PDA

View Full Version : George Michael is dead

timboo
26th December 2016, 12:08 AM
Wow this has really shocked me and at the very young age of 53, so so sad so many big names have left the world in 2016.
Is it me or has there been a higher than average number of people passed away in 2016.

pdk42
26th December 2016, 08:48 AM
The jokes about his "last Christmas" are already flowing. May he RIP.

pdk42
26th December 2016, 08:50 AM
Wow this has really shocked me and at the very young age of 53, so so sad so many big names have left the world in 2016.
Is it me or has there been a higher than average number of people passed away in 2016.

With a world population of 8bn or thereabouts I would be very surprised if the number of people dying changes much year by year (at least until climate changes really kicks in or we have some uncontrollable epidemic).

However, it does seems that there have been many famous people dying this past year. Just statistical variation within a small sample...

Otto
26th December 2016, 10:38 AM
BBC Radio 4's "More or Less" programme did an item on exactly this question recently and the answer was a resounding "yes" in the first three months but it levelled out a bit thereafter. It certainly does feel as though there have been many more than usual though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08504ln

Edit: now summarised here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38329740)

Zuiko
26th December 2016, 11:44 AM
I think it is because the long list victims includes many household names who were universally popular - and many so young. The day before George Michael died we also lost Rick Parfitt from Status Quo - wherever he's gone you can be sure the place is ROCKIN'

Many of those we have lost were huge favourites of mine (eg Chris Squire, bass guitarist with Yes) and for me and together with my own personal problems and wider issues such as Brexit, 2016 has been a nasty, vicious, malevolent sh1t of a year. :mad:

freewheeler
27th December 2016, 09:04 AM
Well Chris Squires passing certainly slipped by me, Didn't know about him. Yes were a favourite band of mine back in the day. RIP.
I think we forget that the celebrities we grew up with also age like we do so we are shocked when we hear of their demise.

Wally
27th December 2016, 10:36 AM
I think the whole issue follows a combination of two routes. We see so many as they were some years back in films and PR shots and tend to forget that they too grow old. Then there is the instant comms, where ,when something happens in the back of beyond it is instantly reported which, where some celebs are concerned arrives as a shock.

You can get a list --> http://nbc4i.com/2016/12/26/remembering-those-weve-lost-in-2016/ Some names will be unknown even though they were famous.

Naughty Nigel
27th December 2016, 02:55 PM
I think we forget that the celebrities we grew up with also age like we do so we are shocked when we hear of their demise.

Yes, and many of them came to fame at around the same time and the same ages, so all are nearing their allocated 'three-score years and ten'. :)

I also suspect that, in some cases, the lifestyles of these pop superstars will have hastened their demise.

Oddly enough, we were watching a programme about Karen Carpenter just a few days ago. She (and Richard) were undoubtedly great talents, and were deservedly well known across the world, but I do wonder whether she would have been quite so famous had she lived.

timboo
27th December 2016, 06:03 PM
Add carrie fisher to the list too :-(

George Dorn
27th December 2016, 06:08 PM
That is such a shame.

tomphotofx
27th December 2016, 09:25 PM
It's sad news about George Michael's passing his compassion and generosity will be missed, the good always die young so sad.

Tom

Mrs T
27th December 2016, 09:31 PM
It seems only now that his good side is being appreciated and not the way he had been portrayed. Very sad.

Naughty Nigel
27th December 2016, 10:26 PM
It seems only now that his good side is being appreciated and not the way he had been portrayed. Very sad.

Isn't that always the way?

pdk42
27th December 2016, 11:14 PM
And we can now add Corrie Fisher to the 2016 "Dead Famous People" list. RIP

pandora
28th December 2016, 01:20 AM
..... the good always die young so sad. ...Tom
I take exception to that proposition, Tom !

Mrs T
28th December 2016, 08:12 AM
I take exception to that proposition, Tom !

Doesn't every rule need an exception Mark?? ;)

Mrs T
28th December 2016, 08:15 AM
Isn't that always the way?

True (except for Mark/Pandora!). Wham! were the first posters on my bedroom wall, so George Michael was always one of my favourites (A-Ha/Morten Harket and Bon Jovi being the others).

We saw George Michael at Earl's Court in 2006, and had seats just to the side of the stage. It was the best concert I have ever been to. So much energy.

Zuiko
29th December 2016, 03:08 AM
And now Debbie Reynolds has died, just days after her daughter, Carrie Fisher. My wife, Debbie, was named after her. When will this bitch of a year ever end?

George Dorn
29th December 2016, 09:36 AM
There's selfie of Keith Richards holding an 'I survived 2016' message going around the social media. He's braver than I!

Zuiko
29th December 2016, 10:14 AM
There's selfie of Keith Richards holding an 'I survived 2016' message going around the social media. He's braver than I!

