PDA

View Full Version : Help with onboard flash

woodsy
27th December 2016, 01:22 PM
Hi all, is there anyway to get better results with the onboard flash? Indoor scenes are usually underexposed. With portraits my subjects can be exposed ok but the background is too dark.

Graham_of_Rainham
27th December 2016, 02:09 PM
Hi all, is there anyway to get better results with the onboard flash? Indoor scenes are usually underexposed.

The "onboard" flash is only a GN 8.2 (ISO 200) unit, which is not really powerful enough to use as the only light source in a big room.

However, The GN is a value that is a function of Distance, Aperture & ISO setting, so for a fixed distance using a wider aperture and higher ISO the amount of light from the flash will be captured more effectively.

With portraits my subjects can be exposed ok but the background is too dark.

With flash a subject that is closest will always be brighter as the light intensity falls of dramatically as distance increases. The background 4m away will only receive a quarter of the light intensity than the person 2m away (inverse square law)

Flash lighting requires more techniques to be learned, but the process of discovery and successful results make it very rewarding.

Have fun.

woodsy
27th December 2016, 07:36 PM
Thank you Graham for your input. I usually leave iso set to auto and after looking at the exif of recent shots I can see my EM10 tends to use low iso values when flash is used. Next time I'm using flash indoors I'll try manually selecting a higher iso value.