PDA

View Full Version : 4/3 Lenses on E-M1 II

DavyG
26th December 2016, 04:05 PM
I tried the following 4/3 lenses on my Mark II today and was pleasantly surprised with the results:

Olympus 50-200mm (non SWD).

Sigma 150mm Macro.

Sigma 50-500mm.

I left it a little late in the afternoon to do this so the light wasn't great however, all 3 lenses focussed as fast, if not faster, than I recall them doing on my 4/3 bodies.

I think this is good news for those who still have good 4/3 lenses and who intend to purchase a Mark II.

I intend to experiment further using the lenses and the EC-14/EC-20, there's life left in this kit yet. *chr

Dave

Wee man
26th December 2016, 10:23 PM
I unfortunately found the same on a try day in Dublin, why unfortunately?
I was going to trade them in for an
E - M 1 Mk 2 body and it's hard to choose which ones

Wonder if 4/3 lens prices will pick up again?

Wee Man

DerekW
26th December 2016, 11:59 PM
The fact that my 7-14mm 4/3rds lens will work excellently on a the Mk ii helps me justify the Mk ii as it means I do not have to get a m4/3rds version of the lens.

If I had not bought the 40-150mm plus 1.4 convertor I would be able to use the 4/3rds 50-200 lens and by doing that would have saved the cost of a MKii - good job the Mk ii has some other survival features.....

Ross the fiddler
27th December 2016, 02:08 AM
The fact that my 7-14mm 4/3rds lens will work excellently on a the Mk ii helps me justify the Mk ii as it means I do not have to get a m4/3rds version of the lens.

If I had not bought the 40-150mm plus 1.4 convertor I would be able to use the 4/3rds 50-200 lens and by doing that would have saved the cost of a MKii - good job the Mk ii has some other survival features.....

Unfortunately for me, I've now delayed my possible purchase of the Mk II because I spent money on the Pro 40-150 MC14 lens bundle when my 50-200 SWD lens became faulty (sticky aperture blades). Them's the breaks! :rolleyes:

Also, I feel the need is now stronger for the Mk II camera to have PD-AF with the Pro 40-150 lens so it will focus on the smaller target more reliably (birds in trees etc) than the E-M1 does with CD-AF. :(

Melaka
27th December 2016, 08:41 AM
I still have my 50-200 and the Sigma 150 which are the only survivors from FT days. There still isn't anything in the MFT range that matches them for price and performance although now I have the 100-400 the future of the 50-200 is looking a bit uncertain.

Phill D
27th December 2016, 08:45 AM
I'd be interested to know how the 100-400 works out on the EM1 mk2.

Olybirder
27th December 2016, 09:46 AM
I'd be interested to know how the 100-400 works out on the EM1 mk2.Brian1208 appears to be getting on well with his, judging by the photos on his Flickr account (Brian Wadie.) It is a pity that you can't take full advantage of the synchronised stabilisation and have to choose between IBIS or OIS.

Ron

brian1208
27th December 2016, 04:25 PM
Still enjoying learning how to get the best out of the mk2 + 100-400 Ron but for my kiting / windsurfing I'm totally comfortable with it. The new CAF and CAF + Tracking functions are almost unbelievably effective (for me at least, I never used it with the mk1 as it was so unreliable) but I reckon its actually more effective than SF + MF in poor contrast conditions for birding as well as the water sports (never thought I would write that phrase ;) )

I'm also experimenting using the CAF + tracking with birds crossing in front of and behind foliage and other "Interference factors", so far with the easier case of horizontal movement, It works a treat and holds firm (I have the CAF lock set to +1 at present)

When I get time I plan to write up what I have found so far, if you think it may be of interest I will provide a link to it when its done?

By the way, don't set the focus limiter on the 100-400, it locks the system up with the mk2. Instead, keep it off and should you need it use the in-body limit function instead

Phill D
27th December 2016, 07:50 PM
Hmmm sounds like a very tempting proposition this Mk2. What with the stunning astro photo Birdboy just posted and your fast moving subject experiences Brian, 2017 could get very expensive.