There are still a few days left, I'm taking nothing for granted.

Wally
29th December 2016, 11:17 AM
Have just read today that the mystery surrounding Amy Johnson may have been solved. A ghost from the past to add to the list. Unfortunately, as it hints at a 'cover up' it doesn't make for good reading.

--> http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/mystery-behind-the-death-of-aviator-amy-johnson-may-finally-have-been-solved/ar-BBxFhWo?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout

Naughty Nigel
29th December 2016, 11:34 AM
And now Debbie Reynolds has died, just days after her daughter, Carrie Fisher. My wife, Debbie, was named after her. When will this bitch of a year ever end?

What makes you think 2017 will be any better John? :)

Zuiko
29th December 2016, 12:19 PM
What makes you think 2017 will be any better John? :)

Unfortunately I have no sound judgement or reasoning to offer, only Hope.

Random occurrence has a way of averaging things out and there is an equal chance of next year being better, worse, or about the same. Coincidence cannot be ruled out either, especially given the arbitrary comparison of a calendar year. Why not measure from one summer solstice to the next? I guess we humans like some form of order in our lives and the arithmetical progression of our calendar suits how we chronical the history of our World - and measure recent trends.

I'm sorry I'm not able to offer anything more tangible or certain than Hope. However, throughout history when disaster, tragedy or oppression have threatened to extinguish the human spirit, Hope has enabled us to endure and ultimately prevail, the weakness of its intangible nature ultimately proving to be its real strength.

I make no apologies for hoping 2017 will be a better year, because if we lose Hope what future do we have anyway?

DerekW
29th December 2016, 12:26 PM
All of the famous people of our early years are in the death zone, they are older than our own cohort and so more liable to die.

In order to maintain a gaussian distribution death ages a quantity of younger people will also die.

What makes the numbers seem higher is the way that the media has created and promoted "famous" people in an increasing way over the last 40 or so years.

Zuiko
29th December 2016, 12:31 PM

On the plus side maybe this is an indication that society is becoming ever so slightly less judgemental and homophobic.

I loved George Michael for his music but respected and admired him most for his honesty and ability to admit mistakes.

Naughty Nigel
29th December 2016, 01:16 PM
All of the famous people of our early years are in the death zone, they are older than our own cohort and so more liable to die.

In order to maintain a gaussian distribution death ages a quantity of younger people will also die.

This is true, but as I have said previously, the lifestyles of some of those concerned (drink, drugs, etc.) will also have hastened their demise.

The only puzzle for me is how the rich and famous seem to be able to keep their hair so well. :D

What makes the numbers seem higher is the way that the media has created and promoted "famous" people in an increasing way over the last 40 or so years.

This is also true. I was very sorry to hear of George Michael's passing, but there will be many others who are just as significant, but have passed on almost unnoticed.

As an example, I would argue that conductors Harry Rabinowitz and Sir Neville Marriner were at least as influential in their fields of music as Bowie and George Michael, yet their passing hardly warranted a mention in the news.

However, I would agree with John that there is always hope, so let us all hope that 2017 is better all round. :)

Zuiko
29th December 2016, 01:43 PM
As an example, I would argue that conductors Harry Rabinowitz and Sir Neville Marriner were at least as influential in their fields of music as Bowie and George Michael, yet their passing hardly warranted a mention in the news.

This is very sad and proves that the outpouring of public grief is not an accurate measure of true worth. However, this hardly matters because it is the private grief of close friends and family that really counts - the same as for any person regardless of wealth and fame.

Naughty Nigel
29th December 2016, 01:54 PM
This is very sad and proves that the outpouring of public grief is not an accurate measure of true worth.

I couldn't agree more.

In my view far too many so called 'celebrities' are grossly overvalued by the popular media, and are only "rich and famous" because the popular media relentlessly promotes their particular brand of mediocrity and the salacious gossip that all too often surrounds them.

Would the world really be any worse off if the likes of Ricky Gervais, Jonathan Woss and Russell Brand decided to go and live under a rock a safe distance away from television studios.

What beats me is why the general public are so in awe of these individuals. :rolleyes:

Mrs T
29th December 2016, 02:02 PM
I couldn't agree more.

In my view far too many so called 'celebrities' are grossly overvalued by the popular media, and are only "rich and famous" because the popular media relentlessly promotes their particular brand of mediocrity and the salacious gossip that all too often surrounds them.

Would the world really be any worse off if the likes of Ricky Gervais, Jonathan Woss and Russell Brand decided to go and live under a rock a safe distance away from television studios.

What beats me is why the general public are so in awe of these individuals. :rolleyes:

Perhaps our modern world of social media plays a part in this. I remember when if you wanted to see the new Wham! (or other artist) video you had to be watching Top of the Pops at the appointed time. Now everything is always there (which has pros and cons).

