PDA

View Full Version : Focus target home

Clockwork Donkey
25th January 2017, 09:07 PM
Being new to Olympus, I am always finding functions which behave differently to my long-held Canon cameras. One of these I find irritating beyond rationality.

I have my Fn2 button configured to return the focus target (I usually use single target) to its selected home position, which it does ... until I turn the camera off and on again whereupon the target has reverted to the position selected prior to turning off the camera. The only way to get the target to stay home is by returning it using the arrow buttons. This seems so illogical as I want my camera to boot up with the target at home irrspective of where it was last. I note the Mark I is the same.
I sent a ticket to Olympus over the matter and after several emails they have agreed to send my observation for consideration for a future firmware update.

Does anyone else find this quirk annoying?

timboo
25th January 2017, 09:28 PM
Being new to Olympus, I am always finding functions which behave differently to my long-held Canon cameras. One of these I find irritating beyond rationality.

I have my Fn2 button configured to return the focus target (I usually use single target) to its selected home position, which it does ... until I turn the camera off and on again whereupon the target has reverted to the position selected prior to turning off the camera. The only way to get the target to stay home is by returning it using the arrow buttons. This seems so illogical as I want my camera to boot up with the target at home irrspective of where it was last. I note the Mark I is the same.
I sent a ticket to Olympus over the matter and after several emails they have agreed to send my observation for consideration for a future firmware update.

Does anyone else find this quirk annoying?

Ive noticed that home doesnt appear to do much, on previous firmware i set home position to fn2 like you and if i needed to adjust then move back to home one hit of fn2 did the trick but cant replicate this anymore which i find strange and same goes for focus type from spot to centre etc.

Clockwork Donkey
25th January 2017, 09:41 PM
Have you set up the home position in the cog A2 menu?

Ross the fiddler
25th January 2017, 11:57 PM
Once you have actually set the Home in the Menu (it takes pressing OK in more than one level of the Menu to lock it in) it will always revert to Home with the programmed Fn button, but in case you weren't aware, it also toggles between (programmed) Home & the last used AF position/setting, which includes size etc. That applied to the E-M1 Mk I & should be the same for the Mk II (except for the size, which does not change).

BTW, I like to have my 4 way pad programmed to Direct Function & pressing the left key activates AF target selection rather than having all 4 keys moving the AF target any time it gets pressed.

timboo
26th January 2017, 07:43 AM
Thanks Ross will double check my settings tonight but first thoughts seems different to previous fare although I could be wrong.

brian1208
26th January 2017, 10:47 AM
Being new to Olympus, I am always finding functions which behave differently to my long-held Canon cameras. One of these I find irritating beyond rationality

Having made the move from canon to Olympus I can understand your frustration

Tranquillity came for me when I finally accepted that the apparent similarities between the system are sent to confuse and annoy and relearnt how to use the Olympus EM series as if it was my first camera

It does get easier with use and I second Ross's tip on first setting Home point via menu

Olybirder
26th January 2017, 11:37 AM
Once you have actually set the Home in the Menu (it takes pressing OK in more than one level of the Menu to lock it in) it will always revert to Home with the programmed Fn button, but in case you weren't aware, it also toggles between (programmed) Home & the last used AF position/setting, which includes size etc. That applied to the E-M1 Mk I & should be the same for the Mk II (except for the size, which does not change).I had always assumed that this is how it works. However I have just tried my camera and it doesn't.

I have the AF target set as single small point in the central position. I have saved this as the Home position in the menu and assigned this to the Fn1 button. However, if I nudge the target to one side and then press the Home position button it just opens the AF point display with the target offset. If I press the button again it just switches off the display. Also if I turn the camera off and on again the AF point remains offset. I can't remember it working like this before.

Ron

Ross the fiddler
26th January 2017, 12:53 PM
I had always assumed that this is how it works. However I have just tried my camera and it doesn't.

I have the AF target set as single small point in the central position. I have saved this as the Home position in the menu and assigned this to the Fn2 button. However, if I nudge the target to one side and then press the Home position button it just opens the AF point display with the target offset. If I press the button again it just switches off the display. Also if I turn the camera off and on again the AF point remains offset. I can't remember it working like this before.

