PDA

View Full Version : Better sky colours

woodsy
27th December 2016, 01:32 PM
I've noticed that my EM10 has a tendancy to make skies cyan rather than blue. I've tried deliberately underexposing but it doesn't seem to help. I've tried shooting in raw and converting with Olympus Viewer 3 but I can't make much difference there either. Is there anything else I can try to make skies blue rather than cyan in my photos?

MJ224
27th December 2016, 01:55 PM
May be add a 1/2 stop to the EV, certainly experiment with that.

Regarding Post Processing, try if you can, Lightroom or Zoner.........

Mj

shenstone
27th December 2016, 02:17 PM
You will need to post some examples for people to advise more usefully

Are you meaning on PC screen or printed or both?

in the mean time check...

White balance - is it the same shift whatever you use ?
Picture Mode - what are you using ?
colourspace - are you using sRGB ?

Regards
Andy

Graham_of_Rainham
27th December 2016, 03:34 PM
Try holding a strip of blue paint colours up against a sky you like the colour of and comparing it to what you see at home.

B&Q are very good, they allow us to have paint swashes in all sorts of colours for FREE :D

Petanque
27th December 2016, 03:47 PM
This is a very interesting post. Sky colours are the very reason I parted company with my EM10. Colours are a very personal thing, what suits one may not suit another so no real camera blame. I understand your problem completely.

woodsy
27th December 2016, 07:46 PM
Thank you all for replying. I view photos on my PC and iPad, I see the cyan skies on both. I usually shoot with auto white balance and the natural picture mode. I have my colour space set to srgb. When I shoot raw I've tried changing white balance and picture mode in OV3 but I can't find a way to get the sky colours to match what I saw when taking the photo.

Here are a few samples. They don't look terrible but they do not match what I saw on the day.

tomphotofx
27th December 2016, 09:42 PM
Try shooting in manual mode and don't use auto white balance, shoot in raw in post processing manually adjust the blues to your taste save that as a preset in the raw converter you use then apply the preset to future images. If you want more control over colour change the colour space from RGB to LAB in processing this allows you to separate the colour from the luminosity with the image and you'll find you can make the colours pop to suit your taste. Hope this helps, experimentation and practice should yield the results you are looking for.

Tom

Internaut
28th December 2016, 01:31 PM
Odd.... I find Olympus AWB very reliable, and certainly never have an issue with Sky colours. For me, sky colour has always been a function of i) where the sun is and ii) where I'm pointing the camera....

shotokan101
28th December 2016, 02:13 PM
...also what metering mode are you shooting with - I sometimes find odd WB if I inadvertantly leave it set to centre-weighted or spot when shooting landscapes...

pdk42
28th December 2016, 02:20 PM
I think we need some raw examples. Can you post a raw?

alfbranch
30th December 2016, 10:31 AM
How old is the PC screen and do you calibrate it?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Graham_of_Rainham
30th December 2016, 01:31 PM
Colour perception and especially our ability to remember colour often proves difficult. One of the reasons for the x-rite and other such colour cards growth in popularity, is to have a "standard" against which to compare once the images are in processing.

My Paint swashes solution is a very cheap way of getting colours right, also by having the colour coordinates of a chart HERE (http://xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?ID=824&Action=Support&SupportID=5159) you can print them at home with whatever inks & paper you use and have a direct comparison with the image taken on location.

There are many discussions and opinions on calibration, but few include having you own colour vision tested Try it HERE (http://www.xrite.com/hue-test?PageID=77&Lang=en)

Then, there is of course personal preference... How many arguments have you had with someone over the choice of colour of paint, furnishings, clothing. etc.. :rolleyes:

We all like to look at things differently, which is why most TVs have various colour options for viewing different things. The vibrancy of the colour in adverts, is much higher than most content and that is for a specific reason.

So: Whatever colour you see at the time, will hardly ever be accurately remembered, but a simple set of colour swashes can be of great help.

Always keeping in mind that when you view anything at home under artificial light, the temperature of that light will also affect what it is that you are looking at.

Jim Ford
30th December 2016, 05:18 PM
This is 'the bible' on colour management, co-authored by the inventor of the colour management system used in digital photography (the late Bruce Fraser):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_15?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=real+world+color+management&sprefix=real+world+colo%2Caps%2C140&crid=RCL2G8PNL2BE

It's a big book, covering a big subject!

Jim