We have been lucky enough to see our local Rio bronze medal winning Olympian 3 times this week - now that to me is awesome!

But I am still sad about George Michael. And also still think about Michael Schumacher and the cruel twist of fate life dealt him.

Naughty Nigel
29th December 2016, 02:24 PM
And also still think about Michael Schumacher and the cruel twist of fate life dealt him.

Likewise Mike Hailwood. :(

For somebody who had taken more risks than most, only to be taken out (with his daughter) whilst going to get fish and chips.

Naughty Nigel
30th December 2016, 06:04 PM
Well, for those desperate to see the end of 2016 I see the New Year is to be delayed by one second. :D

BBC Report (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38470682)

Harold Gough
31st December 2016, 09:11 AM
It's sad news about George Michael's passing his compassion and generosity will be missed, the good always die young so sad.

Tom

"Good"? It seems to me that celebrities who include long term drug abuse in their lifestyle cause a lot of harm to those who try to emulate them.

Harold

Zuiko
31st December 2016, 09:58 AM
"Good"? It seems to me that celebrities who include long term drug abuse in their lifestyle cause a lot of harm to those who try to emulate them.

Harold

George Michael certainly had his demons and his problems have been widely reported. However, since his death it has been revealed that he was extraordinarily generous to a number of charities with both his money and his time. I'd say the good he did far outweighed the bad and the World is a poorer place with his passing on a basic human level, regardless of his achievements in the field of pop music.

brianvickers
31st December 2016, 05:25 PM
Hello everyone...I only popped in to wish everyone a happy New Year...since I passed over to a quite different 'other side' some time ago I thought I'd look in to my favourite forum where I learned so much during my transition to mirrorless and digital.
What an interesting thread...much of the above is relevant to the pop culture that pervades the honours system too.
It must be so difficult to live with the incredible extremes of wealth and idolisation for these individuals.
It would be interesting to know if fame really does affect life expectancy ....theoretically it should improve it......but it didn't help the Duke of Westminster who also passed away recently.
..anyway.....Happy New Year all you good Olympus using folk!

Wally
31st December 2016, 06:24 PM
Well, for those desperate to see the end of 2016 I see the New Year is to be delayed by one second. :D

BBC Report (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38470682) :tup

As the extra second doessn't always accur on a NY when - 23:59:60 shows up. This occurence should make for a rare snap-shot. *yes

Zuiko
31st December 2016, 07:53 PM
Hello everyone...I only popped in to wish everyone a happy New Year...since I passed over to a quite different 'other side' some time ago I thought I'd look in to my favourite forum where I learned so much during my transition to mirrorless and digital.
What an interesting thread...much of the above is relevant to the pop culture that pervades the honours system too.
It must be so difficult to live with the incredible extremes of wealth and idolisation for these individuals.
It would be interesting to know if fame really does affect life expectancy ....theoretically it should improve it......but it didn't help the Duke of Westminster who also passed away recently.

Hi Brian, thanks for dropping in - it's nice to hear from you. Happy New Year. *chr

Naughty Nigel
31st December 2016, 08:13 PM

I can remember people having their lives destroyed by winning the football pools in the 1960's. The Lottery hasn't been much kinder to those who have drawn six numbers, although I gather they now offer counselling for winners. :rolleyes:

One very quick way to find friends you never knew you had. :(

Zuiko
1st January 2017, 09:10 AM
I can remember people having their lives destroyed by winning the football pools in the 1960's. The Lottery hasn't been much kinder to those who have drawn six numbers, although I gather they now offer counselling for winners. :rolleyes:

One very quick way to find friends you never knew you had. :(

A LOT of money wouldn't really help me. All I want at the moment is about 50K to cover essential repairs to our house, buy a decent used car to replace our aging Passat and help my daughter through university. If there was enough left for a self-catering holiday in Ireland, that would be a fantastic bonus.

No mention of an E-M1ii? It would be wasted on me - I'll just be glad to get back to using the camera I already own. :)

brianvickers
1st January 2017, 04:14 PM
...I had an old Passat...wish I'd not changed it...no other car Ive had has been built so well (the one with the bulbous nose and no grill)

Zuiko
1st January 2017, 05:31 PM
...I had an old Passat...wish I'd not changed it...no other car Ive had has been built so well (the one with the bulbous nose and no grill)

I had that type too, it blew a head gasket at 130,000 miles and was deemed uneconomic to repair. Currently own a later, diesel model (but still 10 years old) on 140,000 miles. In between we had a Passat with a 1.8 petrol turbo engine; it went like sh1t off a shovel, by far the fastest car I've owned. It was quite old when the ABS unit failed and we traded it in rather than pay 1000 to replace the part. Agree well built, but expensive to service and repair.