PDA

View Full Version : Broken Bigma and support from Sigma

PeterD
27th January 2009, 06:27 PM
Last Saturday, I had the misfortune to drop my Bigma which resulted in the fracture of the petal hood and inability to zoom the assembly (It was stuck at a focal length of 500mm).:eek::(:mad:
Fearing the worst, I contacted Sigma yesterday and they assured me that the lens was repairable. Standard turn-round would be 2 weeks and thid could be extended to 5 weeks if it needed to have a replcement part which has been out of stock:(.
I could not get the lens in a protective case and in any case, I wanted to speed up the overall repair time so it was a hand delivery to the repair centre.
I was very pleased that I had done this as, when I told them I use the camera every day, it was immediately inspected and the repair cost established. I have authorised the payment which will be debited after the repair. I should have the lens delivered back to me next week.
Sigma *chr now join Olympus *chr for their after sales support and I thought it right to highlight this experience. I am amazed at the responsiveness of Olympus and Sigma to their Customer needs. Too often we experience an inflexible approach from other retailers.
Peter

tlove
27th January 2009, 07:21 PM
Well done Peter - you're very lucky, I know how hard you work with that lens *yes:)

I just wish I could say the same about my customer service experience with Sigma :(. They had both my Bigma and E-3 (to 'calibrate' lens to body) for 6 weeks last year - the focus was 'too soft'. After 6 weeks of promising it would be ready 'next week', and 'we're waiting for a part', they finally replaced the lens with a new one :rolleyes:. I sort of wish they'd left me with the other one really :(

The new one's focusing motor struggles to the point of standstill (and can't seem to focus on anything in particular - it literally jumps in and out of focus when I'm trying to take a picture, even in ideal conditions), and the images are still too soft. I don't use it unless I have to now - I've lost all faith in mine, particularly when I see what other people are doing with theirs.

Let me know how you get on...

Xpres
27th January 2009, 07:32 PM
Thea, I hope your not going to accept that lens . If it's not right then send it back - or better still take it to Sigma, as Peter did, and try out several until you're happy with one.

PeterD
27th January 2009, 07:45 PM
Thea,
Have you provided feedback on your replacement lens? I have spoken to two of the men at Sigma WGC and both have been sympathetic and helpful. The lens itself is far too good (and expensive) to keep on the shelf and I am sure that they would provide good support. What you describe is something I too would not accept and seems as though it really should have not been described as a new lens. Ask them to test the lens before releasing a new one to you. Mind you, given your previous experience, I would have expected them to do just that.
Good luck Thea and please do not accept the lens as a done deal. If it helps, mention my experience and see if that spurs them on.
Cheers
Peter

PeterD
2nd February 2009, 01:03 PM
Just an update. Phoned Sigma today and found that the lens repair was completed on Friday:D. I am expecting it to be back to me today/tomorrow*chr
I only returned the lens for repair on Tuesday. 3 days to complete the repair is magic. Best quoted times are 2-3 weeks!
Well done Sigma*chr.
I have been using the ZD 70-300 last week and only found ONE wildlife exposure that was good out of about 300. Non wildlife shooting is OK but thats not what I normally do. Kind of reminded me why I changed to the Bigma.
Peter

PeterD
2nd February 2009, 05:44 PM
Delivered at 3pm.*chr. Mechanical zoom smooth (better than when new), lightpath absolutely clear and autofocus lock good (as before). IQ on a test card looks good but will prove it tomorrow when I go out with the dog.:D
Peter

Ghene
15th February 2009, 07:24 PM
Thea,
Contact the service and mention your problems with the lens. I know that this is a very tricky time to do this as they are busy preparing for Focus. Do not worry, the customer service is very good and the guys there are helpful.

Ghene

tlove
15th February 2009, 08:11 PM
Thea,
Contact the service and mention your problems with the lens. I know that this is a very tricky time to do this as they are busy preparing for Focus. Do not worry, the customer service is very good and the guys there are helpful.

Ghene

Thanks - my husband has already done this, and the lens will be going back this week.

I think I'm probably the only person in the whole of Britain, but I wish I could share everybody's enthusiasm for their customer service. This is the second Bigma I've had from them, being a replacement for my original one which they couldn't sort out. My experience with them last time was not a very good one unfortunately (I'm not a demanding or unreasonable person, but when you are trying to get through to them by phone, and when you do finally get through they pick the receiver up and put it straight back down without talking to you, I see this as very poor customer service). Also, their 2 -3 week repair time ended up being more than double that.

As I said, I seem to be the only person in the whole of Britain less than impressed with them :(

We'll see what happens this time ;)

PeterD
15th February 2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks - my husband has already done this, and the lens will be going back this week.

I think I'm probably the only person in the whole of Britain, but I wish I could share everybody's enthusiasm for their customer service. This is the second Bigma I've had from them, being a replacement for my original one which they couldn't sort out. My experience with them last time was not a very good one unfortunately (I'm not a demanding or unreasonable person, but when you are trying to get through to them by phone, and when you do finally get through they pick the receiver up and put it straight back down without talking to you, I see this as very poor customer service). Also, their 2 -3 week repair time ended up being more than double that.

As I said, I seem to be the only person in the whole of Britain less than impressed with them :(

We'll see what happens this time ;)

Thea,
If I had the experience you have then I too would feel pretty fed up as you do.
In my case, I did not demand anything but got a 3 day repair turn-around. I only told them that I use the lens daily for wildlife (which is true) and asked them to repair it as quick as they could. Before I left, I was told I would have it back within 7 days. The staff I talked to on the phone and on my site visit were polite and helpful. The difference in my situation was that I had damaged the lens and it was not a performance issue.
Good luck and I hope you too get a good response this time.
Peter