PDA

View Full Version : 9-18 firmware upgrade fail

craig
23rd January 2017, 10:37 PM
I was updating the firmware on my lenses tonight with no problems until it came to my mft 9-18, at the end of the update instead of the expected OK I got the letters NG on my screen, anyone know what that means ?, anyway my lens no longer works, it doesn't register on the camera and I can see nothing but a blank screen through the viewfinder. I've sent an email to Olympus technical support and hope to here from them tomorrow.

Craig

craig
24th January 2017, 01:21 PM
Well I have to send the lens in to Olympus and pay to have the firmware reinstalled, they say the lens and the computer must have lost communication during the download and NG stands for no good, they also advised that I use Olympus viewer 3 for my updates and not the Olympus firmware updater as its more reliable, I wish they advised this on the updater.

Craig

Miketoll
24th January 2017, 01:29 PM
Thanks for sharing Olympus's advice to use Olympus Viewer 3 rather than the firmware updater. I have always used the latter so I will have to change.

craig
24th January 2017, 01:48 PM
Thanks for sharing Olympus's advice to use Olympus Viewer 3 rather than the firmware updater. I have always used the latter so I will have to change.

No bother Mike, the lens was bought second had and reading their terms and conditions on the firmware installer I new if anything went wrong you're not covered but to be told they put it down to "user error" when they admit the updater is not as reliable as viewer 3 seems a bit unfair. Luckily my 2 pro lenses updated OK just before it.

Craig

yorky
24th January 2017, 02:12 PM
Sounds a very unreasonable reply from Olympus. How can it "user Error"?

craig
3rd February 2017, 05:35 PM
Wow! I just got a quote to repair the lens for the sum of 129.56, seems very unreasonable considering I followed their instructions for the firmware upgrade to the letter, I'll give them a phone on Monday but at the end of the day they've got you stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Craig

Hemlockwood
3rd February 2017, 05:44 PM
I was going to ascertain whether the 9-18 lens I bought from a fellow member required a firmware update. I think I will give it miss just in case it does. The charge is very unreasonable.

craig
7th February 2017, 02:02 PM
Well a bit of good news, after an email and a phone call to let Olympus know I was unhappy at the price of repair considering the damage was caused by a firmware upgrade I received a phone call from them to apologize for the mix up in repair costs and the price was now 37, quite a difference, anyway hopefully I'll have my lens back soon

Craig

pdk42
7th February 2017, 02:17 PM
Well a bit of good news, after an email and a phone call to let Olympus know I was unhappy at the price of repair considering the damage was caused by a firmware upgrade I received a phone call from them to apologize for the mix up in repair costs and the price was now 37, quite a difference, anyway hopefully I'll have my lens back soon

Craig

That's good news. Once properly engaged, I find Oly service to be quite excellent.