Ron

My information is based on the Mk I & I know there are differences with the Mk II with Info & OK, but my Mk I operates as I have described above.

EDIT: For E-M1 Mk I, in Menu *A, Set Home, scrolling across twice to the to set the position (& size), to set it press OK & then press OK again, otherwise it won't be locked in. I have my Fn1 set for AF Home & it will toggle AF Home & last used set position & size.

andym
26th January 2017, 01:01 PM
On the Mk1 it did not work in manual focus mode 3 which makes the AEL button auto-focus(which is how I like to use my cameras). Worked in as it should in SAF.
I raised this with Oly but nothing ever happened.

Worked as It should with back button focusing on the E5. I'll try the Mk2 in a while.

andym
26th January 2017, 01:04 PM
Doesn't work on the Mk2 either.:(:(:(

Ross the fiddler
26th January 2017, 01:10 PM
On the Mk1 it did not work in manual focus mode 3 which makes the AEL button auto-focus(which is how I like to use my cameras). Worked in as it should in SAF.
I raised this with Oly but nothing ever happened.

Worked as It should with back button focusing on the E5. I'll try the Mk2 in a while.

:confused: But this thread is about Focus target home, isn't it? And to me that means it is the AF target which is not for MF. :confused:

andym
26th January 2017, 01:14 PM
:confused: But this thread is about Focus target home, isn't it? And to me that means it is the AF target which is not for MF. :confused:

Yes. With the home point set for example to the centre point, if it is moved to somewhere else you should be able to return it to the centre with the push of a pre-programmed button. If the camera is set in SAF it works, if it's set in MF but in mode 3 to SAF with the back button it does not.
It did on the E5.

Probably the way I worded it caused confusion ;););)

Ross the fiddler
26th January 2017, 01:31 PM
Yes. With the home point set for example to the centre point, if it is moved to somewhere else you should be able to return it to the centre with the push of a pre-programmed button. If the camera is set in SAF it works, if it's set in MF but in mode 3 to SAF with the back button it does not.
It did on the E5.

Probably the way I worded it caused confusion ;););)

I see what you mean now (just tried it) as it just stays where last set & that's it, but considering it is MF until the AFL is pressed, I guess it is understandable, but something that could have been programmed differently in the firmware. *shrug I suppose the Mk II is the same?

I haven't tried that on my E30 but might be an interesting exercise when I have nothing else to do. ;)

brian1208
26th January 2017, 01:39 PM
Now I'm confused, just gone back and tried it and as stated, it doesn't work as expected (strange as I'm sure I checked it when I first set it up and it did?)

More "Apparent similarities designed to confuse" (I spent 30 mins or more trying all the combinations I could think of but none sorted it)

This seems to be the problem

"Set the AF target mode, AF target position, and AF mode
that are used as the home position. Press Q button to
select the desired options in the [N Set Home] display.
HP appears in the AF target selection display while you choose
a home position."

Its that last step I can't get to work

timboo
26th January 2017, 08:43 PM
Just sussed it very simple mistake why. Go into the menu button/dial/lever i did something really silly when allocating function to fn1. When you scroll through I had previously chosen AF Area select opposed to Home. Now fixed and does exactly the same as previous fware. Cheers folks.

Silly silly me *smash

brian1208
26th January 2017, 09:39 PM
Thanks timboo, I'd done exactly the same :)

timboo
26th January 2017, 10:18 PM
No worries Brian makes me feel better that i wasnt the only 1 ☺️

Gwyver
27th January 2017, 04:14 PM
Just sussed it very simple mistake why. Go into the menu button/dial/lever i did something really silly when allocating function to fn1. When you scroll through I had previously chosen AF Area select opposed to Home. Now fixed and does exactly the same as previous fware. Cheers folks.

Silly silly me *smash

Don't think it was your 'silliness' - the default for Fn1 on the Mkii is "AF Area Select" (see manual p166).

By the way, if you specify the 'Set Home' option, you can also select what AF mode is used - so your button can toggle from e.g. S-AF single point to C-AF all points as well as returning to a Home Position (see manual p112).

I use this with AF Area Select assigned to Fn1, and AF Set Home assigned to Fn2.