PDA

View Full Version : Rutland Water

mike_j
23rd January 2009, 08:32 PM
I am willing to organise a day at Rutland Water if anyone is interested. If you don't know it, it is (arguably) the largest artificial lake in the UK and has a superb nature reserve. Around the water, and in the surrounding villages, there are some great landscape opportunities and on the right day you can get excellent sailing and surfboarding action shots.

The main point of interest may be that I should be able to organise a guided walk around the nature reserve so you will be able to photograph from all the hides and also have the benefit of an expert guide for the morning to help you tell the difference between a sparrow and a sparrowhawk (dinner if you don't know!)

In the last week there have been kingfishers, a bittern, water rail, otters and plenty of water birds and waders.

I'm flexible as to date - suggestions please.

E-P1 fan
23rd January 2009, 09:29 PM
Nice walk right round it too... great photo ops

andym
23rd January 2009, 11:27 PM
Sounds good.

I'll try my best to be there.

Might be best in March/April when the birds a breeding and there's plenty of light.

art frames
25th January 2009, 11:27 AM
Yes please. I usually go just for the Birdfair so would like to come for a proper visit.

thank you

Peter

sapper
25th January 2009, 05:48 PM
I'm in dependant on date.

Andrew Riddell
25th January 2009, 08:35 PM
I'm not sure if it's a comfortable return drive for me, but (subject to that and, of course, the date) I'm interested.

I have to say that birds are not my particular thing, but I seem to recall that there's a church left almost in the middle of the water??

Andrew

mike_j
25th January 2009, 09:16 PM
I'm not sure if it's a comfortable return drive for me, but (subject to that and, of course, the date) I'm interested.

I have to say that birds are not my particular thing, but I seem to recall that there's a church left almost in the middle of the water??

Andrew

Do you mean this one?

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Photo05_2.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/12181)

Andrew Riddell
25th January 2009, 10:19 PM
That's it!

Andrew

alert_bri
27th January 2009, 07:22 PM
Mike, thanks for suggesting this - Rutland Water and the surrounding area would make for a cracking event... I'm sure we'll have lots of interest from the Safari Group members in the area.

The church is very photogenic.

http://www.pbase.com/bmosley/image/100339150/original.jpg

Map Reference and detailed event discussion. (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=106478543555192071681.000451a5a3d65746758d7&ll=52.658476,-0.63343&spn=0.087047,0.264359&z=13)

Looking forward to it!

Kind Regards

Brian

Jonesgj
27th January 2009, 08:52 PM
Sorry guys, I have scanned up and down the thread and can't see a proposed or agreed date. If I have missed it - sorry :o. Its been a long day.

Otherwise, and again dependent on date, I would try to attend being quite close. Incidentally, the Church is at Normanton (see the Brians Olympus Google Map and Reference link)

Regards

Graydon

mike_j
27th January 2009, 09:04 PM
No, I just floated the idea, I'm flexible as to date. Perhaps towards the end of March. It will be easier to oganise the guided walk round the reserve during the week and be quieter in the hides (if that's what people want to do), but I expect most people would prefer a Saturday or Sunday.

So what about Thursday 19th if a weekday is chosen or Sunday 22nd. Any other ideas welcomed.

I think cost will be 5 with guide - gives access to reserve and parking in all carparks, 4 reserve and parking only, 3 parking only.

Andrew Riddell
27th January 2009, 09:34 PM
Mike,

I almost certainly wouldn't be able to do Thursday 19th March, but probably could make it on the Sunday.

Regards,

Andrew

Rod Souter
27th January 2009, 10:37 PM
Sunday looks good for me.

Rod

mike_j
8th February 2009, 01:47 PM
Date provisionally set for Sunday 22nd March though as this is Mothering Sunday it may be better to change it - please let me know if a different date is preferred. Meet at Normanton Carpark 9:30am or 1:00pm. If I can arrange the guided walk it will be limited to 8 people, obviously no limit for the general visitors to Rutland Water or indeed to others wanting to visit the reserve by themselves and I can get a group rate if enough people want to visit.

Provisional costs are 5 - all car parks and walk, 4 reserve and car parks, 3 reservoir car parking only.

Barrie Norman
22nd February 2009, 09:46 AM
This is one of my favorite sites and I will certainly be there, keep me posted

Barrie Norman

Barrie Norman
25th February 2009, 05:40 PM
I am willing to organise a day at Rutland Water if anyone is interested. If you don't know it, it is (arguably) the largest artificial lake in the UK and has a superb nature reserve. Around the water, and in the surrounding villages, there are some great landscape opportunities and on the right day you can get excellent sailing and surfboarding action shots.

