PDA

View Full Version : Floating focus area.

sapper
15th January 2017, 04:18 PM
Trying out the camera today at grandchild's gym party, don't ask,and the focus area, single square, moves around, so when I select C-AF TR and try to follow said grandchild as she runs around, the focus area will float to a nearby person.
I have looked at the manual but cannot find any ref to this. probably called something else.
Anyone help on this one?

Growltiger
15th January 2017, 05:04 PM
It's complicated. There are various settings.

Instead, why not keep it simple. Set it to C-AF (no tracking), single focus point or perhaps 5 focus points, aim at child, half press, keep following the child, and the focus will change as the child moves.

(Perhaps you have face detect turned on - in that case it will try to look for faces.)

b1ts
16th January 2017, 10:48 AM
Yep sounds like face detect to me.

AMc
19th January 2017, 05:06 PM
IIRC the "C-AF TR" is pattern matching rather than face detecting (on my E-M10 at least). It's supposed to keep the subject tracked and focused but if it changes significantly i.e. they turn around then it will lose the pattern and in this case lock to something else.
I tried it at a motorsport event but had no luck with it until I realised as the cars were going round a bend they were changing signficantly.
I should have tried it on the straight but I don't think I got around to it and I went back to S-AF

sapper
19th January 2017, 05:09 PM
Thanks guy. Since I last posted, i got flu so not able to get out and try any of your suggestions. SWMBO is being very strict with me, only allowed in to the back garden to top up the feeders, coat, scarf and hat on!
But, I am feeling better so hope to be out over the weekend.

iso
19th January 2017, 05:47 PM
Would that advice also apply to a % Mk ll ?

sapper
19th January 2017, 06:11 PM
Would that advice also apply to a % Mk ll ?

Must be my foggy brain, but I don't get this.

iso
19th January 2017, 06:44 PM
Must be my foggy brain, but I don't get this.
Maybe the Flu - Hit the wrong Key - is that the same for E5 Mkll

Mrs T
19th January 2017, 08:22 PM
Those with the flu/nasty virus have my sympathy. I'm into my 4th week (although I tried to keep working for the first two and made myself worse) and now have antibiotics for a sinus infection.

I have found face detection can cause wandering focus.

AMc
20th January 2017, 09:21 AM
My post was really just sharing experience.
On my racing day I tried several settings. C-AF with a focus area selected on the touch screen was pretty good. C-AF with tracking couldn't keep track of the cars but then they were changing size and shape so I suspect my understanding of how it's supposed to work was at fault.
I mainly took S-AF as I was just amusing myself while I waited for a friend to race in his Formula Jedi.

From memory my E-M10 MkI has C-AF with tracking, my E-PL5 doesn't, I would expect the E-M5 MkII would have the same function.

Get well soon everyone!