/02/01/ban-isnt-a-ban-insists-press-secretary-for-man-who-called-ban-a-ban/
http://newsthump.com/2017/02/01/donald-trump-convinced-geneva-convention-was-seventies-progressive-rock-band/

Jim

snaarman
1st February 2017, 01:30 PM
Ah, so it wasn't an ornithology thread after all.

Naughty Nigel
1st February 2017, 02:08 PM
I have to admit that I did think John's original post was a little close to the knuckle, but certainly not offensive. I contributed some photographs myself so I am in no position to complain. :)

A true gentleman should never unintentionally offend, but equally, I do feel that humour and laughter is essential to healthy and happy living. Life would be very dull if there was nothing, and nobody to laugh at.

I can remember a time when the workplace was full of laughter, (usually mucky jokes), but it seems the PC Police and the modern corporate world has conditioned us out of that sort of humour.

Sadly today's world is full of people looking for reasons to be offended, and we have to be aware of that. But equally, viewing forum posts is entirely voluntary!

I often drop in here during the day for some light relief so please don't let this forum become a dull and sterile place as there will be little pleasure in visiting it, and our virtual friendships will be lost.

DerekW
1st February 2017, 02:40 PM
This section has become a bit dull of late.
So cheer up lads and laddettes - Brexit means misery we have not seen since the power cuts of 1947.

Naughty Nigel
1st February 2017, 02:45 PM
This section has become a bit dull of late.
So cheer up lads and laddettes - Brexit means misery we have not seen since the power cuts of 1947.

1947 or 1974?

I quite enjoyed 1974 actually. :)

Harold Gough
1st February 2017, 04:10 PM
[url]http://newsthump.com/2017/02/01/ban-isnt-a-ban-insists-press-secretary-for-man-who-called-ban-a-ban/

The problem lies (no pun intended) with the English language. The Americans think they have mastered it. :)

Harold

Naughty Nigel
1st February 2017, 04:14 PM
The problem lies (no pun intended) with the English language. The Americans think they have mastered it. :)

Harold

Who said "two nations divided by a common language"? :)

Zuiko
1st February 2017, 04:23 PM
I have to admit that I did think John's original post was a little close to the knuckle, but certainly not offensive. I contributed some photographs myself so I am in no position to complain. :)

A true gentleman should never unintentionally offend, but equally, I do feel that humour and laughter is essential to healthy and happy living. Life would be very dull if there was nothing, and nobody to laugh at.

I can remember a time when the workplace was full of laughter, (usually mucky jokes), but it seems the PC Police and the modern corporate world has conditioned us out of that sort of humour.

Sadly today's world is full of people looking for reasons to be offended, and we have to be aware of that. But equally, viewing forum posts is entirely voluntary!

I often drop in here during the day for some light relief so please don't let this forum become a dull and sterile place as there will be little pleasure in visiting it, and our virtual friendships will be lost.

None of us want the forum to become a dull and sterile place, devoid of all humour, but it is necessary to strike the right balance. This particularly applies to me, as a moderator, as I should be setting a good example. I believe that in this case I failed to do this and went a little too far.

DerekW
1st February 2017, 04:27 PM
I meant 1947, every evening there was a power cut for about an hour to conserve coal. The Smith Crisp factory next door was considered to be a food factory so could keep on cooking with all it's lights on while we were in darkness apart from a paraffin lamp and candle.

The 1972 and 1974 ish power cuts were quite profitable for me, I was responsible for running the payroll system at the factory, so I had early shift - at midnight, to run the first system on the 360 50 to run the payroll system, before any other systems were allowed to start up, there was another 360 50 available to run factory and product support systems.
My overtime payments were very lucrative.

For the second set of strikes and power cuts a much friendlier working method was organised and so less lucrative.

Because of the cuts we had to work on the New Years day which was the first one to be a Bank Holiday, so a bit of a downer.

