PDA

View Full Version : What about the rear dial?

Harold Gough
15th January 2017, 10:10 AM
My Mk1 needed the rear dial, which had seized, replaced within a few weeks of purchase. Two years or so later, the replacement seems to be going the same way.

Has this dial been improved for the MK2? If not, I would never consider purchase.

Harold

Growltiger
15th January 2017, 11:19 AM
People who bought an E-M1 later on seem not to have had any problems, so it is likely they fixed it on that camera and the E-M1 II will also prove to be OK.

People who had the problem early on would not have received the fix, explaining why you have the problem again.

Mine is two years old and has not had the problem. I am buying the new one.

Phill D
15th January 2017, 11:31 AM
I think you've just been unlucky Harold. I got one of the very first batch of Mk1s and mine has been fine and still no problems.

Bruce Clarke
15th January 2017, 12:40 PM
Harold, I think in another thread you said you rarely used the rear dial. It is a recognised problem with the E-M1, so I make a habit of spinning front and rear dials regularly when turned off to clean the contacts. I've not had any problems so far! Also, if you only move it when turned on, you may only use a few of the contacts. Spinning them when off ensures you are using all the contacts randomly.

Harold Gough
15th January 2017, 01:43 PM
Harold, I think in another thread you said you rarely used the rear dial. It is a recognised problem with the E-M1, so I make a habit of spinning front and rear dials regularly when turned off to clean the contacts. I've not had any problems so far! Also, if you only move it when turned on, you may only use a few of the contacts. Spinning them when off ensures you are using all the contacts randomly.

Thanks, Bruce.

I saw that and gave them a spin. I will try to do so daily. I'm struggling with how that might ease the stiffness but, if it works, who cares why!

Harold

Growltiger
15th January 2017, 01:46 PM
So are you saying the problem is stiffness, but that when it turns it does work correctly?

If so that is a new problem, not the normal E-M1 rear dial problem we are all talking about. The normal problem is that the dial turns normally, but doesn't register all the clicks, so nothing happens, or it takes more spinning than it should to work.

I have never heard of anyone with your problem. You really are unlucky.

Bruce Clarke
15th January 2017, 01:51 PM
I've not heard of stiffness problems before either, but spinning may help. Maybe Oly have started replacing Mk I dials with a modified part that has more spring pressure to keep the contacts clean?

Harold Gough
15th January 2017, 02:20 PM
So are you saying the problem is stiffness, but that when it turns it does work correctly?

If so that is a new problem, not the normal E-M1 rear dial problem we are all talking about. The normal problem is that the dial turns normally, but doesn't register all the clicks, so nothing happens, or it takes more spinning than it should to work.

I have never heard of anyone with your problem. You really are unlucky.

Perhaps it is my interpretation of what I experience. The dial turns readily but it definitely needs considerable downward pressure to effect settings (aperture) changes. I suppose this could be a contact issue.

Harold

Harold

KennyC
15th January 2017, 08:38 PM
I've not heard of stiffness problems before either, but spinning may help. Maybe Oly have started replacing Mk I dials with a modified part that has more spring pressure to keep the contacts clean?
I thought there there were no "contacts" in the conventional sense, but that the wheels had some cunning electronic coupling. My M1 was bought less than a year ago and the rear dial failed just a few months from new. I have seen nothing to indicate that the M1/1 dials have been improved as there are still reports of failures on other forums. The normal repair for wheel failure is to replace the complete circuit board sub-assembly on which the wheels are mounted
The other question of concern should be whether they have done anything on the M1/2 to stop the strap lugs dropping off. There should be more to a Pro camera than just good images and trickery, surely robustness and reliability should be high on the list.