PDA

View Full Version : EM1 Mk II and Panasonic 35-100 f2.8

Maria
16th January 2017, 12:17 PM
Having recently jumped ship from Panasonic (GH4) to the EM1 Mark II, I know I'm likely to have a few questions and came across this forum. I hope you may be able to help me.

I tried my EM1 Mk II with the Panasonic f2.8, 35-100 for the first time at weekend and seem to have come across an issue with it. If I use S-AF, it seems to focus OK, giving me the green box as confirmation that it has focus. If I use C-AF (with or without tracking) it doesn't seem to want to confirm focus. Occasionally (but not consistently) I'll get a green box when I half-press the shutter but mostly not. It sometime appears to bring the subject into focus but sometimes doesn't seem to make any attempt to focus at all. I've tried cleaning the contacts and all the settings I can think of but can't work out why it should work in one focusing mode and not the other.

Having moved from a GH4, my lenses are all (but one) Panasonic. I haven't tried them all as yet but the 100-400 and 12-35 (f2.8) lenses seem to focus OK whether in S-AF or C-AF. Anyone one else come across this on this (or any other) lens? Any ideas would be welcomed.

Growltiger
16th January 2017, 12:42 PM
The answer is simple. You need to update the firmware on that lens. Put the lens on the camera and do an update. I think the latest version is 1.3.
It is worth doing all your lenses, one at a time.

Maria
16th January 2017, 01:04 PM
Thanks for your quick reply. I could have sworn I'd updated the firmware on the lens - I usually applied any updates, as soon as they came out. When I checked the lens however, it was still at 1.1 - don't know how I missed this one. I've updated it now and it seems to work as it should - so that's a relief.

Thanks very much!

Melaka
16th January 2017, 06:16 PM
I often use the 35-100/2.8 as a walkabout lens on my EM5 II and it does very well.

Bengeo
16th January 2017, 07:48 PM
With your Panasonic 100-400mm make sure you have the lens focus limiter set to full if using C-AF or you will get a juddering effect. You can use the in camera focus limiter. Also if panning, use the Camera IBIS rather than the lens stabilisation as that has a similar problem. It's a great combination as long as you are aware of these issues.

Maria
16th January 2017, 08:26 PM
Thanks, I've already discovered the lens focus limiter issue but was wondering about IBIS vs OIS for panning. I've used the camera with the 100-400 more than any other lens at the moment and have had some excellent results, when I've got the settings right.

Phill D
17th January 2017, 09:30 AM
Can I encourage you to post a few of your 100-400 images Maria. Interested in what the combination can do.

Maria
17th January 2017, 09:36 AM
Can I encourage you to post a few of your 100-400 images Maria. Interested in what the combination can do.

I've created an album on here but there are only 3 in it at the moment - and rather small on here. You'll find more (and bigger) images on my Flickr page, the link should be visible in my signature now. All the recent shots (from the night shot at Salford Quays) are taken with them EM1 Mark II - some shots have more images in the first comment field which can also be viewed larger, if you click on them. I usually resize my images to 2048 long edge for Flickr.

Phill D
17th January 2017, 10:01 AM
Just posted in your other thread :) superb shots on Flickr. Hope you don't mind I've followed you.

drmarkf
17th January 2017, 12:07 PM
Yes, great stuff on Flickr!

steverh
17th January 2017, 12:43 PM
Great pictures on Flickr *chr