Naughty Nigel
1st February 2017, 05:01 PM
None of us want the forum to become a dull and sterile place, devoid of all humour, but it is necessary to strike the right balance. This particularly applies to me, as a moderator, as I should be setting a good example. I believe that in this case I failed to do this and went a little too far.

Don't be too hard on yourself John. We all joined in and enjoyed it. *yes

iso
1st February 2017, 06:31 PM
John - How many complaints were actually made? One?

iso
1st February 2017, 06:32 PM
I think we're all learning and re-evaluating things that perhaps in the past could be seen to be 'banter' (maybe even so, questionable) but that Dwonold Clump has turned into a much more threatening type of overtly bullying sexist talk that most of us had hoped was been forced into a very distant past.
Interestingly though, some of the best placards in anti Trump protests have made used of quite forthright language that would make most of us blush!
So, perhaps as in so many situations, we need to recognise that humour still has or indeed must have its place but we must be also able to judge the potential harm that comes with certain attitudes of intolerance sometimes contained within banter. But tolerance is something that seems in short supply in this Brexit/Dwonold Clump new world order!
Cheers
Chris

I can only agree - :mad:

iso
1st February 2017, 06:36 PM

Disagree - ok image was 'lush', but the thinking behind it was not. Complicated, but UK shouldn't 'roll over' on the other hand, some things do need to be said:eek:

Mrs T
1st February 2017, 08:20 PM
John,

I opened it and then closed it and moved on. I work in a male dominated team and I think there is a balance to be struck, although not everyone has the same view. I quite enjoy the banter with the chaps and I can give them "the look" when they push the limits and all is fine. And maybe this is also sexist but I like it when a gentleman stops and opens a door, as some blokes walk through and leave it to close in your face.

I was actually far more annoyed by a post on the OMD group on Facebook last week by someone posing with no top, flies undone and a PEN camera with a long lens. I thought it must be a cover up for something and rather pathetic. (Hope it was no one from here)!

Anyway, I didn't take offence.

Amanda

George Dorn
1st February 2017, 09:19 PM
I saw that post, too and thought it crass.

Naughty Nigel
1st February 2017, 09:57 PM
I saw that post, too and thought it crass.

Was it from an American? They seem to spoil everything. :rolleyes:

So far I have left three Facebook groups because of crass Americans.

One character, who claimed he had a PhD in electronics engineering made death threats towards me because I said it was nonsense to suggest that a pair of $25,000 loudspeaker cables would sound any better than a pair of good quality copper cables of suitable cross section. (Peter Walker, no less, said exactly the same thing many years ago.)

The irony of it was that the guy's profile picture showed him to be so morbidly obese that he could barely walk, let alone carry out his death threats.

Zuiko
1st February 2017, 10:00 PM
John,

I opened it and then closed it and moved on. I work in a male dominated team and I think there is a balance to be struck, although not everyone has the same view. I quite enjoy the banter with the chaps and I can give them "the look" when they push the limits and all is fine. And maybe this is also sexist but I like it when a gentleman stops and opens a door, as some blokes walk through and leave it to close in your face.

I was actually far more annoyed by a post on the OMD group on Facebook last week by someone posing with no top, flies undone and a PEN camera with a long lens. I thought it must be a cover up for something and rather pathetic. (Hope it was no one from here)!

Anyway, I didn't take offence.

Amanda

Thanks Amanda,

It's useful to have a female perspective on this and to hear that you have managed to strike a balance with your male work colleagues that enables you to enjoy the banter without feeling uncomfortable. This is possible because you are part of a team who know each other well through working together on a daily basis and are therefore able to recognise the boundaries of what is acceptable and what isn't.

It's a totally different environment on an Internet forum and we don't have the benefit of knowing what each of our members are likely to find acceptable or offensive, therefore it is right that we should exercise caution.

DerekW
1st February 2017, 11:06 PM
NN

You do not cross "cableists" unless you are prepared to fight to a long death of of threads lasting many pages and taking years to run into the grave, only for the arguments to be taken up by some one else for the whole saga to be repeated again.

