PDA

View Full Version : Exif data

Melaka
23rd December 2016, 03:19 PM
Am I alone in being disappointed that so many images posted on the forum contain no Exif data?

Naughty Nigel
23rd December 2016, 03:54 PM
Am I alone in being disappointed that so many images posted on the forum contain no Exif data?

I think it depends why we are interested in the EXIF data.

Shutter speed, aperture, focal length, etc. is valuable information, but there is always a danger than people will spot something like a camera model, jump to the wrong conclusions and then complain that the image should not be there.

This happened to me when I posted an image taken on my OM4 Ti, which is an Olympus film camera, but I had scanned the Velvia transparency on a Nikon Coolscan LS9000C film scanner. As far as I know Olympus doesn't make film scanners.

I therefore think it is entirely understandable why EXIF data is stripped from images before uploading to the internet. In any case, I think that is the default when preparing images for upload from Photoshop.

David M
23rd December 2016, 09:37 PM
I don't think I've ever looked at the EXIF data of an image.

I must admit to editing the EXIF data of some of the images I post online to screw with people who do.

Ross the fiddler
23rd December 2016, 10:12 PM
I don't think I've ever looked at the EXIF data of an image.

I must admit to editing the EXIF data of some of the images I post online to screw with people who do.

So when I look at your images, will the Artist or Copyright be Mickey Mouse? :rolleyes:

David M
23rd December 2016, 10:29 PM
So when I look at your images, will the Artist or Copyright be Mickey Mouse? :rolleyes:

No but you may find an image taken with an E-7 or the 500 mm f/4 PRO. Shots taken with the phone or tablet may be labeled as taken with a Canon 5D and an L zoom once I've added flare and blurred them.

Melaka
24th December 2016, 08:19 AM

That's one of the most uncharitable posts I've seen on this forum.

Harold Gough
24th December 2016, 08:56 AM
I do not remove it from my images. I always give my summary of what I consider to be the relevant data, not least because my lenses are mostly manual film lenses and will not register model or aperture in the EXIF anyway.

Harold

Naughty Nigel
24th December 2016, 09:37 AM
That's one of the most uncharitable posts I've seen on this forum.

..... But given my experience is entirely understandable.

In my case the guilty party hadn't even bothered to research the Nikon LS9000C. Had he or she done so they would have known it was a film scanner, not a camera. :rolleyes:

I have just tried in Google, and it took all of 0.43 seconds!

Daveart
24th December 2016, 10:05 AM
Hi I think, maintaining the exit data, is important in that some images have been known to be illegally downloaded and used, I know some may say that the images are to small, but at a photographic club we had an professional person who did demo's one of which he got an image of 1024 x 768 And used a pro software that increased it, s size to a 20 x 16 inch print with very good and usable prints.
Moral being in court cases best to keep exit data intact to prove authorise proof of ownership etc....

Naughty Nigel
24th December 2016, 11:30 AM
Hi I think, maintaining the exit data, is important in that some images have been known to be illegally downloaded and used, I know some may say that the images are to small, but at a photographic club we had an professional person who did demo's one of which he got an image of 1024 x 768 And used a pro software that increased it, s size to a 20 x 16 inch print with very good and usable prints.
Moral being in court cases best to keep exit data intact to prove authorise proof of ownership etc....

As long as you have the original film or file, (ideally a camera RAW file) with EXIF data, that is all that is needed.

In any case, it is easy enough to edit the EXIF data in a Jpeg, so that provides no protection at all.

Harold Gough
24th December 2016, 11:40 AM
As long as you have the original film or file, (ideally a camera RAW file) with EXIF data, that is all that is needed.

It is not worth much unless you have set your camera to name you for copyright.

Harold

Naughty Nigel
24th December 2016, 11:43 AM
It is not worth much unless you have set your camera to name you for copyright.

Harold

The RAW file usually contains the camera's serial number, so if it is your camera......

Harold Gough
24th December 2016, 01:45 PM
The RAW file usually contains the camera's serial number, so if it is your camera......

In a forum where there is much interest in new versions of camera bodies or new models...

Harold

Daveart
24th December 2016, 04:12 PM

In any case, it is easy enough to edit the EXIF data in a Jpeg, so that provides no protection at all.

Hi, if they edit the exit then you then it is criminal intent, I all keep the raw a d it always has my name copyrighted in it with the serial numbers of camera and lenses all registered to me any way.

birdboy
24th December 2016, 04:37 PM
I prefer to see exif data because I want to learn and understand how others are getting the images they do. I have some astro processing software that strips the exif which means that I cannot post to MyOlympus gallery which is a problem for me and others wanting to show what Olympus cameras can do.

I would think that those that edit exif data my find they have invalidated their copyright so any image they post maybe freely copied and used without breaching the copyright it is after all a fraudulent copy anyway.:rolleyes:

IainMacD
24th December 2016, 04:43 PM
I have Lightroom setup to export with Exif data intact automatically, but recently entered a competition that required all Exit/metadata to be removed from images, that proved quite a challenge!

alfbranch
24th December 2016, 05:52 PM
Exif data is useful to help critique shots especially when trying to work out whether as shot is blurred due to being out focus or camera shake etc.

Or why something is out of focus due to small aperture giving lack of Dof or derfracton

It also helps to advise on modes etc to use.

