PDA

View Full Version : New panasonic gh5

Mdb2
4th January 2017, 07:35 PM
I have received an email from park cameras.
The Panasonic undercuts Olympus 1699 body only.
Kind regards mike

Mdb2
4th January 2017, 07:50 PM
This could be interesting.
Kind regards mike

Olybirder
4th January 2017, 09:15 PM
It looks as if it will become the default micro four thirds choice for users whose main interest is video. It could also prove popular with those folk who can't cope with the Olympus menu system. :)

Ron

Internaut
4th January 2017, 10:11 PM
Not to mention those who prefer modern (EOS inspired?) type SLR design and handling?

Mdb2
4th January 2017, 10:31 PM
It could maybe make The Olympus EM1mk2 drop in price hopefully!
Single shot extraction while videoing is attractive?
Kind regards mike

Internaut
4th January 2017, 10:38 PM
It makes the mk ii look overpriced, but then again it's not like Olympus haven't got form for higher launch prices, so no surprises there. According to dpreview, the mk ii has the horsepower, but the GH5 isn't exactly lagging.

Ricoh
5th January 2017, 12:31 AM
It looks a a big camera for what it is, but I guess it needs to be to accommodate all those buttons and things, a joystick too!
The question in mind, will it make you a better photographer using a camera with ever increasing tech. I doubt it will, in my mind it's better to spend your hard earned on books and tuition, and less on updating to the latest tech.

tomphotofx
5th January 2017, 04:59 PM
For me it supports 6K video which means each frame is an 18megapixel great for capturing the decisive moment plus there is no time restraints on the length of video capture. The price is very reasonable considering the features this model offers plus Panasonic has announced the firmware updates they plan to launch over the coming twelve months which will make this model very desirable.

Tom

Ricoh
5th January 2017, 05:20 PM
Charging for s/w (or f/w, if it is indeed silicon programming) seems to be following the PC/Mac model, but since modern cameras are really just computers with a lens and sensor attached, it should not be too surprising.
I wonder how long it will be before these computer-cameras have LR installed, or Internet Explorer.

mik
5th January 2017, 05:24 PM
The GH4 will continue as a budget model.

drmarkf
5th January 2017, 06:38 PM
I see they've also released mkii models of the 12-35 and 35-100 f2.8s.

Mdb2
5th January 2017, 07:47 PM
I am quite sure it will be a good product for the m4/3 market and should hopefully give us all more choices, I know that quite a few members on this site have or have had Panasonic in the past.
Kind regards mikea

Telhinhas
8th January 2017, 03:44 PM
Just a quick note to say that the GH5 does not have in sensor phase detection AF. Whilst it blows the EM1 MK II out of the water in terms of video (like it does to most professional DSLRs), it should be no match in terms of still capabilities.
fgrankly I think Pana just shot themselves in the foot by not including Phase detection in their new flagship - but maybe that is just me thinking.

pdk42
8th January 2017, 04:11 PM
Just a quick note to say that the GH5 does not have in sensor phase detection AF. Whilst it blows the EM1 MK II out of the water in terms of video (like it does to most professional DSLRs), it should be no match in terms of still capabilities.
fgrankly I think Pana just shot themselves in the foot by not including Phase detection in their new flagship - but maybe that is just me thinking.

They have no 4/3 legacy lens issues and their DFD seems to work very well for CAF. I doubt when used with MFT lenses that there will be much difference between the GH5 and the E-M1ii.

mik
8th January 2017, 04:20 PM

Panasonic DFD works well on my GX8 for BIF and it can be improved any time by Panasonic with a firmware upgrade so not certain its a shot in the foot.