Oh and yes, cables can sound different.

Crazy Dave
1st February 2017, 11:24 PM

Harold

Tisk, tisk Harold. They now have at least three adjectives. Awesome, cool and hot (as in sexy).

David

Naughty Nigel
1st February 2017, 11:26 PM

Bullshit! :D

Peter Walker (the founder of Quad) was asked about this at a HiFi exhibition some years ago when they had connected a pair of ESL's to the power amplifier (a 405 or 606 I think) with mains cable. PW was alleged to have made some comment about Flymo cable sounding best as it has the warmest colour - or somesuch!

I currently use 2.5 mm cross section OFC speaker cable, but I have previously used 2.5 mm mains cable (from 2.5 twin and earth) to connect my loudspeakers and it didn't make a blind bit of difference.

Just have a look inside an amplifier to see the cables connecting the binding posts to the output transformers, or transistors!

Oh yes, and then there's mains cables. Apparently that 6' length of black cable between the wall socket and your amplifier makes all the difference. Poor quality cables absorb interference and spoil the sound, but the hundreds of miles of cable between your house and the power station make no difference at all. :D :rolleyes:

Naughty Nigel
1st February 2017, 11:39 PM
Nigel, walking isn't a requirement. These days, you only need the ability and strength to pull the trigger on an AK-47, the American rabbit hunters weapon of choice. :D

John

Yes, but he'd have had to get on an aircraft to fly here first, which would have presented something of a challenge to him.

I rather suspect he and his family have never left the ranch, and that 'Bob' was more than his uncle, if you know what I mean. :D

Harold Gough
2nd February 2017, 06:25 AM
Tisk, tisk Harold. They now have at least three adjectives. Awesome, cool and hot (as in sexy).

David

They used to have "hot" for temperature but now they have air conditioning.

Harold

Harold Gough
2nd February 2017, 06:27 AM
the American rabbit hunters weapon of choice. :D

John

Shouldn't that be "rabid"?

Harold

Zuiko
2nd February 2017, 09:24 AM

Peter Walker (the founder of Quad) was asked about this at a HiFi exhibition some years ago when they had connected a pair of ESL's to the power amplifier (a 405 or 606 I think) with mains cable. PW was alleged to have made some comment about Flymo cable sounding best as it has the warmest colour - or somesuch!

I currently use 2.5 mm cross section OFC speaker cable, but I have previously used 2.5 mm mains cable (from 2.5 twin and earth) to connect my loudspeakers and it didn't make a blind bit of difference.

Just have a look inside an amplifier to see the cables connecting the binding posts to the output transformers, or transistors!

Oh yes, and then there's mains cables. Apparently that 6' length of black cable between the wall socket and your amplifier makes all the difference. Poor quality cables absorb interference and spoil the sound, but the hundreds of miles of cable between your house and the power station make no difference at all. :D :rolleyes:

No, no, nooooo! not on this forum, please! When someone is wearing the Emperor's new clothes you don't tell them that they are! :eek::eek::eek:

I'm off to lay in a darkened room and listen to my Sony MP3 player now. :D

Otto
2nd February 2017, 10:01 AM

A decent quality speaker cable certainly sounds better than cheap twisted flex, my own highly sceptical ears proved that to me. But a gold plated mains plug? Don't be daft!

My favourites in the snake oil dept. are the optical cables with gold-plated connectors (yes, really) :D.

DerekW
2nd February 2017, 10:39 AM
as I said, Cable treads go and on and on.
Never try to prove an audio point of view in a non audio way - only by demonstration

Harold Gough
2nd February 2017, 10:56 AM
No, no, nooooo! not on this forum, please! When someone is wearing the Emperor's new clothes you don't tell them that they are! :eek::eek::eek:

Is that a wise potential quote, in view of the thread title? :D

Harold

DerekW
2nd February 2017, 11:05 AM
Re American adjectives - actually I have seen an Awesome in a shop in Deming NM.

http://www.w9259.co.uk/miscpics/CA276009.jpg

Naughty Nigel
2nd February 2017, 11:23 AM
Oh please. Hand tooled? :rolleyes:

I wonder what that could be 'repurposed' for?

