PDA

View Full Version : A3 scanner advice

shenstone
26th December 2016, 05:44 PM
Hi All

My old flatbed died some time ago and I've been using my HP all in one for general purpose scanning, but its just not up to scanning Mrs Shenstone's artworks when needed

So I'm looking for an A3 scanner for very occasional use at a reasonable price

TBH the HP does an OK job but the scanner saves the resulting JPGs with 31% compression hardcoded somewhere and I just can't find a way to override that in any SW it's hard in the driver somewhere. That means I end up seeing awful JPEG artifacts in otherwise decent scans

So... recommendations ?

BTW it's got to work on Win10

Regards
Andy

DerekW
26th December 2016, 06:53 PM
Why not use the camera to take the image as a RAW file and then use Lightroom/Photoshop etc to create a good image.

shenstone
26th December 2016, 07:12 PM
That's plan B, and I have done it a few times but it's a PITA setting up the lighting to get it 100% smooth across the picture, something a scanner does OOTB of course.

Also The nature of watercolour paper means the paper is not perfectly flat any more and the much better DR of the camera compared to the scanners means with any imperfection in that lighting I have to so a lot of work after the scan because subtle differences are very evident.

Regards
Andy

DerekW
26th December 2016, 11:49 PM
I try and take pictures of pictures outside so as to get a relatively even light
alternatively use an A4 scanner and scan the picture in two or three scans and then use the picture merge feature in Photoshop or Lightroom - or other product.

I have done that with a picture larger than my scanner.

OM USer
29th December 2016, 06:14 PM
We use an old copy of Paint Shop Pro (V4.1.2 is shareware) for our scanning needs and it can save as a bmp or tiff for processing in more up to date image processing packages. Can you not find some scanning software for your PC that will work your printer scanner?

peak4
29th December 2016, 07:48 PM
Hi All

TBH the HP does an OK job but the scanner saves the resulting JPGs with 31% compression hardcoded somewhere and I just can't find a way to override that in any SW it's hard in the driver somewhere. That means I end up seeing awful JPEG artifacts in otherwise decent scans

Regards
Andy

Never used it myself, but have you tried vuescan (https://www.hamrick.com/reg.html) on your current HP all in one?
It's free to try and then purchase afterwards if it works OK.
I was going to take a punt when Win7 failed to recognise my old Canon scanner, but I dropped on a newer second hand one that was cheaper than the software.

shenstone
29th December 2016, 08:09 PM
Thanks for all the comments

I have tried Vuescan and a few other things, but it seems the compression is built into the HP WIA / Twain drivers somewhere and nothing seems to find a way through

I have ordered a Plustek OpticSlim 1180 - flatbed scanner

regards
Andy

Jim Ford
29th December 2016, 10:40 PM
I photograph my partner's art work on a steel whiteboard, outside on an overcast day, with the work facing North - to get even lighting. Artificial lighting indoors is hopeless for even lighting, because of the 'inverse square law'.

I hold the work onto the white board with 5mm neodymium magnets around the edges. If the work is 'cockled', I add extra 3mm magnets to pin the high bits down, and subsequently PS the magnets out.

Jim

shenstone
29th December 2016, 11:11 PM
Waiting for an overcast day when I am not working that is dry enough to take art outside IN WALES is not usually an option :D