PDA

View Full Version : RIP Greg Lake

Zuiko
11th January 2017, 06:04 PM
As a hangover to 2016, I've only just learned that Greg Lake (legendary bassist with King Crimson and Emmerson Lake and Palmer) died on 7th December after a long battle with cancer. RIP

andym
11th January 2017, 07:18 PM
I was never a great fan of ELP but King Crimson were and still are one of my favorites.
He sang the appropriately named Epitaph(a classic) which you have to play very loud.

Another loss

David M
11th January 2017, 10:44 PM
I saw him with Gary Moore in the early 80's. I have his solo album from then on vinyl.

drmarkf
11th January 2017, 11:27 PM
Both bands did it for me in the early 70s, and I've got high-tone deafness as a result (but maybe not as much as after Deep Purple in Birmingham).

I've always enjoyed Emerson's jazz-classical-rock fusion, but Robert Fripp drove King Crimson to genuinely virtuoso heights.

Greg Lake had a great voice and carried off some portentously daft lyrics :D

drmarkf
11th January 2017, 11:33 PM
BTW it's a shame he's remembered by many people for that awful Father Christmas number.

Try this instead: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yoxHGxQw9ws

Zuiko
12th January 2017, 07:36 PM
BTW it's a shame he's remembered by many people for that awful Father Christmas number.

That's actually one of my favourite Christmas songs, not least for its bitter, cynical lyrics. :)

Phill D
12th January 2017, 08:22 PM
That's a lovely clip Mark really enjoyed listening to that thanks. Mind you I like the Christmas one too though John.

David M
12th January 2017, 10:15 PM
That's actually one of my favourite Christmas songs, not least for its bitter, cynical lyrics. :)

One of mine is Jethro Tull's A Christmas Song, also quite cynical.

As for hearing loss, there's quite a few bands responsible for mine. I suspect Ozzy and Motorhead at Port Vale football ground are most responsible. We were halfway down the pitch from the stage but it took days for my hearing to return.

drmarkf
12th January 2017, 10:50 PM
Perhaps I was being a bit over-cynical about the Xmas track!

With Emmo and Greg's recent deaths I see a whole load of new live YouTube clips have appeared, including the whole of their 1970 Zurich set from their debut tour (when they were a bit rough). I stayed up way too late last night watching these!

I first heard them at Wolverhampton Civic Hall in October 1971 by when they'd obviously done some rehearsing.