Oh no. 'Repurposed' is actually in the IE spell check dictionary. *sob

Jim Ford
2nd February 2017, 02:44 PM
"Awesome"? Ah - so that's what Americans mean when they say 'Ossum'!

Jim

Naughty Nigel
2nd February 2017, 03:35 PM
"Awesome"? Ah - so that's what Americans mean when they say 'Ossum'!

Jim

Ossum? Were you not thinking of 'loathsome'? :rolleyes:

Graham_of_Rainham
2nd February 2017, 06:28 PM
A decent quality speaker cable certainly sounds better than cheap twisted flex, my own highly sceptical ears proved that to me.

But only if driven by EL84s in "Push Pull" configuration :D

iso
2nd February 2017, 07:03 PM

Gee and I thought we were talking about Tits:confused:

Naughty Nigel
2nd February 2017, 10:57 PM
But only if driven by EL84s in "Push Pull" configuration :D

No, KT66's in ultra linear "Push Pull". :D

Zuiko
3rd February 2017, 12:18 AM
It's ironic that most men cannot afford to invest in the best HiFi until they reach middle age, when their hearing starts to deteriorate! :D

Ross the fiddler
3rd February 2017, 12:42 AM
Is that a wise potential quote, in view of the thread title? :D

Harold

Currently, it could spark off a whole new explosive thread! :p

Ross the fiddler
3rd February 2017, 12:45 AM
It's ironic that most men cannot afford to invest in the best HiFi until they reach middle age, when their hearing starts to deteriorate! :D

Nor a decent camera until their eyesight is failing. :D

Jim Ford
3rd February 2017, 09:31 AM

Exactly!

I used to dabble with Hi-Fi equipment in the 60s (built from scratch a Tobey and Dinsdale amp and pre-amp from the 1961 Wireless World).

I guess my hearing wasn't bad then, but now I can't hear anything above 8KHz and have tinnitus as a result of pistol shooting without ear defenders..

Jim

Naughty Nigel
3rd February 2017, 09:36 AM

Nor a decent camera until their eyesight is failing. :D

Hmmm. Good point, which has so many parallels. *yes

Returning to the original discussion, I wonder how Donald's equipment copes with Melania?

Now, just in case you're suffering from short term memory loss here's a reminder? :D

https://phillystylemag.com/get/files/image/migration/5048_content_melania.jpg

snaarman
3rd February 2017, 09:38 AM
No, KT66's in ultra linear "Push Pull". :D

Ultra linear and transformer don't go in the same sentence, even with the odd beam tetrode involved

:)

(Fortunately all my HF hearing has gone, so I can't hear all those nasty harmonics anyway)

Pete

Naughty Nigel
3rd February 2017, 10:41 AM
Ultra linear and transformer don't go in the same sentence, even with the odd beam tetrode involved

:)

(Fortunately all my HF hearing has gone, so I can't hear all those nasty harmonics anyway)

Pete

Beam tetrodes. Now we're talking.

Peter Walker (Quad) never really went along the 'ultra linear' route, with its additional output transformer tappings connected to the output valve screen grids; but instead used additional windings to provide negative feedback via the output valve cathodes.

Peter Walker himself is sadly long gone, but it says something that his original circuit designs from the early 1950's are still being built by the Quad company today with few modifications. Frequency response from 5 Hz to 20 KHz is still unmatched by many transistor amplifiers, whilst real world distortion is all but non-existent.

A small amount of third harmonic distortion has long been associated with valve output stages, but THD somehow adds to classical music. The output transformer also seems to filter out nasty digital artefacts from the DAC, so giving a more 'analogue' sound. :D

On the vexed subject of loudspeaker cables, I would never advocate using thin, poor quality cable as the resistance is likely to affect sound quality, and bass response in particular. However, my point was that 'provided good quality cables of adequate cross section are used, (2.5 mm should suffice), there is nothing to be gained by spending vast sums of money on solid silver cables with solid gold connectors, or similar'.