OM USer
29th December 2016, 06:25 PM
EXIF data is always handy to have a look at.

Harold Gough
31st December 2016, 09:36 AM
Hi, if they edit the exit then you then it is criminal intent
Only if done so for gain.

Harold

Harold Gough
5th January 2017, 03:40 PM
My EM-1 EXIF data includes the serial numbers of m4/3 lenses used but NOT that of the camera body. There is just a space where it should be. I have been unable to access to enter it.

Harold

Naughty Nigel
5th January 2017, 03:48 PM
My EM-1 EXIF data includes the serial numbers of m4/3 lenses used but NOT that of the camera body. There is just a space where it should be. I have been unable to access to enter it.

Harold

There are certain functions in Adobe PS that can be set to work with specific camera serial numbers.

There must be a way of enabling it somehow, but I suspect it has something to do with data protection, and tracing 'anonymous' photographers through serial numbers.

I remember there was a case a few years ago where photographs had been broadcast by an anonymous photographer from his Canon camera. I cannot remember the subject, but there was a great deal of public interest in it.

Canon said they could identify the photographer through the serial number, which was embedded in the image even when the EXIF data was stripped, but they would not do so.

This is similar to the recent case where Apple refused to unlock a dead terrorist's iPhone.

Ricoh
16th March 2017, 12:34 AM

I have a need (*) to modify JPEG EXIF data and I'm wondering how I can do this.
If you (or anyone else) could advise how I could do this, I would be obliged.
Many thanks.

* I'm calibrating a Sekonic L-758

peak4
16th March 2017, 01:45 AM
I have a need (*) to modify JPEG EXIF data and I'm wondering how I can do this.
If you (or anyone else) could advise how I could do this, I would be obliged.
Many thanks.

* I'm calibrating a Sekonic L-758

Try Phil Harvey's Exiftool (http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/), or do a search for same, as there's a GUI (https://hvdwolf.github.io/pyExifToolGUI/) for it too.

Sorry for the brief reply, but it's bedtime.

Crazy Dave
16th March 2017, 07:27 AM
There are certain functions in Adobe PS that can be set to work with specific camera serial numbers.

There must be a way of enabling it somehow, but I suspect it has something to do with data protection, and tracing 'anonymous' photographers through serial numbers.

I remember there was a case a few years ago where photographs had been broadcast by an anonymous photographer from his Canon camera. I cannot remember the subject, but there was a great deal of public interest in it.

Canon said they could identify the photographer through the serial number, which was embedded in the image even when the EXIF data was stripped, but they would not do so.

This is similar to the recent case where Apple refused to unlock a dead terrorist's iPhone.

I remember the Apple case. However, two days ago, I visited a fascinating demo in the Old Truman Brewery on Brick Lane, London. There were three young Aussies showing 3D printing, AI, holograms and virtual reality. We got onto the subject of hacking into computer systems through chipped domestic devices like fridges, TVs, etc. Interestingly, the 27 year old owner of the firm doing the demo said that he could hack into my iPhone in 10 minutes. I believed him.

David

Ricoh
16th March 2017, 09:43 AM
Try Phil Harvey's Exiftool (http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/), or do a search for same, as there's a GUI (https://hvdwolf.github.io/pyExifToolGUI/) for it too.

Sorry for the brief reply, but it's bedtime.
Thank you, I'll give it a go.

I wonder if it was this programme that Naughty Nigel was referring to, or does he he know of another method?

Naughty Nigel
16th March 2017, 03:38 PM
Thank you, I'll give it a go.

I wonder if it was this programme that Naughty Nigel was referring to, or does he he know of another method?

You can edit certain fields in Photoshop, (File, Properties, etc.), and also in Windows Explorer by right clicking on the file and selecting Properties.

This is possible in *.jpg, *.tiff and *.psd files, but not camera raw files.

I haven't tried Exiftool, but I suspect it allows access to fields that cannot be edited in Photoshop or Explorer.

Does Exiftool allow EXIF data in raw files to be edited I wonder?

Ricoh
16th March 2017, 05:30 PM
You can edit certain fields in Photoshop, (File, Properties, etc.), and also in Windows Explorer by right clicking on the file and selecting Properties.

This is possible in *.jpg, *.tiff and *.psd files, but not camera raw files.

I haven't tried Exiftool, but I suspect it allows access to fields that cannot be edited in Photoshop or Explorer.

Does Exiftool allow EXIF data in raw files to be edited I wonder?
I'm not a Photoshop user, unfortunately, Lightroom only.
On face value, Windows properties should allow you to delete all 'private' data by selecting all and hitting delete. However, when the JPEG image is opened in Sekonic's Data Transfer Software the exposure details are still there.

David M
16th March 2017, 09:25 PM
If you've got an Android phone or tablet Photo Exif Editor allows you to edit dozens of fields.

Ricoh
17th March 2017, 12:11 AM
If you've got an Android phone or tablet Photo Exif Editor allows you to edit dozens of fields.
I'm an apple user but my wife has android devices. From your experience, does Photo EXIF Editor work?

David M
17th March 2017, 12:20 AM
Well, according to the EXIF this was taken on film in the 90's with an OM2N.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/3142507.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/90679)