The main point of interest may be that I should be able to organise a guided walk around the nature reserve so you will be able to photograph from all the hides and also have the benefit of an expert guide for the morning to help you tell the difference between a sparrow and a sparrowhawk (dinner if you don't know!)

In the last week there have been kingfishers, a bittern, water rail, otters and plenty of water birds and waders.

I'm flexible as to date - suggestions please.
Is this trip to Rutland water still going ahead, everything has gone quiet!

mike_j
25th February 2009, 07:09 PM
Yes, I was going to post an update.

The date is 22nd March. Initial meeting place changed to Egelton Nature Reserve Car Park 09:30. This is so people wanting to visit the nature reserve can get their passes which are also valid for all the other carparks. If there are enough we can get a group rate but it's only 4 anyway. I can't arrange the guided walk but is well worth visiting the hides on both sections of the reserve if you like bird photography. Bring your longest lenses! Wardens will be there to identify the rareities you snap.

If you aren't into birding there are plenty of lanscape and watersport opportunities around the reservoir and you can even take a trip on the water if the Rutland Belle is running.

If you can't make Egleton in the morning (I'll be at the car park till 10:30) meet at Normanton Car Park at 12:30. There is a basic cafe there, a decent restaurant and plenty of other eateries and pubs in the vicinity though likely to be busy as it is Mothering Sunday. It's near the landmark Normanton Church.

You'll find me at Egleton easily as I will be driving a cream Autosleeper campervan. If you want my contact phone number please send me a pm.

Location maps and details

Egleton http://www.rutlandwater.org.uk/
Normanton http://www.anglianwaterleisure.co.uk/

Mike

mike_j
15th March 2009, 06:57 PM
All set. 9:30-10.30am at Egleton Nature Reserve for early birds wanting to visit the reserve 11:00am onwards at Normanton otherwise. General meet at Normanton for lunch and chat. You'll spot me easiliy as I will drive my Autosleeper campervan but if you want my mobile number for contact please send me a pm

We should have sone nice toys to play with, G1 with assortment of Leica fit lenses, an E620 and ZD 40-250mm f2.8 and 300 f2.8 amongst others.

Let's hope weather is as nice as it has been today.

andym
15th March 2009, 07:04 PM
I'll have to pass this time.

Have a good day.

Jonesgj
17th March 2009, 05:39 PM
I will be there, for the morning, together with my son Matthew with his E420. I am looking forward to using the E30 at last....

mlc
17th March 2009, 10:13 PM
Mike,

Are there still places for the guided walk? Does this start at 9.30?

thanks,

Mark

mike_j
21st March 2009, 08:05 AM
Mark,

Yes - definitely on and arrangements as posted above

All set. 9:30-10.30am at Egleton Nature Reserve for early birds wanting to visit the reserve 11:00am onwards at Normanton otherwise. General meet at Normanton for lunch and chat. You'll spot me easiliy as I will drive my Autosleeper campervan but if you want my mobile number for contact please send me a pm

We should have sone nice toys to play with, G1 with assortment of Leica fit lenses, an E620 and ZD 40-250mm f2.8 and 300 f2.8 amongst others.

Yours is the first request for the guided walk so it's a non starter but there will be some experts around to identify any interesting birds and I know the reserve well. In addition to the nature reserve area there are all the usual Rutland Water picture subjects, landscape, sailing etc and 20miles of primeter track if you feel energetic.

photo_owl
21st March 2009, 09:46 AM
Mike - just a suggestion for people to bring along a monopod if they have one and wish to try out the 90-250 or 300 lenses on the day.

Whilst you can obviously hand hold them, even on the 620 as we managed last night, a monopod will make all the difference in the world with this glass.

mike_j
21st March 2009, 02:03 PM
Good idea. In the hides a bean bag is a good alternative.

Jonesgj
23rd March 2009, 02:58 PM
Mike,

Thanks for organising Matt and I had a great time.

Regards

Graydon

alert_bri
24th March 2009, 10:34 AM
Yes, me too and a big thanks to Mike for hosting this event...

Here are a couple of shots I took on the morning, it's a beautiful setting - and next time, I think I'll make the effort to get out even earlier (or towards sunset) to catch the best of the light.

Both of these were taken 'wide open' with the E-3 and unbelievable ZD 150mm f2 + 2x Teleconverter.

1/1000s f/4.0 at 300.0mm iso100
http://www.pbase.com/bmosley/image/110530608/original.jpg

1/640s f/4.0 at 300.0mm iso100
http://www.pbase.com/bmosley/image/110527220/original.jpg

I'm hoping we can collect a report from the weekend to share with our subscribers soon - follow the link in my signature to access this, and all previous Olympus Safari Group reports.

Kind Regards

Brian