You cannot defy the laws of physics. *yes

David M
3rd February 2017, 11:51 AM
You cannot defy the laws of physics. *yes

Unless you're a certain third-party lens maker who can build lenses faster than the front elements allow for. :D

Jim Ford
3rd February 2017, 12:01 PM
Returning to the original discussion, I wonder how Donald's equipment copes with Melania?

This is very revealing how Trump treats his wife:

Melania Trump Is Being Abused By Donald Trump (PROOF) - YouTube

Also, note how smug and self satisfied he looks after speaking to her.

A thoroughly nasty piece of work!

Jim

DerekW
3rd February 2017, 12:26 PM
Jim - That is you done for - you will not get into the US for the next 4 years (8 possibly)

Jim Ford
3rd February 2017, 12:56 PM
Jim - That is you done for - you will not get into the US for the next 4 years (8 possibly)

OK by me - I don't 'do' foreign lands and if I did the US would be at the very bottom of my list!

Jim

Naughty Nigel
3rd February 2017, 12:57 PM

Do you really think he will last for four years?

Naughty Nigel
3rd February 2017, 12:59 PM
OK by me - I don't 'do' foreign lands and if I did the US would be at the very bottom of my list!

Jim

I travel quite a lot, mainly around Europe, but the USA is not on my 'to do' list either.

Jim Ford
3rd February 2017, 01:03 PM
Do you really think he will last for four years?

I'd put money on that he won't - in fact it'll surprise me if he lasts to the end of the year!

A thoroughly odious piece of ordure in every respect!

Jim

Ross the fiddler
3rd February 2017, 01:05 PM

Jim

It is for me too, but you're welcome downunder. :D

Naughty Nigel
3rd February 2017, 01:16 PM
I'd put money on that he won't - in fact it'll surprise me if he lasts to the end of the year!

A thoroughly odious piece of ordure in every respect!

Jim

Which makes it all the more worrying that nearly 63 million Americans voted for him.

There again, the alternative was little better. :rolleyes:

Ricoh
3rd February 2017, 01:22 PM
It is for me too, but you're welcome downunder. :D
I can't understand how Australia managed to con the USA (under Obama) to accept its refugee problem:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/nov/13/refugees-held-in-australian-offshore-detention-to-be-resettled-in-us

But now appears to be somewhat pissed off because Trump has said stick it.

Harold Gough
3rd February 2017, 02:56 PM

Jim

We do but agree with the ranking of the USA.

Harold

Jim Ford
3rd February 2017, 03:09 PM
Which makes it all the more worrying that nearly 63 million Americans voted for him.

"You may be sure that the Americans will commit all the stupidities they can think of, plus some that are beyond imagination."
Charles de Gaulle

Trump as POTUS was beyond imagination!

Jim

Harold Gough
3rd February 2017, 03:22 PM
"You may be sure that the Americans will commit all the stupidities they can think of, plus some that are beyond imagination."
Charles de Gaulle

C de G was a man of great wisdom. He, over many years, repeatedly said "Non!" to the UK joined the Common Market. *chr

Harold

Harold Gough
3rd February 2017, 04:54 PM

John 'Duke' Wayne was playing the Centurian in a Crucifixion scene an epic film. His line was "Surely this was the Son of God".

The director was not impressed with his delivery and said "Say it again, this time with awe".

"Aw, surely this was the Son of God!"

Harold

Naughty Nigel
3rd February 2017, 05:10 PM
C de G was a man of great wisdom. He, over many years, repeatedly said "Non!" to the UK joined the Common Market. *chr

Harold

If only we had listened. :rolleyes:

iso
3rd February 2017, 08:26 PM
Probably why they have to do it in the vain hope they may hear something. Seems to me that the chase after better Woof & Tweet has a lot in common with the pixel peeping that sometimes goes on in here.